Jump to content


Setlist


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aitzi

Aitzi

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

I thought that they would change something in the setlist for the last shows of the tour, but they played already in some cities and I watched a change, but not a good one. They get Attack and A Beautiful Lie out, two of the most powerful songs of the setlist, and they put The Story (I like it, but it's too calm) in the setlist.
So, the only songs apart from the This Is War album are The Kill and From Yesterday, and it seems that they often play them in acoustic.

They're gonna play in cities that already been (like Paris, and they'll play there twice), I think they should considerate to change the setlist a bit. What do you think about it?

#2 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

They also played "Buddha for Mary" in Lodz. But I didn't know they'd omitted ABL!! That's harsh!!!

#3 Aitzi

Aitzi

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

But they played only the 1st verse, I don't know if it was in acoustic or full band. It seems that today they played A Beautiful Lie, but not Attack and The Story.

#4 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

    Luctor Et Emergo

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

The setlist is pathetic. Cutting out Attack? Really? One of the BEST songs live! Setlist is way too short for a headlining band too. They really don't get it.

#5 Cloud9

Cloud9

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:06 AM

Well, isn’t this the same thing we complain about the whole tour?  :unsure:

Yes, I agree, the set list is too short, s/t is rarely played (and if at all, only in parts), and I do not understand why they omit songs like Attack, A Beautiful Lie or The Fantasy (clearly all-time favorites of everyone).  

I am aware that they have a limited time on stage and therefore are limited in the songs. I have been to three shows during the last two years (all in Germany) were they only shortened the list and it would be nice to hear a few other songs. It would be great to go to a show without knowing exactly what songs they are going to play or when Jared will stop and start talking or complaining about the people in the stands ect. I admire Jareds ability to connect with you (at least that’s what I feel, perhaps it’s this ‘starring into your eyes’ thing he does when looking into the crowd  :blink: ) and everyone else’s energy on stage. But I always feel that it could have been even better if they would dare to change the show a little and try something new.

I‘ve been to concerts from other bands were they change like 30-50% of the set list for every! other gig or were the whole band improvises along with the audience or change the lyrics of certain songs ect ect … I understand that this is a tough thing to do and that there is the possibility that some of the songs do not resonate with the audience or work out as well in the context with the other songs. But it is still an exciting experience!

So, yeah I concur it would not hurt changing the set list a bit. BUT I fear that this is not going to happen… <_<

#6 Ivy_Burrows

Ivy_Burrows

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

View PostCloud9, on 09 November 2011 - 04:06 AM, said:

So, yeah I concur it would not hurt changing the set list a bit. BUT I fear that this is not going to happen… <_<
Nope,I'm sure it won't happen - not during a tour which is already 2 years old and more importantly finally nearly over.

#7 MyThoughtsNotYours

MyThoughtsNotYours

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

I don’t know if this has been discussed already, and if it has, I’m sorry – I’ve haven’t seen it mentioned before. But maybe the reason the band doesn’t perform certain songs is because Jared can’t sing them. At least not sing them night after night.  For example, they replaced Attack with The Story.  If you listen to both songs, it seems as though The Story would be much easier to sing and that it would put less strain on Jared’s vocal chords.  They have a lot of shows in the next 3 weeks and maybe the band is just doing what they can to preserve Jared’s voice. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

#8 Ivy_Burrows

Ivy_Burrows

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

View PostMyThoughtsNotYours, on 09 November 2011 - 06:25 AM, said:

They have a lot of shows in the next 3 weeks and maybe the band is just doing what they can to preserve Jared’s voice. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.
If they really would care and would try to preserve Jared's voice, the only right thing to do would be to cancel all those shows. But well, rather hell would freeze over than such a thing happens. :rolleyes:

#9 MyThoughtsNotYours

MyThoughtsNotYours

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

View PostIvy_Burrows, on 09 November 2011 - 07:00 AM, said:

If they really would care and would try to preserve Jared's voice, the only right thing to do would be to cancel all those shows. But well, rather hell would freeze over than such a thing happens. :rolleyes:

What?!? And not make it into the Guiness Book of World Records??? Where are your priorities? :P

#10 Ivy_Burrows

Ivy_Burrows

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

View PostMyThoughtsNotYours, on 09 November 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

What?!? And not make it into the Guiness Book of World Records??? Where are your priorities? :P
Haha, you've got a point here. Good one.  :D

#11 laurahya

laurahya

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:55 AM

I guess when you do this many shows it's almost impossible to change things up all the time as it would be a bit of an organisational nightmare. But then, that's kind of the issue: what's the point of breaking a record and hitting 300 shows if the quality sucks as a result? All that means is that you go out on a sour note.

I'm totally unbiased in this because this is the first time I'm geting to see them live, but I totally feel for the people who are following them around to different countries and can basically predict "at 5:32 he's going to say this" and "at 28:07 they're going to play that". From what I've seen from people's comments that seems to be a bit of an issue - can I ask, how much does it affect the atmosphere at a show within the audience?

#12 Aitzi

Aitzi

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

View Postlaurahya, on 10 November 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

I guess when you do this many shows it's almost impossible to change things up all the time as it would be a bit of an organisational nightmare.
you're right, but they had a break this past october, and change the setlist a bit is not so complicated. I've seen them in 5 different places, but I've seen the same setlist again and again, and yes, I already know when they're going to do something and when Jared's gonna say this or that.

#13 J30STM

J30STM

    "Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

View PostMyThoughtsNotYours, on 09 November 2011 - 06:25 AM, said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed already, and if it has, I’m sorry – I’ve haven’t seen it mentioned before. But maybe the reason the band doesn’t perform certain songs is because Jared can’t sing them. At least not sing them night after night.  For example, they replaced Attack with The Story.  If you listen to both songs, it seems as though The Story would be much easier to sing and that it would put less strain on Jared’s vocal chords.  They have a lot of shows in the next 3 weeks and maybe the band is just doing what they can to preserve Jared’s voice. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.
TBH they should consider this pre planning a tour and before adding all the extra stuff they do when a tour is already in progress. If that is not entirely in their hands, they should be man enough to stand up for once & say we cannot keep this schedule & perform in a way that is expected by paying people that come to the shows! Afterall it is their own health / voice that is on the line here, not to mention the good name of the band. And believe me they don't go over well with co workers that have seen them on festivals last year... Period.

View PostAitzi, on 10 November 2011 - 07:50 AM, said:

you're right, but they had a break this past october, and change the setlist a bit is not so complicated. I've seen them in 5 different places, but I've seen the same setlist again and again, and yes, I already know when they're going to do something and when Jared's gonna say this or that.
Re bolded: I have seen the same & it's really getting on my nerves. If nothing changes by the end of the month ( Cologne show ) that will be my last MARS show in a while for above reason! And I know I am not the only one in our group of former die hard friends that thinks this way...it will be their ( the band's ) loss in end!


* Wasn't there another thread about grievances around setlist issues ? *

#14 laurahya

laurahya

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostJ30STM, on 10 November 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

I have seen the same & it's really getting on my nerves. If nothing changes by the end of the month ( Cologne show ) that will be my last MARS show in a while for above reason! And I know I am not the only one in our group of former die hard friends that thinks this way...it will be their ( the band's ) loss in end!
Hmm, that's interesting. I mean, not even in terms of the set list, but what you and Aitzi were saying about the "improvised" stuff, like the discussion in between songs. Every band does that "omg [insert country/city here] is awesome!" but repeating the same crap every night? Especially when you're doing gigs in places within an hour of each other. Of course your best fans are going to travel around and see you more than once. But I guess it's like seeing a play or a movie 25 times - no matter how much you love it, it starts to get boring if it's never going to change... I guess maybe if they had the same basic set list but actually listened to fans' suggestions - apparently Jared asks for what people want to hear, so what's the point if they do what they want anyway?

