373 replies to this topic

#241 shannon leto's lezbean

shannon leto's lezbean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is long past beating a dead horse, now. You've stopped being relevant or entertaining somewhere back on previous pages. If you're done rubbing your mad spot and offering lukewarm jabs you have my permission to move on, little man.

#242 Jeto_9999

Jeto_9999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

Little man??? Do not try to be like me or mimic my speech  at any point as this will just get worse :)
Realizing what a fucking cock you have and are making of yourself yet sweetheart?

Shut the fuck up then now.
YOU CANNOT BEAT THE BATMAN!!!

#243 Jeto_9999

Jeto_9999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

View Postpasiphae9, on 23 March 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Oh jeto, how did this forum ever function without you? :wub:
I'd emoticon at you a smile, but you know me well enough to know I use them as a piss take.
So luv luv luv to you.
Keep smiling.

#244 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

We interupt this program for some serious Batman

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now back to your regular scheduled program.

#245 wildhorses

wildhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

No new revelation to say lol! Just sharing thoughts of the day after reading and seeing a few things this week :D

I received a newsletter that in among other things, promote an actual temporary exhibition in London.
As they talk about the artist (no need to say the name, you all will certainly guess), they don't choose to use words like talented, creative, brilliant, ingenious etc... No, they choose, to say: I quote “the most expensive artist, the wealthiest, the most productive in the world, is finally given a retrospective that will be a reference “

I also saw a part of a documentary about music success. They talked about an artist that “came back” and got great success offering shows with big lights, important staging... but lip-synching... Journalists only talk about decisions made on image and communication, not much about the artistic work.

On the road to big success, I believe creativity is no longer much about artistic fields as the time when producers and galleries justified their existence by taking risks to either introduce new artists or support artists they believed in belongs in the past.
It's a whole mentality that has changed, business people making decision and it looks like the successful artists wouldn't  have much choice than choose to be part of the financial masquerade to subside in this productive universe held by huge corporations even if they wanted it to be otherwise (don't think they would all really want it to be otherwise anyway).
Forth, creativity seems to light up in marketing certainly to the detriment to the artistic process where everyone has a responsibility, the consumer and media included.

The marsmen seem to find out some solutions to get some liberties as in his interview with Randi Zuckerberg, Jared says to justify Vyrt:
“[...]Most of the time in the live space, you have to ask for a sponsorship, you have to get some capital somehow in order to create something special and valuable, you have to ask for money from people, either your record company or some corporate sponsors, and Vyrt really allows the ability to not have to go out and ask for that.”

But big corporations or not, the masquerade needs to go on in the chase of funds.
After all, they also chose that the big announcement would be revealed with a pic of Jared on Jared's facebook instead of 30stm facebook eventhough they have more than 8m of likes.

The 8 million which also makes me wondering. I was working for a while on a project for a promo/performance when Artifact would be released but with the amount of fans + their marketing and strategy of communication now well established and growing big, the project seems quite pathetic... And since I'm running out of time for my own projects, I'm seriously wondering...
You guys think it still matters to promote and be creative on our side or is it really just now a grain of sand in the desert that would have no interesting impact?
I've got the feeling that the “echelon work” now is only about entertaining the echelon itself to make “loyal clients” (not saying it wasn't something that already existing before) and I personally don't need that if this is the only thing left in promoting.

#246 lady elena

lady elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

View Postwildhorses, on 08 April 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

No new revelation to say lol! Just sharing thoughts of the day after reading and seeing a few things this week :D

I received a newsletter that in among other things, promote an actual temporary exhibition in London.
As they talk about the artist (no need to say the name, you all will certainly guess), they don't choose to use words like talented, creative, brilliant, ingenious etc... No, they choose, to say: I quote “the most expensive artist, the wealthiest, the most productive in the world, is finally given a retrospective that will be a reference “

I also saw a part of a documentary about music success. They talked about an artist that “came back” and got great success offering shows with big lights, important staging... but lip-synching... Journalists only talk about decisions made on image and communication, not much about the artistic work.

