929 replies to this topic

#101 Potnez

Potnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks in advance to those who'll upload the file somewhere on the web after.
And cheers to those who'll tell Helios about it on Twitter like they did for #MARS300...(u mad?!! :P)

#102 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

LOL

#103 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostCoco Converse, on 04 April 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

VyRT presents a live, intimate Thirty Seconds to Mars in-studio performance on 4/27, including a preview of the live tour film, sneak peek of ARTIFACT, discussion w/ the band + a look into the future of MARS. Digital tickets available THIS FRIDAY at http://VyRT.net/!
PS: If this gets 75K LIKES + 2,500 SHARES within 24 hrs, I'll make vegan pancakes LIVE!

View PostCandyO, on 30 December 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

So... maybe VYRT is the natural progression of things...
Set up a camera, jam for half an hour, charge $7.50 to watch it via a life feed - even if only 1,000 buy a vyrt ticket that just raked in $7,500 bucks. Again, in the marketing world... if there is a market, then it's a money making opportunity. I won't buy it but someone else will. Pay attention band.
Well there we go.
I wonder if the tickets will be $7.50? ;)

View Postkate30stm, on 05 April 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

but I don't pay for things if I'm unsure about exactly what it is I'm paying for. For those that want to take part that's great but I'll be waiting until someone uploads it.

Re: the price of tickets...maybe there's no price up yet to build hype? - the bigger the hype the more people believe they have to see it so the price becomes irrelevant, so to speak, or maybe they simply haven't got around to putting it up yet. Tickets don't go onsale until tomorrow anyway.
VEGAN PANCAKES MAYBE!!1!
But seriously, good point especially after the MTV unplugged thing. The preview and sneak peek could very well be snippets/stuff that has been out there for a year or more. Aside from the in-studio performance/discussion with band portion of course.

2nd bit about secret ticket price prior to sale and hype, I absolutely agree. Savvy marketing for the product.

Well twitter certainly is all a twitter about the new VYRT today. It's everything from a personal Birthday gift JUST FOR ME, to a reason not to die, to a reason to kill people if they don't get a ticket.  :rolleyes:

Who was good at checking the mars300 thing and could see how many tickets were initially offered and then how many were sold at the end...? Could you do that again please? I am curious.

And whomever does buy a ticket - and if you do, I hope you have fun and enjoy it immensely, seriously I do. Not everybody has to want the same thing, so have fun my friends, have fun - could you let the rest of us know verbally [err via text] what "a look into the future of MARS" turns out to be? I don't need to see it. Plain old words will do. :)

#104 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Just as of now, I came across this really interesting post on Tumblr (from the user steelnglass), and I wanted to share it over here into this thread before I lost it... I think it is a good sum up and clarifies well in regards to what a common misconception some people have about VyRT, that the band (or just Jared) pays much more to make this all possible, and that we should be thankful and grateful to have the possibility to purchase a ticket at such a low cost, they're not doing this for the money, etc....

"To the Anon, we're not the one's who are the only one's paying. They have paid a shit ton more than we ever will. Over thousands of dollars."

that’s only partially true. Jared did spend $25,000 with Mars 300 (his own words), but he not only got his money back, he earned a lot of extra cash from it.

I’ll tell you how it works (and I’ll try to be as clear as possible):

They teamed up with Ustream to stream the show. Ustream has (or had at the time) four packages artists can purchase in order to stream their videos worldwide in HD.

Package 1: 0 - 1,000 viewers
    Package 2: 1,000 - 5,000 viewers
    Package 3: 5,000 - 50,000 viewers
    Package 4: 50,000+ viewers

Each concert package costs $20,000 (includes several camera operators, professional video cameras, technical directors, a director, a streaming operator, one executive producer, graphics, all the necessary cables to make the stream and more. So ALL the staff is being paid and covered when Jared buys this package. This is why it costs so much.

So the question is, how many viewers were there? which package did they choose?
I purchased my ticket a few minutes after they were announced. You could see how many were available if you introduced a huge number in paypal, then you’d see an error message saying “I’m sorry, we only have X items available”. There were around 9900+ tickets still available, so I assume they went for 10,000 tickets in total. That means they went for Package 3.

Now all packages have an additional cost, depending on the amount of viewers per hour. With package 3, for every viewer, Jared had to pay an additional $0.5.

So lets do the math:

if Jared spent $0.5 per person and we were 10,000 in total (it doesn’t matter if all tickets were sold out or not): 10,000 people x $0.5 = $5,000

So Jared bought the package for $20,000 and spent $5,000 on every ticket he made available. That means he spent a total of $25,000 on this MARS 300 stream, which is exactly what he said he had spent.

