What would you do for the world if you could?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 panacea sanans

panacea sanans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Yes, as the title says. What would you do? Given you had the money and the influence necessary to really change something.

Be kind of realistic, though. Not like "make all people be friends". No magic.

This is more about real ideas on how those humans with influence/money could make the world better.  :)

#2 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

LIKE !

I reallly hate that things that would better ANYTHING or ANYONE or any group or species would actually cost a fortune, but.....it would. Some people are born into wealth. Others come across it easy. Some used to believe you had to attend college for quicker access to the "established" life... It doesn't make as much of a difference unless you want to go into a specific field and you had better be ready to pull some hair and climb up some backs if you want to make it to the front line which you may or may not be picked. And there are those who fight to work damn hard for years and only just make it by...never leaving their home-base.

I would somehow make it possible again for ALL CHILDREN to fully experience "childhood" for a good at least10 years (things like innocence and make believe). Additionally, something out there for all parents to have the patience needed. I think kids should be spoiled but with love and positive/guiding attention. Not with things. But...I ain't perfect either. I think if everyone had the burden and stress of finances lifted that it would be easier to have a "happier" life.

Along with pro-longed innocence--I really wish or hope or would try to somehow make a way for kids (prior to, say, 15+) to stop having sex. I guarantee it would help the population problem. And not some screwed way like some cultures do, but a sterile and non-harming way. I don't think sex should be taboo because it makes it more appealing but at the same time I don't think everyone should have the opportunity to become a perv at a super young age. Everyone reacts their own way to everything, tho. Unless they're a drone. I am sooo against any actual system that holds people back or against their will but...the vision I have wouldn't be a forceful thing it would be pretty inviting.

Possibly donate loads of cash to every school for the extra-curricular activities. Add more or enhance what is already there. Really allow kids to explore their creative sides. See if this is just a childhood fantasy/dream or something they would actually enjoy doing from an earlier age regardless of their families income. Definitely donate food...wholesome, fresh and hopefully organic foods to all low or no income (and possibly medium income) 'households' so they can experience the joys of good nutritive food.

Also, I do pretty much believe that other planets have been inhabited before and possibly even by our species or what we evolved from. I do honestly think that if we ever come to a time where we can build economy sized spacecrafts to do like, weekend tours or whatever, to visit....for instance MARS...a mostly resource-depleted planet (IMO), that it would be highly beneficial for our species. I'd totally sponsor NASA.

I have never even dreamt the answer to help the planet but I have always felt very strongly about protecting it. I always 'knew' littering was wrong. I definitely believe that we waste a lot of our clean water and that it will eventually affect us. I think because I (as I'm assuming many did. BlackHoleSuns n shit) had dreams of disaster and explosions and constant fire when I was a child and even as a baby and I mean, what is that?!! But it's not in a "bad" way. There was never anyone hurt just fire. If it is going to happen it is.. I tried ...maybe not my best, but I've tried to do my part. It is not fucking easy though. And I feel so guilty for somethings that some people would probably think were downright ridiculous, but again, I don't have the answer. If I had a lot of money I could give to various charities and sponsor many good ideas and individuals who/that are already in the works. And I don't mind expand or even burn anymore so I don't think I'll ever stumble across onto the path of the ultimate answer again, either....

#3 panacea sanans

panacea sanans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

pale :wub:
What you wrote is really worth so many replies, and I feel bad for not checking back to see your awesome answer earlier. You have some great ideas there. Also, I was delighted to see that obviously you share my impression that reducing the size of human population would be a way to help solve a lot of problems -  but there's really no way to do that but through education... (or natural disasters and disease, but than, that's not an option, right?)

My vision / lifelong dream would be to have some huge property and build a combined orphanage / boarding school / animal sanctuary. When I explained that to a friend once, he answered "like the 'Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters' from X-men?". Yes, just subtract the superpowers and add the animals. :) [Animals are good for children. They learn to care for another being but themselves, and it even is good for their immune defense.]

Then, I would take orphans from all countries to live and be educated in that school - not only on school subjects but also things like protection of nature, ethics, animal welfare etc. And every child could choose one of the rescued animals to be "theirs", thus winning a true and unconditionally loyal friend. And there would be musical instruments and utensils of art ready for every child to use as they wish. And a forest, with huge trees and rivers and horseback riding opportunities and lessons on herbs and trees and ...  you get the point.

And when picking the children in the first place, I would try to judge their talent as well as character.
But the graduation from that school would definitely include not only a certificate of their knowledge, but also a testimony of personality!