On the road to big success, I believe creativity is no longer much about artistic fields as the time when producers and galleries justified their existence by taking risks to either introduce new artists or support artists they believed in belongs in the past.
It's a whole mentality that has changed, business people making decision and it looks like the successful artists wouldn't  have much choice than choose to be part of the financial masquerade to subside in this productive universe held by huge corporations even if they wanted it to be otherwise (don't think they would all really want it to be otherwise anyway).
Forth, creativity seems to light up in marketing certainly to the detriment to the artistic process where everyone has a responsibility, the consumer and media included.

The marsmen seem to find out some solutions to get some liberties as in his interview with Randi Zuckerberg, Jared says to justify Vyrt:
“[...]Most of the time in the live space, you have to ask for a sponsorship, you have to get some capital somehow in order to create something special and valuable, you have to ask for money from people, either your record company or some corporate sponsors, and Vyrt really allows the ability to not have to go out and ask for that.”

But big corporations or not, the masquerade needs to go on in the chase of funds.
After all, they also chose that the big announcement would be revealed with a pic of Jared on Jared's facebook instead of 30stm facebook eventhough they have more than 8m of likes.

The 8 million which also makes me wondering. I was working for a while on a project for a promo/performance when Artifact would be released but with the amount of fans + their marketing and strategy of communication now well established and growing big, the project seems quite pathetic... And since I'm running out of time for my own projects, I'm seriously wondering...
You guys think it still matters to promote and be creative on our side or is it really just now a grain of sand in the desert that would have no interesting impact?
I've got the feeling that the “echelon work” now is only about entertaining the echelon itself to make “loyal clients” (not saying it wasn't something that already existing before) and I personally don't need that if this is the only thing left in promoting.

I agree why is this all coming from JAred and not 30stm. I'm still yet to see a twitter from Shannon on this whole vyrt show comin up.

#247 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I'm seriously wondering...
1. You and I have bantered back and forth on this one. It surely seems that you are correct and as much as my gut and my soul does not want it to be true, it is. Artistic success, no matter what the medium, is no longer about just talent in the medium but the ability to market ones self to success. Or maybe it has always been that way, it's just more "in your face" now. It's a tough pill to swallow, as an artist, because the dream is to be successful simply because one is good and people enjoy one's work. I thank you and mars for pounding the reality into my thick noggin.

2. Yes. Entertaining the fanbase to make loyal clients. That's my vote. OOPS I DON'T VOTE. :P

The magic left awhile ago. The curtain fell. Dorthy has seen the real Wizard of Oz.
It happens.
The guy who was not a wizard still managed to help her get home again tho'...

#248 wildhorses

wildhorses

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostCandyO, on 09 April 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

The magic left awhile ago. The curtain fell. Dorthy has seen the real Wizard of Oz.
It happens.

I like that conclusion ;) I guess we're done with this subject now...

#249 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Even tho you(s) just squashed the subject. lol

Good post. I think the idea of promoting the Echelon to build a community (/various communities) within themselves was something they were aiming for since probably the beginning. I can't really put into words what I have in mind when I think about the beginning and I do think it would sound wrong from every angle if I tried to explain.

View PostCandyO, on 09 April 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

1. You and I have bantered back and forth on this one. It surely seems that you are correct and as much as my gut and my soul does not want it to be true, it is. Artistic success, no matter what the medium, is no longer about just talent in the medium but the ability to market ones self to success. Or maybe it has always been that way, it's just more "in your face" now. It's a tough pill to swallow, as an artist, because the dream is to be successful simply because one is good and people enjoy one's work. I thank you and mars for pounding the reality into my thick noggin.

2. Yes. Entertaining the fanbase to make loyal clients. That's my vote. OOPS I DON'T VOTE. :P

It happens.
I did want to mention that, well it is the entertainment industry  ... swagger (/the ability to grab and hold attention/A "face"/style/image/ability to market oneself/a group/the 'x'/'it' factor) is pretty much a definite when a band is looking for their front man/woman or sometimes as their main guitarist or bassist. SOMEBODY has to have it. You have to be able to ...otherwise it makes for a boring ass show and chances are you wouldn't grow much of a following which could or would make it harder to remain your passion. It isn't anymore out there than it was before. Video killed the radio star. clink

It's just that this whole model(LOL) turned actor turned musician turned actor thing follows this band, AND people, still, feed right into it.