Now that we’ve seen what he lost, let’s check what he won:

The price of the VyRT ticket was $14.99

*** 10,000 people bought the ticket, so 10,000 x $14.99 = $149,900. Almost 150 thousand dollars.

So Jared spent $25,000 of his own money to pay for this, yet he made a total of $149,900 from ticket purchases. Since he lost those $25,000, we have: $149,900 - $25,000 = $124,900

Profit: $124,900

So Jared not only got his $25,000 back, he made an additional $124,900 from the stream.

*** lets assume they didn’t sell all 10,000 tickets, but instead 8,000 (I remember seeing that number of viewers at one point during the stream)
8,000 x $14.99 =  $119,920 | Profit: $119,920 - $25,000 = $94,920

It should be noted I have absolutely nothing against VyRT nor Jared himself for earning extra money when he gets the chance. I admire the guy because he is such a great businessman and knows how to do his work well. He’s not just a great musician and actor, he knows how to work his crowd and I can only wish I had his skills. I don’t blame him for doing this and if you think they do EVERYTHING just to please us without getting something in return, you’re a bit naive. Like Jared said so himself, “this is not a hobby”. I’d do the same in his place and I’m sure you’d do too. I bought the MARS 300 virtual ticket and I will do the same tomorrow. I made this post not to criticize Jared but to make things a bit more clear, it seems most of you had the wrong idea (that he lost money, which wasn’t the case)

Source

#105 laurahya

laurahya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostCandyO, on 05 April 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well twitter certainly is all a twitter about the new VYRT today. It's everything from a personal Birthday gift JUST FOR ME, to a reason not to die, to a reason to kill people if they don't get a ticket.  :rolleyes:

And whomever does buy a ticket - and if you do, I hope you have fun and enjoy it immensely, seriously I do. Not everybody has to want the same thing, so have fun my friends, have fun - could you let the rest of us know verbally [err via text] what "a look into the future of MARS" turns out to be? I don't need to see it. Plain old words will do. :)
Haha, I love the laid-back zen attitude about this over here, it seems like Twitter is always so ZOMG RAWR FLAIL about everything.  :rolleyes:

I guess I canít see why people would be that upset about it. I get that some people are standing on principle and going for the ďif we donít buy it they canít sell itĒ angle, but there is a certain *cough* element of Mars fans who will always buy whateverís slung their way, so Iím not sure if thatís going to work  :(

Maybe Iím being all naÔve and optimistic, but it seems like a fairly egalitarian setup. Those who want to will buy the ticket, those that canít afford it, canít Ďattendí or donít want to buy will get a capture not too long after. The band still gets their money and everyone gets to watch.

And re the youtube uploads, itís something the bandís just going to have to deal with if they want to pursue this digital thing, and I think Iíd really start to have an issue with them if they kicked up a fuss about that. That kind of attitude of share and share alike seems to be one of the things that defines this fanbase (people are already arranging a 100-ticket donation for this VyRT, after all).

Just a thought: it seems like Jared & co. are busy shopping the Hive / VyRT to other bands, so maybe to a certain extent the digital shows and the ticket sales are all part of demonstrating how the whole thing can actually work for others.

#106 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

View Postlaurahya, on 05 April 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Just a thought: it seems like Jared & co. are busy shopping the Hive / VyRT to other bands, so maybe to a certain extent the digital shows and the ticket sales are all part of demonstrating how the whole thing can actually work for others.

That thought inspired myself to think... and if it is the case that Jared and Co. are shopping around VyRT to other bands/artists as clients, then I truly hope that they are shopping VyRT around to people such as Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, whom have an immensely large and crazy fanbase, in which their fans would be willing to pay for a digital ticket for a concert stream or fan chat/Q&A. Only saying this, because if they were to offer these services via VyRT to a smaller, sort of up and coming band to mainstream such as Semi-Precious Weapons, whom does not have a ginormous, fanatical fanbase, would it really be fair and rational for those few fans to pay anywhere from five to fifteen-dollars for a streaming concert or a question and answer session with the band, since it would perchancely be smarter and more successful business for Semi-Precious Weapons to engage in conversation and stream their performances for free/no charge at this present time (as Thirty Seconds to Mars used to do earlier in their career), as they are currently trying to build up a fanbase? It would be a slap in the face to those current fans of Semi-Precious Weapons, and of course any band or artist for that matter whom has not achieved a certain degree of success yet, to be pressured into purchasing a digital ticket to to view or participate in something which should be free through the internet.

Still speaking of which, in my personal opinion, I do see VyRT as a slap in the face to Thirty Seconds to Mars fans... genuinely, I simply do not think it is right to charge fans for such things as an online chat/Q&A, mini streaming, live (probably acoustic) performance, and previews of the live tour film and Artifact. As Mars.echelon stated on the previous page, if they would like to share a preview of the live tour film and Artifact (in which it is possible and likely that it is footage we have already seen), they can easily share it through YouTube or any other video uploading and hosting website. In regards to the live, mini performance slated to occur through this upcoming VyRT session, yes, many bands do this for their fans... complimentary, and by virtue of the magical word, which is no longer in existence in the world of Mars, of FREE.

