#21 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 26 September 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

Hmm that first pic has more of a Mondriaan feel to it than Escher to be honest.

Posted Image

While the second could be seen something ispired out of Escher's symmetrie period I'd say it's more about graphics, dimension, perspective than just an optical illusion as we'd see with Escher.

Symmetrie
Posted Image

(Truthfully, it kinda looks like Legos to me.)

New Business:

http://jaredleto.com...tee-shirts-nyc/

Posted Image

#22 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

(Truthfully, it kinda looks like Legos to me.)

New Business:

http://jaredleto.com...tee-shirts-nyc/

Posted Image
Tomo's Lego  :lol: http://lockerz.com/s/141798672

The tshirts, well sort of a lego collage of "blast from the past" sort of memories (more the first pic on the page, not so much the one you posted perhaps).

#23 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Interesting.

I don't often look at his blog but now and then a random tweet description leads me to click and view and this morning over my first cup of coffee I saw a Bart Art reference and because of the Art bit I clicked to see this

View PostSpectralTiger, on 26 September 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

Posted Image

... I read all the comments because I was curious. In the past such offerings are usually met with praise and accolades - I remember a fuzzy pic of Shannon and his motorcycle mates that he tweeted and the comments were OMG AMAZING YOU LOOK GREAT THATS EPIC and all I could manage was "so you're the blurry one then?"

Anyway, as I read the comments today most were positive to the point of hero worship. I saw a few that were less than positive. One person was downright critical not just about the piece itself [and they were extremely critical to the point where I felt a bit uncomfortable because art is art and to call any creation crap is a judgement not only on the work but also on those who do enjoy it] but more in point to the hordes of fans who proclaimed it to be the most awesome thing EVER and why exactly why did they think that? Would they think the same if the artist was not Jared? And I thought to myself, this would make an interesting conversation but that doesn't seem to be possible in the comment only world of jared's blog.

And then this thread was here. :)

So while this may not be exactly the right place, it seems to be the only place available. So let me put this forth if I may. I really am interested because as an artist, I admit that I sometimes don't understand why people like one thing more than another. My favorite art is my own so I welcome any help to see this through the eyes of others.

What makes art, any kind of art [paintings, drawings, photography, music, whatever] "good"? Is beauty indeed in the eye of the beholder? If so, why does anyone else care?
If the artist is happy with it and someone else in the world enjoys it, for whatever reason, is that not good enough?
Must art have a point, a reason, a message, in order to be relevant?
Why must art be relevant?
Is who the artist IS more important than the actual creation?
Do people covet the work of someone they know of/admire/covet more than a piece made by a stranger?
Could I sell more if I was famous/attractive/male?
Is buying art a way for some people to "own" a part of something/someone that otherwise they could never have/be?
What is the real purpose of art - to move the viewer or to offer release to the artist... or is it both.

All that while I was still on my first cup of coffee this morning. :)

#24 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yes, you would sell more if you were an attractive and famous male. (I just viewed your page and I REALLY like "Purple Tree/2007".)

I definitely think that people praise because they may possibly be paid to do so (j/k..). It's flukkin' Jared Leto. Pretty boy heartthrob god with a supposed engorged ...toe. It's good to praise though. He obviously enjoys all attention (not necessarily eyes) on him, when he wants it. Criticism can go the same way. Sometimes... and some people work well with it. I mostly don't, but some do. We are going to hear if our hair looks like shit, that it's clear we didn't put our heart into something or that we have a hangin' booger (or something), every once in a while. For some artists...that 'hate' does do a lot of driving.

While I ... don't really like the picture he drew...I do like that it looks like he took something that is 'no good' and prossibly would've otherwise been dumped in the trash (see the mold or dirt marks on it?) and he turned it into something 'useful'. It gives both Bart and his girlfriend a 5-o'clock shadow. heh

Actually--I never want to see a 'Bart' drawing again in my life :(

#25 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

View PostCandyO, on 26 September 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

Interesting.

...What makes art, any kind of art [paintings, drawings, photography, music, whatever] "good"? Is beauty indeed in the eye of the beholder? If so, why does anyone else care?
If the artist is happy with it and someone else in the world enjoys it, for whatever reason, is that not good enough?
Must art have a point, a reason, a message, in order to be relevant?
Why must art be relevant?
Is who the artist IS more important than the actual creation?
Do people covet the work of someone they know of/admire/covet more than a piece made by a stranger?
Could I sell more if I was famous/attractive/male?
Is buying art a way for some people to "own" a part of something/someone that otherwise they could never have/be?
What is the real purpose of art - to move the viewer or to offer release to the artist... or is it both.

