• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Albertdt

Albertdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

So I just want to thank the band first for their amazing music and second for the way their music helped me.

Where to begin. Well at the beging of 2010 my Dad was diagnose with cancer. Now Im not one to be thinking why me and why my family. But it was a big shock here that news when there has not realy been that much sickness in our family at all. But thats beside the point. So my Dad had the Op and went for the treatments for about 22monhts. He finaly could not fight anymore, and passed away on the 17th of Sept 2011.

But in that time and I know that Im gona sound like a complete prick for doing it, but its they way my dad raised me and what he wanted for me. I got offerd an amazing work in The Netherlands for a year. One of my biggest dreams has always to go travel the world and meet new people. And so in May I packed my bags said by to my family and moved over to Europa from South Africa.

Leaving my Dad still going for his treatments in my Mothers and brothers care. a couple of months after I got here the docter said there is nothing that they can do for him and its just a matter of time. I then said I will come home, and my dads words where no, you are staying there we will let you know when you should come home, go live your dream. Thats when I started my blog in his hounor. Just to tell him how much I love him and gona miss him.

So while all this was going on, my dad busy fading slowly, me all by myself in a total diffrent country with no friends or family the only thing I had was music. I then heard closer to the edge and its hard to explain but its as if just spoke to me. Told me its gona be ok, your gona be fine. I then strated listening to the rest of the album and its like every song somehow had a hidden messege just for me.

So thank you so much for your amazing songs, congrats on you EMA's you deserve it. I will see you on the 30 of Nov in Belgium. It would be like I have made a full circle if that makes any sense.

Thank you

Ps sorry for all the spelling mistakes I am a bit dyslexic

#2 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

View PostAlbertdt, on 09 November 2011 - 07:18 AM, said:

So I just want to thank the band first for their amazing music and second for the way their music helped me.

Where to begin. Well at the beging of 2010 my Dad was diagnose with cancer. Now Im not one to be thinking why me and why my family. But it was a big shock here that news when there has not realy been that much sickness in our family at all. But thats beside the point. So my Dad had the Op and went for the treatments for about 22monhts. He finaly could not fight anymore, and passed away on the 17th of Sept 2011.

But in that time and I know that Im gona sound like a complete prick for doing it, but its they way my dad raised me and what he wanted for me. I got offerd an amazing work in The Netherlands for a year. One of my biggest dreams has always to go travel the world and meet new people. And so in May I packed my bags said by to my family and moved over to Europa from South Africa.

Leaving my Dad still going for his treatments in my Mothers and brothers care. a couple of months after I got here the docter said there is nothing that they can do for him and its just a matter of time. I then said I will come home, and my dads words where no, you are staying there we will let you know when you should come home, go live your dream. Thats when I started my blog in his hounor. Just to tell him how much I love him and gona miss him.

So while all this was going on, my dad busy fading slowly, me all by myself in a total diffrent country with no friends or family the only thing I had was music. I then heard closer to the edge and its hard to explain but its as if just spoke to me. Told me its gona be ok, your gona be fine. I then strated listening to the rest of the album and its like every song somehow had a hidden messege just for me.

So thank you so much for your amazing songs, congrats on you EMA's you deserve it. I will see you on the 30 of Nov in Belgium. It would be like I have made a full circle if that makes any sense.

Thank you

Ps sorry for all the spelling mistakes I am a bit dyslexic
Hello Albertdt. Welcome Aboard :)

I don't think you sound like a prick at all. It sounds to me like your family is well grounded. Your dad must have loved you very much. He gave you the gift to live your life. And you were strong enough to accept it. There is no better legacy to your dad than to do well and be happy because that speaks volumes about the man who raised you.

And now I'm feeling a little misty eyed.

Sounds like you found the music right when you needed it the most. Funny how that happens, isn't it? It didn't "save your life" but it made you sit up straighter and feel stronger, yes? It touches some people in that way sometimes. Amplifies what is already in us but needs a nudge to bring it out when we feel least able to reach it alone. Or something like that. I'm just babbling at this point.

Now run out and get the 1st CD 30 Seconds To Mars also known as Self Titled and the 2nd CD A Beautiful Lie, give 'em a listen and get back to me. And for heavens sake please don't get sucked into the world of those who say that in order to be a "real fan" you must stalk the band, sniff the band, lick the band, worship the band, tweet the band non-stop and/or mortgage your house to fly around the world to see multiple gigs. Not that you sound like the sort who would go down that road.

Have fun at the Belgium gig. And my condolences about your dad. We lost one of our own to cancer this past May. I miss her all the time.

#3 Fatima F

Fatima F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hi Albertdt,
I'm truly sorry for what you've been through. But I'm glad that you've found a way to cope with it. Music is a good healer, and when it comes to Mars songs, it's unbelievable how they affect you and help you go through your problems.
Actually, me and a few other fans in this forum, have been writing our own stories and how Mars songs gave us the chance to move on and we've put them in a kind of scrapbook which is supposed to be handed over to the band by the end of the month. I was wondering if you'd like to take part and write yours.
If so, you can email me to fatima.fazelitehrani@yahoo.com and I'll explain the details to you. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users