Scrolling through my Twitter timeline, I honestly find it fascinating, and also cannot comprehend, why people are incredibly ecstatic, jolly, and excited, along with staying up the entire night, awaiting to purchase their digital VyRT ticket today, as if they are going to be completely sold out in under an hour. As I have previously suggested, the whole premise of VyRT is quite the major turn off for myself, and sincerely diminishes my outlook and conjecture on where Thirty Seconds to Mars stands today. VyRT considerably does not make myself any bigger of a fan of the band, as it only thus far has made progression in doing the opposite.

To be somewhat more optimistic in regards to the business of VyRT, I was thinking of how it could be used with some positive success and benefit outcomes. One possible method in which I can envision how VyRT can be put to use, and which would be a sensible and understandable manner of selling digital tickets, is if they were to support and stream the performances live from some major, multiple day music festivals, such as Coachella, Lollapalooza, or Bamboozle. Since these festivals are known to have impressive lineups, and are events in which many music whom reside quite the distance away would love to personally attend, it would be great if VyRT offered people the option to purchase digital tickets to watch selected performances live from the festivals, and to have the one purchase of a digital ticket valid and good for each day of the festival.

#107 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Postlaurahya, on 05 April 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Haha, I love the laid-back zen attitude about this over here, it seems like Twitter is always so ZOMG RAWR FLAIL about everything.  :rolleyes:

:lol: And one would have thought this board should be full of people beliving in Mars without a f-ing question.

" sneak peek of ARTIFACT"

Good to see that Artifact seems to actually going to be released cause I started to doubt that.

#108 laurahya

laurahya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostAneczka, on 06 April 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

:lol: And one would have thought this board should be full of people beliving in Mars without a f-ing question.

Yeah, I think we can leave that to the Twitter folks, thanks :blink: I've seen nothing but hyperbolic squeeing for hours now, and sometimes the same message over and over again from the same person. I mean, I'm looking forward to it but I'm not going to vomit my thanks all over the band for deigning to, y'know, perform. FOR A FEE. :rolleyes:

Artifact could be the 20 minute bit that got leaked months ago.
This worries me too. They have to know we've seen that, right? And if they do, and they show the same preview, then it's MTV Unplugged all over again. I'd rather Jared stopped farting around with VyRT and actually finished the damn thing. Sooner or later Cool Edit Pro is going to get tired of waiting for a commitment... :P

#109 kate30stm

kate30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

CandyO You were spot on with that, can I borrow that crystal ball sometime? Yes, the vegan pancakes - maybe I should charge $$ for people to watch me cook, I make a mean Spaghetti Bolognese.

Laura Never heard this place being called Zen before :lol: Luckily I seem to follow the "right" people so the only OTT reactions I've seen have been RTs by the band.  

Coco's post - How do people even find out this information? Anyway, interesting stuff and I had no idea just how many people were needed to carry out what is on the surface a pretty simple idea. I didn't think for a second that he was making a loss, he knows what he's doing and wouldn't invest in something that was going to loose him money.

10,780 likes and 639 shares .... no pancakes for you? (a Seinfeld reference btw)

#110 kate30stm

kate30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

View Postlaurahya, on 06 April 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

This worries me too. They have to know we've seen that, right? And if they do, and they show the same preview, then it's MTV Unplugged all over again. I'd rather Jared stopped farting around with VyRT and actually finished the damn thing. Sooner or later Cool Edit Pro is going to get tired of waiting for a commitment... :P

I'm sure they know, the Hive were asking for people to report links if anyone saw it online and they did get taken down. For the hyperbolic squeeing can I recommend unfollow/block/mute? ;)

#111 laurahya

laurahya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postkate30stm, on 06 April 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Never heard this place being called Zen before :lol:
I know, I thought that when I was typing it. Maybe I meant relatively? Compared to how it used to be it's so laid back now it's practically horizontal.

View Postkate30stm, on 06 April 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm sure they know, the Hive were asking for people to report links if anyone saw it online and they did get taken down.
Hmm, I guess I must have totally ignored not noticed that.

#112 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

WHAT DOES VyRT OFFER?

MARKETING
        Using all available assets we help to raise awareness and build  excitement through social media, positioning, building customer  relationships and creating value.

source http://vyrt.net/read/

#113 kate30stm

kate30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

My link

$9.99 and you can't view it at a later date.

