#41 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 27 September 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

It`s one of them one point perspectives?

Yes.

The 'Agnus Dei.' "The sha(man) himself."

Just in case you missed it the first time.
http://twitter.com/#...tus/11010802103

#42 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Or a `polythetic` adult version ;P

Posted Image

#43 tina73

tina73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

He also paints his toe nails!!!! :blink:

#44 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 27 September 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

S'okay. I have a long memory.

Posted Image

http://jaredleto.com...rother-shannon/

Old picture. And I'm still wondering about it. Cause what tradition exactly is he pointing at with this? The Christian one with the "Lamb of God who takes away the sin"? The Old Testament one with the "scape goat" that gets punished for the sins of others without knowing it or willing it? Or Jared's favored Book of Revelations with "a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain" who gets to break the seals later on and - oh! - releases a white horse. And a red one. And more stuff.

Something is nagging at me about this too:

Posted Image   Posted Image

More sacrifice??

Lastly, why does Jared bring the word 'shaman' into the mix? Because at first sight it doesn't seem related to the pic of the lamb: shamans are mediators who communicate with the spirits on behalf of the community. They can voluntarily enter altered states of consciousness. Perhaps you could say that their role as a healer is somewhat related to the idea of 'taking away others' sins'.

(Linkie: http://sped2work.tri...com/shaman.html)

Other ideas?

#45 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

haha pale - well now I feel slightly weird/pleased that you might have ulterior motives. I guess one goes thru that? He probably doesn't care in the end because there must be a line to cross where one separates from the self. I don't blame him or any other successful artist/person either. I don't know. Maybe someday I will get it. I wonder if that day comes, will I like it? I am counting the t-shirts...
Oh, I like the snowy trees! I may indeed use that for inspiration, thank you - I haven't painted a dead tree in years. It reminds me of one of my favorite A. Aubrey Bodine images
Posted Image

Mistressred I did not mean for the questions to be loaded but I guess they were, kinda. ;)
I agree with much of what you said. Including the modern art of stripes, swirls, drips and such. I mean, I enjoy a great many of them because the color is nice, the lines are nice... but they don't "move me". In my case, it could be very personal - I have dabbled in "modern art" pieces but without a central image I feel... like I didn't finish. A lot of my work leans towards the abstract but I like to describe it as abstract with a point... something more than just a line or a drip. To those who paint such themes, they must enjoy it and/or make money at it so either way, god bless em. I just can't.
No shit. No shit on plates. No.

Ivy_Burrows, your first line gave me a smile. It's true isn't it?
and what I said to Mistressred about modern art. Ditto.

AmanitaVirosa a door or a piece of architecture can inspire. There's a building I can see from work that I became quite fascinated with last spring - it isn't even a very interesting building. But my eye focused on the symmetry that was not symmetrical, the balance created from imbalance. I took a photo and turned it into template where I could explore color and shadings. I took out the door tho'

mamanchat, the figure 8, the number 8... also the symbol of infinity. Which brings us to the mobius strip. I adore the mobius strip...
why do you think he is fascinated with the figure 8?
I miss most of these sorts of things so I have no idea.

View PostSpectralTiger, on 27 September 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

This is amusing - we start a thread about Spaghetto`s blog and he stops posting pics. Typical lol  :rolleyes:
Maybe he took a day off...
thing is, do we really need someone else's pics in order to have a conversation?
seems to me, the jumping off point was just to get the ball rolling
it's rolling... but then again, tisn't my thread. But I have enjoyed it so far. :)

#46 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostCandyO, on 27 September 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

mamanchat, the figure 8, the number 8... also the symbol of infinity. Which brings us to the mobius strip. I adore the mobius strip...
why do you think he is fascinated with the figure 8?

Start again with a brand new name
And eyes that see into infinity

I guess maybe you just said it yourself?

"The infinity symbol is also sometimes depicted as a special variation of the ancient ouroboros  snake symbol. The snake is twisted into the horizontal eight  configuration while engaged in eating its own tail, a uniquely suitable  symbol for endlessness."
(wiki-knowledge, so: handle with care; some more on that to be found here though)

Posted Image

[ETA] Interesting little tidbit: "In 1812, the Republic of Haiti under President Alexandre Pétion issued its first locally minted coinage which featured an image of a serpent biting its own tail." (wiki)

#47 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostMistressred, on 26 September 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Fire  this is the painting well let's see... "HATED IT!!!"

I do think for the most part if an artist is happy with his art, if he made it for himself but other people enjoy it, well that's all good. Now my sick mind will always go oh well, there are exceptions. Say, someone shits on a plate and calls it art... :lol:  anyone else wanna shit on a plate? One person's trash is another mans treasure and all that.

