#41 Potnez

Potnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

View PostMistressred, on 28 December 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Ok I must have missed something during Christmas away. So the band offered a present of sorts for 5.00? Some extra footage from the Unplugged show?

You pay 5$ and you've got a link to download a HD and SD 30min-video of MTV Unplugged:
- 2min of backstage w/ the band
- Hurricane/K&Q/NOTH/WTSHNN + half of Alibi

Basically, the only difference between this VyRT and what MTV already put on their website is:
- 2min of backstage + half of Alibi
- no CTTE

View PostMistressred, on 28 December 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

I don't know if it was accessible later, as I remember people asking where it all went. So if you never found a way to record it or save it I think you were SOL. I think it is an experiment, to see what people want, and are willing to pay for, not everyone wants merch cluttering up their homes.

I don't think you can still watch it, but I may be wrong. As I said earlier, it's easy to find somewhere on the internet a link to download the whole 3hours show+backstage stuff.
If you take a look at what is RT-ed by the band and official MARS-related account, people seem to want it, this whole VyRT solution.
And that's also why we, thanks to Pitchouill, created this thread. To see if we're the only one who're weirded out by how the band use this technology... and how much they made us pay for it.

#42 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

The band creates and a lot of work goes into it. If it was you and your work, your creations, would you give it away freely? Maybe at the beginning to promote yourself but probably not once you had enough people who demanded your work. That`s how it rolls and Jared`s a businessman, probably as good a businessman as he is an artist.

Maybe $5 is a lot, perhaps they should`ve included CTTE (anyone noticed that it`s also gone from the Unplugged on iTunes?) but $5 is roughly the equivalent of what I spend on two soy mocchas on the campus (and coffee`s cheap on the campus), which will be drank in 1 hour. This download of the Unplugged you can keep as long as you want to or until your computer catches a virus, if you don`t have a backup for it.

Just moi 2 cents, or 2 parahraphs.  :)

#43 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

Live stream for Mars300 was good idea (price could be lower of course ;)). Fans anywhere could be a part of it. I didn't buy it just because it was in the middle of the week and if i showed up the next day at work after a sleepless night my boss would have killed me. The time difference between NY and my place is 6 hours :( So in my case it was VyRT & death.

IMO VyRT is just another way to get to fans and sell product. Let's face it - it's not charity, it's free market. You agree with the price and you buy, otherwise you don't. But i have mixed feelings about all the atmosphere Jared does about it - that it's all so special, for you and all those RT on twitter. He almost got me I have to admit. My first thought for MTV unplugged was "Oh yes, how nice and I can afford 5$ it's not a fortune" then I took a deep breath and thought "wait a minute haven't i seen this like dosens of times on MTV website for free..."

If they decide to release Artifact or Tour DVD on VyRT i'll probably buy it depends on price.

#44 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:34 AM

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and the comments within it on people's opinions on VyRT.

Personally, I totally agree that the live streaming for the Mars 300 concert was a good idea, since they were hyping this particular show up so much, it would only be generous to allow an option for those whom could not be in New York City that night be apart of it in someway. Additionally, as I am quoting Candy O from other threads, that people whom twititioned, retweeting, badgering, etc. got exactly what they asked for when they were demanding a live stream of the Mars 300... except, they forgot to mention one vital, key word... FREE! With that, indubitably the band took advantage of the idea, and charged fifteen dollars for a streaming of the show, including backstage footage and all.

When it came down to VyRT offering the MTV Unplugged performance for five dollars, they definitely raised an eyebrow out of myself. For numero uno, ever since the summer, the MTV Unplugged performance has been available to watch for free via MTV.com, and has even been broadcasted on MTV in the early morning a couple of times, as well as on the channel Palladia. To charge the fans five dollars to simply watch two minutes in total of Alibi and quick, backstage footage, that is an absolute shame. Ahh, and one of my first thought as well once they were advertising this as a Christmas present to the fans, was 'Whom pays for their own Christmas gift!?'