Wow, </bitch>. I really didn't mean to go off, I don't really have the right as a retroactive fan (better than newbie, I feel ;) ).  But it really is interesting to hear the opinions of people who've been following them for years. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

#15 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

    Luctor Et Emergo

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thing about a movie is that it will indeed never change as it's edited and a closed project (unless you get the re-releases, directors cuts, special editions etc etc etc). Live shows actually should change though, otherwise you can just buy a DVD and watch it over and over again. It's the sign of a good artist that knows how to be creative with their "performances" and brings variation. Also I have never seen a band that either plays every gig the same songs and also has exactly (and I really do mean 99% the same) chat every time. I've recently seen a few bands several times and each "chit chat" was completely different. Of course the standard "you're the best", hello xxx" passes bye. But at least the other bands I've seen attempt to improvise. I'm dissapointed in the lack of ability that Mars seems to have with this. For a band that always proclaims to be different, creative and that shows are unexpected and mayhem - they really aren't. They really aren't unique anymore. Used to be, but times have changed.

#16 Cloud9

Cloud9

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 10 November 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm dissapointed in the lack of ability that Mars seems to have with this. For a band that always proclaims to be different, creative and that shows are unexpected and mayhem - they really aren't. They really aren't unique anymore. Used to be, but times have changed.
....And what a sad thought that is.  :mellow::unsure:  

Am I the only one who feels like they really want to make the shows unique-great-awesome-best-f***ing-night-of-our-life- unforgettable but somehow fail in doing so sometimes?

There is so much going on with this Band all these shows, Interviews, screenings, EMA/TV dates, constantly filming the whole tour, editing Artifact, producing/planning the Roadies TV Series, doing synchronizations , publishing Photobooks, …, …, …, the list goes on and on.

Everything get's done somehow, and the credit for this probably goes to Jared's workaholic-ism (and Emma's time managment  :P .) But I think that there is simply not enough time to focus properly on one aspect (i.e. "setlist issues"..) like they are stuck with one 'modus operandi' that works well enough and that's it - no time for evolution or adaption.

#17 Aitzi

Aitzi

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

All of those things are okay, but in more than 10 years as a band, they haven't released a DVD. They are working really hard on it...  :rolleyes:  Seriously, they work very hard, we know it, but I think that a band should care first about their studio albums (doing better as they can) and second, in their shows. If you are doing 20 different stuff but you don't make no one totally okay, that stuff won't be worth. So, any of those projects are not good for me if they don't do correctly the most important ones first. People are complaining about the setlist (except the girls who don't care what they play if Jared take his shirt out), they should hear those complains and try to find a solution. I know a lot of people who have been following the band for years, but after watching the same show again and again, they are starting to feel disappointed and stopped going to their shows. That's what they want? The solution is easy, don't make the same show 1000 times. And change a BIT the setlist is not so complicated

*I don't know if someone will understand me, sometimes I'm the only one who understand my english haha

#18 zigkiss

zigkiss

    Zeke and Zola rock my world \m/

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

View PostAitzi, on 11 November 2011 - 04:19 AM, said:

All of those things are okay, but in more than 10 years as a band, they haven't released a DVD. They are working really hard on it...  :rolleyes:  Seriously, they work very hard, we know it, but I think that a band should care first about their studio albums (doing better as they can) and second, in their shows. If you are doing 20 different stuff but you don't make no one totally okay, that stuff won't be worth. So, any of those projects are not good for me if they don't do correctly the most important ones first. People are complaining about the setlist (except the girls who don't care what they play if Jared take his shirt out), they should hear those complains and try to find a solution. I know a lot of people who have been following the band for years, but after watching the same show again and again, they are starting to feel disappointed and stopped going to their shows. That's what they want? The solution is easy, don't make the same show 1000 times. And change a BIT the setlist is not so complicated

*I don't know if someone will understand me, sometimes I'm the only one who understand my english haha


They don't care because they have more new fans from the recent albums than older fans from the first, so for every older fan that loses hope and stopping supporting them or attending their shows, they pick up 5, 10, 100 new fans with the latest single they release. I believe it was Tomo who even vocalized this exact sediment in an interview himself. So losing one fan to gain 100 is more important and is obviously working for them, you can 'thank' the echelon Posted Image