Andy Warhol's "Oxidation" series comes to mind.
http://www.christies...bjectID=5074062

Posted Image

On the subject of that painting with three stripes:

Back in antiquity, one such painting was all the rage, and it took two of the world's greatest painter to create it.

Pliny the Elder tell the story in his "Natural History" -- the painter Apelles has gone to the home of his colleague Protogenes to introduce himself.

"Protogenes was not at home, but there happened to be a large panel upon the easel ready for painting, with an old woman who was left in charge. To his enquiries she made answer, that Protogenes was not at home, and then asked whom she should name as the visitor. "Here he is," was the reply of Apelles, and seizing a brush, he traced with colour upon the panel an outline of a singularly minute fineness. Upon his return, the old woman mentioned to Protogenes what had happened. The artist, it is said, upon remarking the delicacy of the touch, instantly exclaimed that Apelles must have been the visitor, for that no other person was capable of executing anything so exquisitely perfect. So saying, he traced within the same outline a still finer outline, but with another colour, and then took his departure, with instructions to the woman to show it to the stranger, if he returned, and to let him know that this was the person whom he had come to see.

It happened as he anticipated; Apelles returned, and vexed at finding himself thus surpassed, he took up another colour and split(45) both of the outlines, leaving no possibility of anything finer being executed. Upon seeing this, Protogenes admitted that he was defeated, and at once flew to the harbour to look for his guest. He thought proper, too, to transmit the panel to posterity, just as it was, and it always continued to be held in the highest admiration by all, artists in particular. I am told that it was burnt in the first fire which took place at Cćsar's palace on the Palatine Hill; but in former times I have often stopped to admire it. Upon its vast surface it contained nothing whatever except the three outlines, so remarkably fine as to escape the sight: among the most elaborate works of numerous other artists it had all the appearance of a blank space; and yet by that very fact it attracted the notice of every one, and was held in higher estimation than any other painting there."

#48 XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

You don't see things as they are, you see them as you are

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image

This one is interesting. Reminds me of The Veus of Willendorf. Don't ask me why it just comes out of my head. Prehistoric 2500 AD.

Posted Image

#49 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

Back in antiquity, one such painting was all the rage, and it took two of the world's greatest painter to create it.

Pliny the Elder tell the story in his "Natural History" -- the painter Apelles has gone to the home of his colleague Protogenes to introduce himself.

"Protogenes was not at home, but there happened to be a large panel upon the easel ready for painting, with an old woman who was left in charge. To his enquiries she made answer, that Protogenes was not at home, and then asked whom she should name as the visitor. "Here he is," was the reply of Apelles, and seizing a brush, he traced with colour upon the panel an outline of a singularly minute fineness. Upon his return, the old woman mentioned to Protogenes what had happened. The artist, it is said, upon remarking the delicacy of the touch, instantly exclaimed that Apelles must have been the visitor, for that no other person was capable of executing anything so exquisitely perfect. So saying, he traced within the same outline a still finer outline, but with another colour, and then took his departure, with instructions to the woman to show it to the stranger, if he returned, and to let him know that this was the person whom he had come to see.

It happened as he anticipated; Apelles returned, and vexed at finding himself thus surpassed, he took up another colour and split(45) both of the outlines, leaving no possibility of anything finer being executed. Upon seeing this, Protogenes admitted that he was defeated, and at once flew to the harbour to look for his guest. He thought proper, too, to transmit the panel to posterity, just as it was, and it always continued to be held in the highest admiration by all, artists in particular. I am told that it was burnt in the first fire which took place at Cćsar's palace on the Palatine Hill; but in former times I have often stopped to admire it. Upon its vast surface it contained nothing whatever except the three outlines, so remarkably fine as to escape the sight: among the most elaborate works of numerous other artists it had all the appearance of a blank space; and yet by that very fact it attracted the notice of every one, and was held in higher estimation than any other painting there."

So it`s all about whose hand shakes less?

#50 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:28 AM

View PostXX BR3AK M3 D0WN, on 27 September 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

This one is interesting. Reminds me of The Veus of Willendorf. Don't ask me why it just comes out of my head. Prehistoric 2500 AD.

Posted Image

He might be revisiting some old images?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Capricorn.

I've been wracking my brain to try and remember what old painting the above reminds me off (some Renaissance painting of an old mythological theme?) But the Venus of Willendorf conjures up interesting ideas too.

#51 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

Venus of Urbino?

Posted Image

The Rape of Europa?

Posted Image

Birth of Venus by Cabanel?

Posted Image

or Birth of Venus by Botticelli? (although she`s standing up here and covers up)

Posted Image

or... none of the above

#52 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

This was maybe the artists rendition of Venus. I really think He posted the photo simply because it is a nice piece. She has some major metal boobage, too.  I feel like something is missing...or maybe she is supposed to be "swimming". ?