Finally, if Artifact and the tour DVD will only be available via VyRT once they are done... goodness, I might go and snap something in half. I never jumped upon the digital music bandwagon, as it simply cannot compare to owning a physical album or DVD, in which will be in your hands and possession for life *unless you happen to lose it breaks somehow*. Whereas, digital downloads can easily get deleted or lost off of any computer, whether it be from a nasty trojan or virus, or if you simply happen to get a new computer or laptop... in which, I did get a new computer set up within the last month, and I happened to have a few songs I purchased digitally from the iTunes store. Once my new computer was set up and I had iTunes reinstalled, it was practically impossible for myself to retrieve those digital mp3s onto my new computer.

One last comment: It is my personal preference to watch things such as the MTV Unplugged, Artifact, and any tour DVDs in the comfort of my living room, curled up on the couch with a pillow and blanket, and popping the DVD in on the giant flat screen, with stereo-surround sound. :) ...not being chained to my computer, sitting in a chair for quite some time with headphones!

#45 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

View PostPitchouill, on 28 December 2011 - 02:19 PM, said:

In fact, I would be really disappointed if all the eventual next videos from the band were posted in this website just like MARSUnplugged was. It would make me feel more like a humanized purse than a fan/Echelon/whatever...  :mellow:

Yikes! As in, paying to watch their music videos/short films are you indicating? They had Hurricane up on the front page of their website for months to watch for free in high-definition, so perhaps one day, we will not be able to watch any of their videos unless we pay for it via VyRT? :( *which then, they will give us a download for our computers* ...guess we better enjoy their YouTube/Vevo channel while we still can!

#46 MyThoughtsNotYours

MyThoughtsNotYours

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

I would have to say that I agree, more or less, with what everybody is saying here.  I didn't have to worry about buying Mars300 because I was actually at the concert, but I probably would have bought it otherwise.  It was an interesting way of including everyone who couldn't go to NYC and I think 3+ hours would be worth $15.  But paying to watch MTVUnplugged?  :blink: You've got to be kidding! It's been on tv for free countless times and I can't imagine that 2 mins of extras and 1/2 of Alibi would be worth $5.

As far as releasing the tour DVD and Artifact on VYRT only, you can count me out.  I want an actual DVD, not a download.  Like Coco said, I want to watch it from the comfort of my sofa with surround sound, not in front of my computer with headphones.  And I can only imagine how many hours it would take my computer to download it.

I really don't want to get involved in the bitch fest about the band selling out, but I do want to say that IMO I don't think they are in it for just the money.  I think that they do still care about the music and the fans, but if they can get rich from it, why not.  Unless I know what they were thinking and who is really making the decisions, I will hold off on making any judgements.

#47 Julchen

Julchen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

I agree with more or less everything here.

Mars300 was great, I couldn't afford it (I had to decide: either VyRT or buy food for a week...basically VyRT or eat) but my friend bought if for me. It was nice, fun and the backstage stuff was really good to see.
But the MTV Unplugged? Really? Even for me, who hasn't seen and never will see it on TV, it didn't make sense. The link was sent to me and I donwloaded it for free (yes...I'm a bad but broke fan  :rolleyes: ) ...and really, people with a slow internet connection don't only pay with money but with nerves too. If your access is as shitty as mine at home, it'll take almost half a day, tears of anger when the connection dies and much more  :angry:

If they will release future videos, documentaries or whatever only digitally, I want to know where to send my letters of complaint to. I was SO extremely disappointed when they stopped producing hardcopy singles and sold them only digitally...I never bought a single after K&Q (or TIW?) because...yeah, for what? I already had the songs on my computer, I didn't need to buy them just to have TWO files of them  :angry:

and if they release Artifact on VyRT but not as an actual DVD...as I said, I want to know where I can send my letter of complaint to :lol: (that's a threat, my English teachers used to call my letters "quite scary and intimidating"  :lol: )

Edited by Julchen, 02 January 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#48 Aitzi

Aitzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

There's a little problem apart from this money thing. There's a big par of the "Echelon" (I don't know if I should use this word with them) who would pay for EVERYTHING they release. New merch, every VyRT stuff, extra expensive golden tickets... What happens if these girls (cause the most of them are girls) say "yes" to every word they say? They will continue asking for more money. I remember Jared asking in the Q&A of the Mars300 if people would repeat this VyRT experience, all the girls in the chat said "OH MY GOD, YES!!". So, they'll continue doing this kind of things for money 'cause they know there's people who will pay for it. They can lose some fans (old and good fans, those who has been here for years), but they'll have the ones who pay for everything, even for a bottled sweat of Jared, Shannon or Tomo.

By the way, my opinion about the VyRT is like yours. It was good for the Mars300, but expensive. It could be free, there's a lot of big bands who has done it before for free, with good quality. But the MTV Unplugged? And they are saying this is a christmas gift! I have never paid for a gift before. For example, Muse every christmas upload to their web some new unreleased video or song to download it for free. That's a gift, and no +6 minutes of the MTV Unplugged for 5$.

#49 QuietChaos

QuietChaos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

Miss Candy O is right.. we have a conversation.. thank you, take over from France :)

VyRt.. is that even right? <--- that there? Fuck I can't be fucked to find out.. but yeah..that thing.. I think the intention was good..but as they say... the road to hell is paved with good intentions...No, that does not mean I think Mars is paving us a road to hell, but you know.

I think Candy O said it best ( best egg.. if you ever wanna give up that painting/artist stuff you do, you have a new profitable career in writing. Oh yes, you do ).. so ditto what she said.

I have no problem with them trying to capitalize on opportunities... I just wonder when it becomes too much? I would never pay for a Golden Ticket, a VyRt, an over-priced item on Ebay or an item illegally sold by someone trying to make money on Mars copyright. But that's just me. (but on the other hand, I know damn well I'd pay for stuff others wouldn't dream of.. so there's that..not Mars stuff, other stuff.. so yeah )

So, they first try it with the #300 show.. and that sells.. then they try the Unplugged thing and by golly, that sells too.. what's next? That's what I wonder. When does it stop? Do they start to charge for posting privileges at this forum? ( they wouldn't be the first ) .. I just wonder when enough is enough and when would 'some folks' say 'enough' ?

Like that awesome Kevin Costner movie says.. "If you build it , they will come....".. is it the same here?... "If you offer it, they will pay? " ??

I honestly don't know what to think. I would love to think this is all EMI's fault, and that once the 'bill' is paid, things will change.. but I can't know that. I know, either way, they still need to make money though, and that all this is just a business..Who knows really what may come. I just know, I still like them. I still love the music. And yes, I'm willing to hold on a bit more and hope for better things to come.

#50 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Now where is that "like" button?  :lol:  ;)

#51 Potnez

Potnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostAitzi, on 29 December 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

There's a little problem apart from this money thing. There's a big par of the "Echelon" (I don't know if I should use this word with them) who would pay for EVERYTHING they release. New merch, every VyRT stuff, extra expensive golden tickets... What happens if these girls (cause the most of them are girls) say "yes" to every word they say? They will continue asking for more money. I remember Jared asking in the Q&A of the Mars300 if people would repeat this VyRT experience, all the girls in the chat said "OH MY GOD, YES!!". So, they'll continue doing this kind of things for money 'cause they know there's people who will pay for it.

Some people would say it's stupid to protest everything the band does.
Some people would answer it's stupid to lick their asses and praise everything the band does as well.
I've heard many times that french people are supposedly known for moaning about everything and everyone. My guess is that thread is not gonna help our cause.

But having a critical mind doesn't mean you don't like the band. Just like supporting everything the guys do doesn't make you a better "Echelon" or fan either.