#114 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

So is this better and different than the on line interactions with the band, that we used to get free? I do know that it would freeze up and people were all chatting at once and it was really chaotic, but you would really have to see what you get for your money I guess.
This is part performance, and part pancake making so it will be interesting if fans feel it was worth the money.

#115 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Does anybody know at what time the stream will start? It's not mentioned on the website.

#116 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I HATE TOO LONG FAKE NAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

phew, ok.

So, I'm not sure (how) I feel about this. The odd thing is, like it seems like a few others had as well, I knew this was coming. A day or so before he tweeted this, I'm sure a bunch of us stopped in our tracks, randomly, and heard or said "let's just fucking vyrt". But why?!?????! Is it magical or something? Will it answer all of the unknowns?

It's not even about the price-tag cuz it is a little cheap. However, I'm cheap and I can get like 2 summer tops for $9.99 and wear them more than once and then give them to a screaming teenager rather than have my questions pushed out of the way by one!

I don't even know why I'm replying to this, really, or why I have a slight urge to do this. Maybe cuz I'm lazy and this is easier than even thinking about travelling to go see them ever was. But I know I could just as easily meditate and "be there" with ya'll during this.

I tweeted and asked if he'd sing Pat Benatar...I may pay to see that. lol

#117 IsylyaEleni

IsylyaEleni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postpale_existence, on 06 April 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

I HATE TOO LONG FAKE NAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

phew, ok.

So, I'm not sure (how) I feel about this. The odd thing is, like it seems like a few others had as well, I knew this was coming. A day or so before he tweeted this, I'm sure a bunch of us stopped in our tracks, randomly, and heard or said "let's just fucking vyrt". But why?!?????! Is it magical or something? Will it answer all of the unknowns?

It's not even about the price-tag cuz it is a little cheap. However, I'm cheap and I can get like 2 summer tops for $9.99 and wear them more than once and then give them to a screaming teenager rather than have my questions pushed out of the way by one!

I don't even know why I'm replying to this, really, or why I have a slight urge to do this. Maybe cuz I'm lazy and this is easier than even thinking about travelling to go see them ever was. But I know I could just as easily meditate and "be there" with ya'll during this.

I tweeted and asked if he'd sing Pat Benatar...I may pay to see that. lol

Agreed!

#118 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Yeah but ten bucks is like a movie, and if you invite a few friends over and split the cost, have some drinks, and post a random " My weiner hurts " in chat, it's cheap at twice the price. :lol:

#119 IsylyaEleni

IsylyaEleni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

But that's assuming I have friends. Which is sooo much to ask of me.

#120 J30STM

J30STM

"Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

"VyRT presents a live, intimate Thirty Seconds to Mars in-studio performance on 4/27, including a preview of the live tour film, sneak peek of ARTIFACT, discussion w/ the band + a look into the future of MARS. Digital tickets available THIS FRIDAY at http://VyRT.net/!

PS: If this gets 75K LIKES + 2,500 SHARES within 24 hrs, I'll make vegan pancakes LIVE!
"

I have issue with the bolded after the MTV Unplugged experience, he doesn't say that's it's brand new footage so what's to say the preview of the live tour film isn't just a culmination of all the snippets they've been posting up on the site and Artifact could be the 20 minute bit that got leaked months ago. Personally I'm not interested in the previews and trailers, I want to see both things in full when they're finished and paying for trailers/commercials is a little cheeky in my opinion. There also appears to be no mention of how long it will be ...

Having said that, it's a nice gesture - I don't think for a minute that it's all about the money, I think they see it as something fun and a way to "interact" with fans since they're not on tour. Would I like to see an interview & performance since it's been awhile? Sure, but I don't pay for things if I'm unsure about exactly what it is I'm paying for. For those that want to take part that's great but I'll be waiting until someone uploads it.

Re: the price of tickets...maybe there's no price up yet to build hype? - the bigger the hype the more people believe they have to see it so the price becomes irrelevant, so to speak, or maybe they simply haven't got around to putting it up yet. Tickets don't go onsale until tomorrow anyway.
I have to agree with bolded! I haven't done the Vyrt thing & still won't buy now as to me it seems mostly about the money as it only bits & pieces they will be showing. Tbh the MTV unplugged thing was viewable later for us that didn't pay for streaming, I might not have been able to see all that they did...but I saw it & didn't have to pay for it..
Up until now they have been plugging Artifact for about 2 years & some of it leaked ....put it out already & don't let people pay for something that will be purchased as a complete later!

And the pancake thing....have seen him doing that in the early Mars blog footage, why would I pay for that again?? Or was the scrambled egg?? Doesn't matter really...

Edit: Just saw the price & that it isn't viewable later.
My opinion on this? Well Fuck it then. Way to make this shit exclusive & abandon people that cannot pay that price or are in a different timezone , so they won't be able to join anyways...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users