And they would be allowed to sleep in whatever rhythm they choose (being diurnal or nocturnal), dress however they like to dress (there might be a color code for school time though), be / live outside whenever they wish to (I would not force them to cope with stone walls around them if they don't like it) and believe in whatever they like to believe in -  as long as they harm no other ("my freedom ends where your freedom begins").

Ah, there's so much more to that dream than I can write here... and it get's me daydreaming too much every time I think of it...

But the above is a dream that really IS possible with enough money. Just that I won't ever have enough for that... :(

If every multimillionaire in the world founded a school like that, I think it would have a huge impact on society.

#4 Prehensile

Prehensile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

What I'd do for this planet: I would leave it behind forever, but probably not for Mars. Preferably someplace with a working magnetosphere and atmosphere. We ran out of land to explore and conquer, and somewhere in my genes I'm stuck feeling bored with that.

What I'd do for the people on the planet:
1. Require that anyone desiring to create life get a license to do so. They would take a test that proves they are aware of basic skills needed to raise a child. Should they fail, besides being ashamed they would be offered courses on parenting.
2. Pay teachers more, perhaps an astronomical salary comparable to what doctors make. In their own way teachers do plenty of brain surgery.
3. Destroy welfare systems.
4. Put people who sexually abuse children in prison longer, if not outright end them.
5. Fund an international sanctuary program for anyone who is harassed by religions or creeds of any sort.

#5 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostPrehensile, on 28 January 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

What I'd do for this planet: I would leave it behind forever, but probably not for Mars. Preferably someplace with a working magnetosphere and atmosphere. We ran out of land to explore and conquer, and somewhere in my genes I'm stuck feeling bored with that.

What I'd do for the people on the planet:
1. Require that anyone desiring to create life get a license to do so. They would take a test that proves they are aware of basic skills needed to raise a child. Should they fail, besides being ashamed they would be offered courses on parenting.
2. Pay teachers more, perhaps an astronomical salary comparable to what doctors make. In their own way teachers do plenty of brain surgery.
3. Destroy welfare systems.
4. Put people who sexually abuse children in prison longer, if not outright end them.
5. Fund an international sanctuary program for anyone who is harassed by religions or creeds of any sort.
I like your opening and also strongly agree with numbers 1 and 2. I actually thought in great detail about number 1, pretty much verbatim, some months ago.

I think I wuv you. :)

P. S. However, I think MARS has already been observed, explored, and depleted

#6 germanechelonsoldier

germanechelonsoldier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Really like this idea of having the chance to change something!

So I think I would start by changing most of the politicians from all over the planet because they promote doing good things and are being corrupted behind the scenes... No good!

When I would know that there are no corrupt people in the leadership of the countrys anymore i would spent the rest of the money in supporting the poor and helping the sick and obviously I would invest in cherity projects which help the world to stay alive^^

The world will die one day just because of the bad treatment by the humans and you cannot change the minds of some mentally-ill people who only think about money, money, money and forget being HUMAN at the same time but you can make their decisions become negligible and without large proportions and that's where i would probably start...   :blink:  :lol:  

uhh, now I feel like a superhero^^
but those plans aren't the final ones -it was just a quick brainstorming... Healing the world needs more time ;) :P

#7 toe_jam_on_toast

toe_jam_on_toast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

I would do a lot more to help the people from my old Reservation and also want to go back and help the kids who have so much potential get scholorships. I already do volunteer work at a homeless shelter but always feel like should be able to do more...

#8 germanechelonsoldier

germanechelonsoldier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Posttoe_jam_on_toast, on 02 March 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

I would do a lot more to help the people from my old Reservation and also want to go back and help the kids who have so much potential get scholorships. I already do volunteer work at a homeless shelter but always feel like should be able to do more...

You donút need to feel that way! You have to see that you already do something volunteer to make the world a better place - and thatús what not many people can say about theirselves! You can be proud of yourself and just enjoy what you do and hope for someone to act the way you do!!!  :lol:

#9 toe_jam_on_toast

toe_jam_on_toast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postgermanechelonsoldier, on 05 March 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

You donút need to feel that way! You have to see that you already do something volunteer to make the world a better place - and thatús what not many people can say about theirselves! You can be proud of yourself and just enjoy what you do and hope for someone to act the way you do!!!  :lol:

Ok true but will always feel that could do so much more!! Power of the people and whatnot...Im doing the RunForLife cancer research run/walk on the 17th June, Ive been bad with my back and Sciatica over the last year or so and while wont be actually running Im determined to walk it... or crawl it if have to! Mainly as have been sponsored by a few people already :) Its 5km and can walk 3 and half without major pain so whooo!!

Can I ask people to cheer me on? I will also ask you to donate to Cancer Research UK too, but only if you want to :) I should have a profile up on the actual RaceForLife.org site soon :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users