When you take a look on Twitter (sorry, this is the only example that I've got, I barely check Facebook), 90-95% of the tweets are all about how great the band is, how great the *insert new merch* is, etc... And I'm cool with that. To each their own; if people like it, good for them. I don't get it, I don't feel the same way AT ALL but OK, whatever. :huh:

So yeah, why wouldn't the band take advantage of that? And I don't know, maybe they really think it's a good idea. When everybody seem very pleased whith everything you do, why would you change anything??

View PostQuietChaos, on 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

Miss Candy O is right.. we have a conversation.. thank you, take over from France :)

[...]

I honestly don't know what to think. I would love to think this is all EMI's fault, and that once the 'bill' is paid, things will change.. but I can't know that. I know, either way, they still need to make money though, and that all this is just a business..Who knows really what may come. I just know, I still like them. I still love the music. And yes, I'm willing to hold on a bit more and hope for better things to come.

Thank YOU for taking part in it. We've talked a lot about VyRT on the french board, and it's good to be able to have a conversation here as well.
We're not gonna change the world, even less the band's decisions... and it is not the aim of this thread anyway. But it is appreciated to see that we're not the only one just a tiny bit concerned about what's happening. This type of conversation has been here for a long time, even before this thread. But since they're doing a break, I guess we have to find something else than Tour-related talk :lol:

And about your last paragraph: I feel exactly the same way, I'm a hopeless believer... :rolleyes:

#52 Julchen

Julchen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostPotnez, on 29 December 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

Some people would say it's stupid to protest everything the band does.
Some people would answer it's stupid to lick their asses and praise everything the band does as well.
I've heard many times that french people are supposedly known for moaning about everything and everyone. My guess is that thread is not gonna help our cause.

some people say you can go f*** yourself and even die if you say a critical word, unfortunately. I was told something along this line

the weird thing is that even the hardcore lovers weren't happy about the MTV Unplugged on VyRT and started bitching a little. BUT (and that's even weirder) they STILL bought it  :blink:

#53 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

The best one is people who went to the show AND paid for the VyRT. I mean... why? It was only streamed live, not for download. I don't get it...

Aside from that I'll just wait patiently for a DVD. If it never comes, then it won't.
I miss the CD's and the vinyls. My little collectors heart died a little when they stopped making them beginning of 2010.

#54 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

View PostPotnez, on 28 December 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

Shit... I wish I wasn't born french with this "your english sucks"-curse.
Maybe then I could clearly write down how much I agree with you.

Anyway, you're gonna have to content yourself with the following:  Bless your post ^_^
Merci Boucoup. That's all I've got. Thank you.
Your English is way better than my french, cause I slept thru french class ;)

View PostCoco Converse, on 29 December 2011 - 05:34 AM, said:

Additionally, as I am quoting Candy O from other threads, that people whom twititioned, retweeting, badgering, etc. got exactly what they asked for when they were demanding a live stream of the Mars 300... except, they forgot to mention one vital, key word... FREE! With that, indubitably the band took advantage of the idea, and charged fifteen dollars for a streaming of the show, including backstage footage and all.
yep. It was interesting to watch, from my perspective, how many people then bitched about the cost of MARS300 VyRT compared to the much larger group of people who fawned all over the band with things like "thank you, I cannot afford it BUT I will find the money to buy a vyrt ticket even if I don't eat for a week" and shit.

Anyone notice in the latest transmission where they said something about mtvunplugged vyrt "those who tweeted for it, you know who you are" or something like that. See, they are catering to those who WANT. If the WANT is doable at a profit, they engage and deliver at a price.

Very interesting....

View PostMyThoughtsNotYours, on 29 December 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

I really don't want to get involved in the bitch fest about the band selling out, but I do want to say that IMO I don't think they are in it for just the money.  I think that they do still care about the music and the fans, but if they can get rich from it, why not.  Unless I know what they were thinking and who is really making the decisions, I will hold off on making any judgements.
:unsure:
bitch fest? I see no bitch fest here. Seems to be some level headed people giving their opinions, some leaning one way, some the other and some kinda in the middle. This is a rather tame conversation actually. Who knew it could happen? :>

View PostQuiet Chaos, on 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

VyRt.. is that even right? <--- that there? Fuck I can't be fucked to find out.. but yeah..that thing.. I think the intention was good..but as they say... the road to hell is paved with good intentions...No, that does not mean I think Mars is paving us a road to hell, but you know.

