• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 LastTear

LastTear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

I am just wondering does anyone know Jared vocal range?  I am very curious. I think he has a great voice, very unique.   ;)

#2 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I don`t know but I wish I knew. It probably goes all the was to Mars from Earth. Please ignore my retarded answer.  :P

#3 J30STM

J30STM

"Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

All I know it's not what it used to be...

#4 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 04 January 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

I don`t know but I wish I knew. It probably goes all the was to Mars from Earth.

or better 93 milion miles ;)

J30STM said:

All I know it's not what it used to be...

oh, i think he just needs a good rest

#5 IsylyaEleni

IsylyaEleni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

And you never know what's actually real and what's been doctored. And you can't always go by what he does live either because it may just be that he's not comfortable with with certain intervalic leaps.

#6 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Isn`t vocal range something that doesn`t really change? I always thought it was a gift from the Heavens above, or below.

#7 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

i'm no expert in this but my brother's friend few years back had a nice voice range he could perfectly sing iron maiden songs but since he got into growling he can't sing as well as before. mabye if he started training his voice or something it could come back

#8 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Jared has a distinct vocal type overall. This is kinda a hard question to answer.... I'll tell you what, give the old man a call :)

#9 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostI.R.A, on 05 January 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Jared has a distinct vocal type overall. This is kinda a hard question to answer.... I'll tell you what, give the old man a call :)

good idea :) do you have old man's phone number?  :D

but there's a purgatory thread "questions for 2012" why not post this question there...

#10 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

:( no i don't. i thought only the eche3lonz were worthy of calling jare?

#11 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

:( oh i was hoping for that number thought we could get a quick answer for our question  :D

#12 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Maybe Spectral Tiger has it? Tiger? we need you!!!

#13 IsylyaEleni

IsylyaEleni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 05 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Isn`t vocal range something that doesn`t really change? I always thought it was a gift from the Heavens above, or below.

Vocal range can change if the muscles grow or shrink. And you can train it. Like you would train for sports. I mean, you have your natural range, but you can expand it with enough practice.

But there are certain pitches he may be able to reach but doesn't in concert because he's not comfortable with the interval necessary to reach it, or he may not be able to hit it every time. At the same time, though, some pitches on the CDs may be faked. I mean, that's what new-fangled digital electronic crap is for, right? I think...we should run warm-ups. Make him run up and down scales and arpeggios.

#14 Mars.echelon

Mars.echelon

Not So Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

your vocal range does decrease with age, you lose muscle mass, coordination, etc that you had in your younger years (examples are The Who, Elton John and many others). In my opinion Jared's voice reached its peak somewhere between 2006-2008. His voice was perfect, he could sing the high notes so easily and his voice sounded so clean and smooth when he did that (and he did play over 400 shows during the ABL era). Now he avoids the high notes and even when he doesn't, his voice doesn't sound as good. Whenever I go through ABL live performances on youtube, like Rock Am Ring 2007 or MTV Latin awards, I notice the difference immediately. Back then what you'd hear on the album is what you'd hear during a concert (singing quality-wise). Now it's not quite like that anymore.
Obviously being tired from touring constantly makes it even worse, but it's not the only reason. When they come back in 2 or 3 years, I honestly don't expect 43-year-old Jared to sound better than he did 5 or 8 years before. His voice is still beautiful though when he isn't singing the high notes.

#15 bluehorizon

bluehorizon

Major General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Jared is a baritone
With proper diaphragmatic support he can reach into a higher register. Without the support it is weak, strained or misses those higher notes.

He does do warm-up arpeggios, drinks tea, water, wears scarves and all the correct prep prior to perfoming.
That still can't make up for exhaustion, dehydration, lack of vocal rest, strain on the vocal chords by screaming or running around while trying to sing. Singing while sick, forcing the vocal range or volume can also cause damage.  Over an extended period of time all of those issues will take a toll on the voice.
The vocal chords are a very delicate muscle that can be easily injured.
Jared's voice had a marked difference at the end from the beginning of touring.

Noting what was stated about the high notes on the CD. In a studio environment he had the opportunity to be relaxed, loose and warmed up. He would also be stationary and not running around giving him the ability to have good support.

*I've never heard him hit the high notes live in CTTE

As far as age and vocal range, it depends on a person's natural vocal abilities and training. With proper
care and continued use (use it or lose it) a classical vocalist can maintain their range late in life like Pavarotti or Joan Sutherland. Rock vocalists are notorious for wrecking their voices by pushing it too hard. Injury, nodes etc
I read not too long ago that Adele had vocal hemorrhaging. Pinching and rasping the voice repeatedly can cause terrible damage. This is her trademark style, it is no surprise that she had problems like this.

#16 RedRaven

RedRaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

View Postbluehorizon, on 05 January 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Jared is a baritone...
Thanks bluehorizon. I like when people actually know stuff. It's new & different.

And yeah, I know J has done himself damage big-time throughout this tour. I've seen moments where it was like... "Okay *wince* just a sec while I rip a hole in my vocal cords before continuing..." You could tell he was forcing his body to do something it really didn't want to do at that time.

He does sound different than he used to, even when he's not sick or anything. Not bad, just different. How much of that is just natural & how much is damage I don't know. But he also sings differently... not as tightly controlled... which means there are going to be more moments where things go a little off live.

Hopefully rest will help prevent those bad moments, but I'm more worried about him not killing himself than whether or not he sounds like he did 6 years ago. He still sounds damn good.

#17 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Jared is a baritone
With proper diaphragmatic support he can reach into a higher register. Without the support it is weak, strained or misses those higher notes.

He does do warm-up arpeggios, drinks tea, water, wears scarves and all the correct prep prior to perfoming.
That still can't make up for exhaustion, dehydration, lack of vocal rest, strain on the vocal chords by screaming or running around while trying to sing. Singing while sick, forcing the vocal range or volume can also cause damage.  Over an extended period of time all of those issues will take a toll on the voice.

Noting what was stated about the high notes on the CD. In a studio environment he had the opportunity to be relaxed, loose and warmed up. He would also be stationary and not running around giving him the ability to have good support.

*I've never heard him hit the high notes live in CTTE

As far as age and vocal range, it depends on a person's natural vocal abilities and training. With proper
care and continued use (use it or lose it) a classical vocalist can maintain their range late in life like Pavarotti or Joan Sutherland. Rock vocalists are notorious for wrecking their voices by pushing it too hard. Injury, nodes etc
I read not too long ago that Adele had vocal hemorrhaging. Pinching and rasping the voice repeatedly can cause terrible damage. This is trademark style, it is no surprise that she had problems like this.
thankyou and very true. It would be interesting however to see what kind of vocal style he uses on the next album

#18 IsylyaEleni

IsylyaEleni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Jared is a baritone

I didn't mean for my comment about running warm-ups to sound bitchy. I meant that if we did, we'd be able to assess more accurately what his range may be than if we just documented every note he has been recorded singing.

#19 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostI.R.A, on 05 January 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Maybe Spectral Tiger has it? Tiger? we need you!!!

0-800... are you indirectly calling me an Eche3lon(z)?  :P

#20 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

honestly Tiger, that 3 wasn't supposed to end up in the word. so just echelonz  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users