#250 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm thinking Jared could perhaps be feeling a little disappointed seeing us discuss his band from a business side angle and then not re-post here a source of info he's handing us over through The Hive. So here goes:

HOW MUCH DO MUSIC ARTISTS EARN ONLINE?

APRIL 13, 2010

Recently, the UK government passed The Digital Economy Act which included many, perhaps draconian, measures to combat online music piracy (including withdrawing broadband access for persistent pirates).

Much was proclaimed about how these new laws would protect musicians and artists revenueand livelihoods.

But how much money do musicians really get paid in this new digital marketplace?

Posted Image

This image is based on an excellent post at The Cynical Musician called The Paradise That Should Have Been about pitiful digital royalties. (Thanks to Neilon for pointing that out). I've taken his calculations and added a few more.

As ever, this was incredibly difficult to research. Industry figures are hard to get hold of. Some are even secret. Last.Fm's royalty and payment system is beyond comprehension. (If you can explain it to me, please get in touch)

Note: these figures do not include publishing royalties (paid to composers of songs). The full spreadsheet of data does though. You can see all the numbers and sources here:http://bit.ly/DigitalRoyalty

If you have any experiences, data or royalty statements to share, please post below!

SOURCES: THECYNICALMUSICIAN.COM, DIGITAL AUDIO INSIDER, BASCA.ORG.UK,PRSFORMUSIC.COM, MUSICALLY.COM
DATA: DIGITAL ROYALTIES
RESEARCH: DAVID MCCANDLESS, CAROLINE FLYN, TOBY SLATER, JAMES KEY
DESIGN: DAVID MCCANDLESS

Source: http://www.informati...ts-earn-online/
(via: http://thirtyseconds...ts-make-online/)

(Note: read the comments too.)

This turned out to be a serious bummer for me. I'm an avid Spotify user and I'd been thinking the artists were getting a fair deal out of this.

#251 Prehensile

Prehensile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postmamanchat, on 21 April 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

[Some good points]

Thanks for reposting this here! Ugh, its true the industry I've chosen to stick with is in major need of a facelift

#252 J30STM

J30STM

"Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

A band that will post following
".@VyRTnet will pursue ANY parties that pirate/ re-distribute the show in any way w/ all resources avail to the fullest extent of the law."

https://twitter.com/...287206179094529

is all about business & money.

I remember the time when they urged fans to "steal" the album off the web when needed.....the times are a changing

#253 Adeena

Adeena

Releasing my inner sociopath...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Here's some more money grubbing.

http://30secondstoma...px?cp=366_54045

#254 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

"Regarding Illegal Distribution of this Event, via video, audio, etc.: We at VyRT want to protect the experience and support the Believers who purchased tickets. Therefore, will pursue ANY parties that pirate or re-distribute this event in any fashion with all resources available to the fullest extent of the law. Questions regarding this may be directed to help@vyrt.net. Thank you."

You know what gets my goat the most about this? Not just that the band used to encourage err, free file sharing, ahem, but that the new company VYRT is willing to pursue any "illegal distribution" of the event that was A. purchased initially one would think B. Was uploaded for others to view, with the up loader receiving NO money in exchange for C. random people watching it for free...

... meanwhile they still don't "actively pursue" those parties, many who claim to be "echelon" who manufacture and sell unlicensed 30 seconds to mars merchandise to other so called "echelon" FOR PROFIT.

Gets my goat, it does. Be consistent.  -_-

In other news... I'm a capitalist but good heavens, if your company profits decreased from last year, why the heck are you still earning 4 to 11 million a year? No wonder the musical artists are feeling unappreciated, unpaid and are looking for ways to cash in.
What Do Music’s Corporate Bosses Make? All Eyes on Live Nation: Irving Azoff, Michael Rapino and  Nathan Hubbard

#255 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostCandyO, on 30 April 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

"Regarding Illegal Distribution of this Event, via video, audio, etc.: We at VyRT want to protect the experience and support the Believers who purchased tickets. Therefore, will pursue ANY parties that pirate or re-distribute this event in any fashion with all resources available to the fullest extent of the law. Questions regarding this may be directed to help@vyrt.net. Thank you."