I think Candy O said it best ( best egg.. if you ever wanna give up that painting/artist stuff you do, you have a new profitable career in writing. Oh yes, you do ).. so ditto what she said.

I have no problem with them trying to capitalize on opportunities... I just wonder when it becomes too much? I would never pay for a Golden Ticket, a VyRt, an over-priced item on Ebay or an item illegally sold by someone trying to make money on Mars copyright. But that's just me. (but on the other hand, I know damn well I'd pay for stuff others wouldn't dream of.. so there's that..not Mars stuff, other stuff.. so yeah )

So, they first try it with the #300 show.. and that sells.. then they try the Unplugged thing and by golly, that sells too.. what's next? That's what I wonder. When does it stop? Do they start to charge for posting privileges at this forum? ( they wouldn't be the first ) .. I just wonder when enough is enough and when would 'some folks' say 'enough' ?

Like that awesome Kevin Costner movie says.. "If you build it , they will come....".. is it the same here?... "If you offer it, they will pay? " ??

yes, thank you French Invasion. I like a good conversation.

and thank you Quiet Chaos. Writing was my other mistress and for years I tried to decide if I was a visual artist or a writer, among other things, and finally had to settle on one cause I only have so much time. Got a real job to pay the bills... security is important to me. *nod*

You laid out some interesting points up there. Amen to the "would never pay for..." cause yeah, me too. But there are people who are willing to do so. Some cause they have the cash and so wtf why not treat yourself, some in order to "prove" how big a fan they are OMG RT ME I JUST BOUGHT XYZ and some... I have no idea why the remainder do it. But they do. And it's bank for the band. I don't fault the band for collecting some cash, I really don't.

I just... I know it's changed some perceptions for me. The marketing, the products, the way things like this are handled now. Less magic, more reality, cause I can see it all. Maybe I preferred it when it was more low key so it didn't seem so INYOURFACE to buy stuff aside from a concert ticket and maybe a CD or shirt at the merch stand. But the new breed, they want to buy stuff and more stuff and DEMAND the right to do so, so INYOURFACE makes sense. And again, it's okay. Who doesn't want to make money doing what they love? And if you can pocket some income from side products of that, and the majority of your fans dig it, then go for it. Right?

I'm just babbling now. Trying to keep up with mars marketing ideas to tweak for my own use. I kinda feel exhausted.  :mellow:

#55 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

I refuse to choose VyRT or Death, :angry:  I think we should all bear one cross each line to the left, and we do what we want, cuz we are all individuals dammit! Well except if your a clone, then you follow the herd. If you don't love Monty Python then you're a poop head!!! :angry:  :lol:  See how this is all going no where???

How about do what makes you happy, so if you want to watch a VyRT and not eat for a week, and you think it's a cool trade off... then go for it. I can afford to incur some expense to feed my Mars habit, but I WILL draw the line somewhere.... everyone's somewhere is different.

PS Look at all these posts... it's almost a hopping board.
PSPS Jared Leto is a rock star and he can dress how he wants dammit! :angry:

#56 Potnez

Potnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostMistressred, on 29 December 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

I refuse to choose VyRT or Death, :angry:  I think we should all bear one cross each line to the left, and we do what we want, cuz we are all individuals dammit! Well except if your a clone, then you follow the herd. If you don't love Monty Python then you're a poop head!!! :angry:  :lol:  See how this is all going no where???

How about do what makes you happy, so if you want to watch a VyRT and not eat for a week, and you think it's a cool trade off... then go for it. I can afford to incur some expense to feed my Mars habit, but I WILL draw the line somewhere.... everyone's somewhere is different.