#19 laurahya

laurahya

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

View Postzigkiss, on 11 November 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

They don't care because they have more new fans from the recent albums than older fans from the first, so for every older fan that loses hope and stopping supporting them or attending their shows, they pick up 5, 10, 100 new fans with the latest single they release. I believe it was Tomo who even vocalized this exact sediment in an interview himself. So losing one fan to gain 100 is more important and is obviously working for them, you can 'thank' the echelon Posted Image
Sigh, you're right of course. I am one of those newer fans, but to be honest for me TIW was like a gateway into everything else. I love their old stuff too, and it makes me sad that as a new fan I might now never get to see that stuff played live. It's not necessarily just old fans they'll lose if that's the case. No one, old or new, really wants to see the same show a million times, unless of course they're only there to scream and take photos of Jared with his shirt off - apparently that never gets old :rolleyes:

#20 J30STM

J30STM

    "Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

View Postlaurahya, on 10 November 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I mean, not even in terms of the set list, but what you and Aitzi were saying about the "improvised" stuff, like the discussion in between songs. Every band does that "omg [insert country/city here] is awesome!" but repeating the same crap every night? Especially when you're doing gigs in places within an hour of each other. Of course your best fans are going to travel around and see you more than once. But I guess it's like seeing a play or a movie 25 times - no matter how much you love it, it starts to get boring if it's never going to change... I guess maybe if they had the same basic set list but actually listened to fans' suggestions - apparently Jared asks for what people want to hear, so what's the point if they do what they want anyway?

Wow, </bitch>. I really didn't mean to go off, I don't really have the right as a retroactive fan (better than newbie, I feel ;) ).  But it really is interesting to hear the opinions of people who've been following them for years. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Like Larissa said, with a movie you know the outcome as that is a fixed storyline/ ending. Going to a 30 show has become somewhat of a movie as we know what's gonna happen...
What bugs me is that ( like I said before many times ) the band truly knows there are fans that travel from show to show, so they also should be aware of the fact that it isn't fair playing the same thing over & over...I would think for the band it would be boring as well to be doing that. Yes, by now I know what he says/ screams in which song, in what part of the song he stops the music the chitchat ( which is really annoying as it breaks the beat of the song's music ) and goes on about the audience not participating enough.

You weren't bitching in my eyes btw. The forum should, besides applauding stuff the band does, also be a place were I can speak my mind about some of the things we don't like, specially if we are paying for them to keep touring! We buy tickets, merch and all that stuff, that makes it possible for them to do this. So I only think it's fair to voice the other side of things that aren't as good as they are projected to the outside world that is not a fan yet.

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 10 November 2011 - 04:42 PM, said:

For a band that always proclaims to be different, creative and that shows are unexpected and mayhem - they really aren't. They really aren't unique anymore. Used to be, but times have changed.
QFTMT!!

View Postzigkiss, on 11 November 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

They don't care because they have more new fans from the recent albums than older fans from the first, so for every older fan that loses hope and stopping supporting them or attending their shows, they pick up 5, 10, 100 new fans with the latest single they release. I believe it was Tomo who even vocalized this exact sediment in an interview himself. So losing one fan to gain 100 is more important and is obviously working for them, you can 'thank' the echelon Posted Image
This ^^ is really disturbing to read. I had no idea that Tomo said anything like that. But then again I shouldn't be surprised as he said other stuff before regarding old skool fans, that left me in disbelief & shaking my head. That coming from the man that claimed to be a die hard fan of 30 Seconds To Mars before joining the band...How things change once you become a part of that band.
But then even Jared has made remarks in that direction in a video..so that is how much old fans mean to them..

EDIT :
Just got text from Larissa ( VanillaMintFusion ) who is at one of the French shows tonight. Vibe started out real good, no surprises in songs. Then they showed the whole Hurricane vid ( 13 min ) on screens & the crowd went "dead"
She & friends chanted Capricorn during the acoustic set, but got dirty look in return...............
I rest my case




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users