I think sometimes ... "meanings" are taken too far, but at the same time if it makes you smile and you learn something along the way...you've been blessed.

For instance...when he was posting the manhole covers I would imagine he was,  in a sense, simply attempting to bring some tangibility in an easy visible sense to the whole "NYC Underground" (btw...best cd's EVER!).... Underground.....underground. All wires are starting to move underground.

I often wonder what's beneath these city streets. Wires and cables all tangled up...connecting everything. Left to rust and left to dust as will crumble everything we've ever made. Nobody will live to see the future....only on his dying day.

#53 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

View Postpale_existence, on 28 September 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

This was maybe the artists rendition of Venus. I really think He posted the photo simply because it is a nice piece. She has some major metal boobage, too.  I feel like something is missing...or maybe she is supposed to be "swimming". ?

In the myth, Venus was born from the sea, that's what you see here -- "The Birth of Venus" by Alexandre Cabanel

Posted Image

(random!alert) Cabanel painted this, too --

Posted Image

"Fallen Angel"

View Postpale_existence, on 28 September 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

I think sometimes ... "meanings" are taken too far, but at the same time if it makes you smile and you learn something along the way...you've been blessed.

For instance...when he was posting the manhole covers I would imagine he was,  in a sense, simply attempting to bring some tangibility in an easy visible sense to the whole "NYC Underground"

You could say that.

*cough*
(Stop me now, before somebody gets hurt.)

#54 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

LOL `The Hurricane`s chasing us all....afterhours`  B)

#55 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 28 September 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

LOL `The Hurricane`s chasing us all....afterhours`  B)

Really.

U R here --

Posted Image

Broodhuis, Brussels

http://picasaweb.goo...620012184472546
Yeah?

time and date

#56 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 28 September 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

time and date

Maybe he`d know?

Posted Image

There was Brussels Summer Festival going on at Mont des Arts on this evening. Just round the corner from Broodhuis.

You`ve got something else in mind though, don`t you?

#57 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

she was a whore
she used too many times
she stole
she has been stolen
she is a bitch
she is a sweetheart
she is a baby
she has been used
she has been abused
she has abused
she has dreamed
she has hurt
she has been hurt
she has had her dreams raped
she likes (hot) lesbians
she likes to bang
she likes to be banged (shebang)
she has never been banged hard enough
she meets people creepier than her
she is evil sometimes
she is a whore
she will never understand the small-penis syndrome
she was a thief

You are a thief.

#58 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

View Postmamanchat, on 27 September 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Start again with a brand new name
And eyes that see into infinity

I guess maybe you just said it yourself?

"The infinity symbol is also sometimes depicted as a special variation of the ancient ouroboros  snake symbol. The snake is twisted into the horizontal eight  configuration while engaged in eating its own tail, a uniquely suitable  symbol for endlessness."
(wiki-knowledge, so: handle with care; some more on that to be found here though)

http://i2.photobucke...eogryffin02.jpg

[ETA] Interesting little tidbit: "In 1812, the Republic of Haiti under President Alexandre Pétion issued its first locally minted coinage which featured an image of a serpent biting its own tail." (wiki)
ooh
yeah, I guess I did. thank you. :)

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

Andy Warhol's "Oxidation" series comes to mind.
http://www.christies...bjectID=5074062

http://i1025.photobu...t/oxidation.jpg

I kinda like that oxidation painting.

Thanks for the story of the painting with three stripes. I don't think I ever heard that one before... unless it was in school. The drug years. Which would explain why I don't remember it.

View Postmamanchat, on 28 September 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

http://i2.photobucke...pit05_small.png

http://i2.photobucke...pit04_small.png

Capricorn.

I've been wracking my brain to try and remember what old painting the above reminds me off (some Renaissance painting of an old mythological theme?) But the Venus of Willendorf conjures up interesting ideas too.
Nice images others have posted but I immediately thought The Divine Comedy/Dante's Inferno.  
Amos Nattini:
Posted Image
Gustave Doré
The Violent, tortured in the rain of Fire
...and there was something else but I can't find it now.

Sometimes, when it's quiet, that is the best time to think.

#59 XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

View Postmamanchat, on 28 September 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Capricorn.

I think youre thinking of a reniassiance painting of Jesus being carried on the cross. I forget the name havent taken art history in over a year but that's an interesting observation.

There seems to be a overwhelming theme of sacrifice. ESP that scene posted with the knife being thrown at Shannon.

And the this is war video with the vehicles being thrown at them I wonder what it all means. I'll have to research that painting. I believe it was created in the 1400s and it's of Jesus on the cross.

- Sent from my iPhone

#60 XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image

Found it..

Lamentation Of Christ 1606
Anniballe Carracci