PS Look at all these posts... it's almost a hopping board.
PSPS Jared Leto is a rock star and he can dress how he wants dammit! :angry:

In the end yeah, it's all about how people can do whatever the fuck they want. Plus, everything is a question of tastes and opinions...
But it doesn't mean that we can't have a kind of "debate" (as small and meaningless as it is). It's going pretty much no where I'll give you that, but the way I see it, at least I get to share thoughts and talk to new/different people. That's what this Board is for, right?
:)

About your PSPS... have you been checkinf Kevin Drake's FB profile tonight or what?
:lol:

#57 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

View PostPotnez, on 29 December 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

In the end yeah, it's all about how people can do whatever the fuck they want. Plus, everything is a question of tastes and opinions...
But it doesn't mean that we can't have a kind of "debate" (as small and meaningless as it is). It's going pretty much no where I'll give you that, but the way I see it, at least I get to share thoughts and talk to new/different people. That's what this Board is for, right? :)

About your PSPS... have you been checking Kevin Drake's FB profile tonight or what?
:lol:

Yes you are right, the boards are for chit chat and opinions.

No....I have not, I just saw somewhere up there that he was voted worst dressed, by the same people who had voted him best dressed earlier in the year. Like a rock star has to conform ...tsk tsk. :D

#58 laurahya

laurahya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 29 December 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

The best one is people who went to the show AND paid for the VyRT. I mean... why? It was only streamed live, not for download. I don't get it...
I think part of the problem with this is that there were some kind of mixed messages about VyRT. I know they said it would be a live stream, but there are an awful lot of live streams that you can purchase and then watch (again) later through an account that recognises you've paid your money and will want to see it at some point. Maybe people who went to the show thought they could get the backstage stuff later on since they'd be missing out on that at the show (although I agree that people who bought actual real tickets should have been given a complimentary code. An extra $15 to watch Jared checking the tweets and rolling out the names of a bunch of countries would be a little bit criminal).

I'm still sort of annoyed by the fact that you can't re-watch the stream, to be honest. I did actually buy VyRT for Mars300 because there was absolutely no way that I could afford to go to New York either in terms of the cost or getting the time off work. I stayed up all damn night with my friend and we enjoyed it together - the quality of my stream was excellent so there was no being chained to the computer, and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that we did do a couple of "NO NO NO NOs" up on the sofa. It was fun, but it in no way compared to being in that crowd and feeling that energy, so I really can't understand those people who complained that VyRT was belittling the time/money/effort they'd expended to go to the show. I do understand, though, the people who complain that they spent $15 for something that they could only watch once. $15 is not a lot of money for a lot of people (including myself), but when you can get DVDs that you can watch and rewatch for the same price it's a bit much. Not to mention that for a massive majority of their fans - the fans who live too far away to be able to travel to NY - the stream was in the middle of the night or the middle of a work day and they missed some or all of it for that reason. I know there were times when my brain drifted off because by 5am my body wanted to sleep no matter how much I wanted to keep watching. Incidentally, I was recording it but the main part of the show turned out too be too much for my computer to handle and it crapped out on the conversion. I have the backstage stuff and the 2nd part of K&Q in brilliant quality HD, but that's not what I want to re-watch ;)

(Btw, someone said $15 was worth it for 3 hours - it's not 3 hours of show, though, is it? There's a heck of a lot of silence and darkness and Jared checking the bloody tweets.)

As for MTV, I have to get sheepish and admit that I did actually buy it. You can throw the stones now.  :blink:  Basically, for me it was yet another bunch of mixed messages. As far as I could tell, Jared was banging on about HD (not sure what the advert thing was about either) and the fact that it "included" this song and that song. I had already captured the videos off MTV - it was a little bit jumpy but fine to watch, so the quality thing wasn't a big seller. What did sell me, however, was that in my infinite naivete I assumed that it would be the whole show. "Including" (thank you Jared) the songs he mentioned and EVERYTHING ELSE. I have never seen the show on the television. I probably never will. There are only bits on the MTV website (at least on the Belgian one, I don't know about the US one as it won't let me watch anything). I wanted the whole show. For me, five dollars is what I'd pay for a sandwich at lunch so it seemed ok for a decent show. Except it wasn't a decent show.