Posted Image

You know what gets my goat the most about this? Not just that the band used to encourage err, free file sharing, ahem, but that the new company VYRT is willing to pursue any "illegal distribution" of the event that was A. purchased initially one would think B. Was uploaded for others to view, with the up loader receiving NO money in exchange for C. random people watching it for free...

"steal music from napster while you have the chance..."

Posted Image

"question authority but don't forget to do what you're told..."

In other news... I'm a capitalist but good heavens, if your company profits decreased from last year, why the heck are you still earning 4 to 11 million a year? No wonder the musical artists are feeling unappreciated, unpaid and are looking for ways to cash in.
What Do Music’s Corporate Bosses Make? All Eyes on Live Nation: Irving Azoff, Michael Rapino and  Nathan Hubbard

So, if VyRT is the search for another way to do things, let me ask a question about the premise.

Posted Image

Do the people who participated actually feel like they had a "social" experience?

#256 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

LOL @ Jared with the gun. How suitable.

I did feel it was a social experience. Not in the sense that you were having a barbie with a bunch of friends outdoors, enjoying a good conversation and laughter. But I did meet some nice people online and in that sense, yes it was. The possibility of seeing the band in a different light was also cool. It almost gave you the feeling that you were there hanging out with them. Some people met with other Echelon fans and had parties so to them it was probably a lot more of a social experience.

I feel the whole VyRT thing kinda is groundbreaking.

#257 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Kind of off-topic, but I am uncertain as to where else to share this, but anyway, the past couple of days there has been this Coca-Cola commercial from the early 90s with Jared in it (it involved some choreographed rollerskating and such), but now apparently, it is being removed from some places online, due to Jared/Sisyphus Corporation's request? That is sort of perplexing, as I would assume that they possess no copyright or control over things having to do with coca-cola...

Posted Image

#258 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

This is getting quite theatrical.

#259 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostCoco Converse, on 01 May 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Kind of off-topic, but I am uncertain as to where else to share this, but anyway, the past couple of days there has been this Coca-Cola commercial from the early 90s with Jared in it (it involved some choreographed rollerskating and such), but now apparently, it is being removed from some places online, due to Jared/Sisyphus Corporation's request? That is sort of perplexing, as I would assume that they possess no copyright or control over things having to do with coca-cola...

The youtube video was deleted due to EMI copyrights.

About virtual social experience: sounds catchy but I wasn't expecting  much of that. I'm not so much into social media - ok I hang out here but I'm not on twitter, and my facebook account just exists but I  barely use it.
I got to meet and chat with some people here and there during vyrt and  that was a lot of fun. On the other hand most of the chats took place  during palm tree moments, black screen moments, some Jared talking moments. Was the event more  organised I would probably watch it just like a TV show.
And mabye I'm naive but yes vyrt gave an impression of hanging out with the  band, especially the after-goodbye part which I enjoyed the most :).

#260 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

30 Seconds To Mars marketing strategy for China:

"A message to China from Jared"

http://www.tudou.com...ew/NUGMPJVsZ_Y/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The introduction is followed by the music-videos for 'Kings&Queens' and 'From Yesterday'.

Source: http://thirtyseconds...ina-from-jared/

Notes:

- Yi Zhou: "Yi Zhou is a Chinese artist, who was born in Shanghai, but grew up in Hangzhou and Rome. She graduated in Political Science and Economics between London (LSE) and Paris (AUP). She currently splits her time between Paris and Shanghai, and has a degree in Political Science and Economics.[1]Yi Zhou is the art director of Tudou.com, the would-be Chinese Youtube since 2010. ... Yi Zhou is a modern-day Chinese Hitchcock and Cindy Sherman; she is from the Twitter/Instagram and Tumblr generation, an image maker and fashion muse, switching front and back of the camera." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Zhou)

- weibo: "Weibo (微博) is the Chinese word for "microblog(ging)". It refers to microblogging services in China. They are mostly restricted to the services based in China, because of media censorship controlled by Chinese government." (http://en.wikipedia....ogging_in_China)

ETA: Jared on weibo.com: http://www.weibo.com/u/2395418254

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users