All in all, I'm happy with paying for merch/special events, etc. I like the band and I want to watch stuff and show my support, and I suppose they have to make a living somehow (or at the very least stash away a few acorns for this retirement break they're on). My proviso, however, is that all this stuff we're paying for has to be good quality and we have to know exactly what we're getting before we pay for it so we can judge for ourselves whether it's worth it instead of only being told "IT'S THE MOST AMAZING THING WE'VE EVER DONE TOTALLY WORTH IT NEVER BEFORE SEEN" from Jared and then finding out it's a big fat lie. I won't be so ready to believe what they say in future, that's for sure.

In the end, though, I'm more annoyed with (some of) the fans than with the band. I think for the most part the band still stick to their philosophy of caring for the fans and making good music, but it's just kind of offset with a desire to make shitpiles of cash  :P  It's those fans that will buy anything - ANYTHING - for any money that upset me. If the GTs were worth what you'd be paying for them, I would've bought one. They weren't. If an Echelon Pass was worth it ($25 for 5% off or something, isn't it? I can't be bothered to check), I would buy one. It isn't. They were even selling VyRT t-shirts. I mean, wtf? Why do you want a t-shirt that says you "attended" a virtual concert from your sofa? But people buy them. Often people who stamp their little feet and do not have to worry about earning money or going to work. It seems to me that as long as this type of fan buys shit that isn't worth it, the band will continue to sell it. I can't blame the band for that - I probably would too - but I do blame those idiots with their wallets spilling all over the place just to prove that they're like the biggest fan ever ZOMG YAY. It's not about the money, it's about the music, the experience, the family and friends. I hope that sooner or later there will be less of the money-vomiting idiots and more of the fans who love Mars with a level head.

:rolleyes:

PS: Sorry that this post was unbelievably long and rambling...

#59 I.R.A

I.R.A

BULLSEYE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

View PostMistressred, on 29 December 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

Jared Leto is a rock star and he can dress how he wants dammit! :angry:
best thing is this thread by far. and yes its about J ghetto.

#60 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

@ laurahya  

Nice post, it states everything very well, and many good points. It is probably true that the fans that are willing to pay anything are more than likely young with no income, and have parents that are shelling out the money. They are thinking that the older fans with bills and mortgages/rent etc. are being poor Echelonz, because they are being more selective on what they want to spend money on, and are speaking out if they think something is poor value, or over priced. The teens will get there, it will take time. Independantly wealthy people who can fly all over the wolrd to see the band multiple times will not give a crap about five or fifteen dollars.

Perception being the key, if I offer you a "present" of sorts for Christmas, and I offer it all excited like, because you are my family, then go well here you have it, I bought you something for five dollars, but it will cost five dollars to mail it to you, so please pay me five dollars and I shall mail your present. You may say... now wait a minute? You are charging me five dollars for a five dollar present? :blink: It becomes not so shiney and maybe slightly tarnished.

Lost in translation so to speak.

Now if I got an email saying we have a HD download FREE to all our fans of CTTE Unplugged, Merry Christmas, and if you want the whole thing in HD with extras,you can buy it for 5.00, then you can make up your mind, you still got a "gift".
They could have 30% off of merch in the store for 12 hours only, here is a code, Merry Xmas. You still get something, it is up to you if you want to use this code, you may say na... skip it, but I would probably go shop, because that is an enticing discount.

Jared and Shannon could play board games and sip hot chocolate and make faces at us through a screen and say hey family, check out our tree, check us all out doing Xmas things and sharing them with you, and people probably would have been tickled pink with it. And NO money would have exchanged hands and we would have all had an AWWWWW moment. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users