All that while I was still on my first cup of coffee this morning. :)

I have questions, too, like, if Terry Richardson did it first is that plagiarism?

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Or, is this just them talking to each other in some kind of code?)

Dear Jared, Is "Art" who you really are?

#26 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks pale, for your honesty and for liking purple tree.

It really is a weird ride. Positive comments are definitely a good stroke for the artist, but the criticism can be valuable, depending on why and how it is delivered, and if the artist even cares. It depends on the medium/purpose I reckon. When it comes to my flat work, the only person I do it for is me, so if someone finds it lacking in their eyes, it's easy enough for me to tell them to go suck balls but thanks anyway. Which might shut down my growth, but then again, do I want to grow for the purpose of others?

I wonder what it must be like to be that guy, who can post anything really and have everyone love it, and never know if they REALLY love it or is it just because of my name. I may be the winner here because you liked purple tree without me being a famous attractive male. So I feel confident that you REALLY like it. It's pretty clear you have no ulterior motives. :>

hahaa poor Bart... dont give up on him yet pale. He might be the next Picasso.

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

I have questions, too, like, if Terry Richardson did it first is that plagiarism?

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Or, is this just them talking to each other in some kind of code?)

Dear Jared, Is "Art" who you really are?
We would have to track it back to the very first person who ever took a photograph of a bunch of tee shirts. :D
There are only so many things that can be viewed/imagined/painted/photographed in the world. It's how each image is presented that is key. Or something.
It might just be code.

#27 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
no...THIS..is who he really is!

View PostCandyO, on 26 September 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

Thanks pale, for your honesty and for liking purple tree.

It really is a weird ride. Positive comments are definitely a good stroke for the artist, but the criticism can be valuable, depending on why and how it is delivered, and if the artist even cares. It depends on the medium/purpose I reckon. When it comes to my flat work, the only person I do it for is me, so if someone finds it lacking in their eyes, it's easy enough for me to tell them to go suck balls but thanks anyway. Which might shut down my growth, but then again, do I want to grow for the purpose of others?

I wonder what it must be like to be that guy, who can post anything really and have everyone love it, and never know if they REALLY love it or is it just because of my name. I may be the winner here because you liked purple tree without me being a famous attractive male. So I feel confident that you REALLY like it. It's pretty clear you have no ulterior motives. :>

Well.... I really like Terry's. Why do I feel like that particular shirt is sticking out. Damn it now I feel really bad again. I totally do not believe in "spanking kids" and I spanked my son today. :( God loves me...

I am answering your last comment with, "Well, maybe I do have ulterior (I always wanna say alterior) motives cuz maybe t-shirt number4?!"  haha!

I do really, REALLY like it. I like trees. Typically snowy trees and that reminded me of one :). I'll show you a nice picture or two that you might be able to play off of.

I dunno if he cares if they really really love it or only do because they hope for something else. And yanno what? I do not blame him. It would be exhausting trying to figure that out. Apparently he does this thing where he can tell if you're real or not anyway. I think it's all bullshit, to be frank. :)

#28 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Oooh, so many loaded questions...well let's see,I would say for the most part, many fans are just gaga over the photo's or Bart Art being Jared's. Now does that mean that they have no merit? Not at all, I like some of the photos a lot. I love the "Good Door" photos. I don't try to see if there is some hidden message about the door, or where the door leads, or how Jared is interpreting the door, I just like a good, well built, architecturally pleasing to the eye, door. I wish Jared a good door, or three at his home, I would like some of those doors myself, don't really have the house to go with them though,my house being fairly basic. I never bought the picture book, but I am sure there are some interesting photos in it, and photos I have liked that he has posted over the course of this tour.

The Bar Art, is in my opinion, Jared's alter ego coming to the surface. I think he is slightly mad, in a very good way, and he needs to express himself with more than just the music. Bart's images are always strange looking in a Japanese anime sort of way. It is interesting with the stitched up looking mouths, and eyes that have tracking dots coming out of them like he is saying  "Look,open your eyes and see" The art is pretty simple but has similar characters. If he feels the need to draw on walls, and pieces of plywood etc. well have at er I guess. I own a Bart Art original,and it pleases me.

If Bart Art was printed on t shirts and other items some will probably sell, a fair bit of it will be who the artist is.
I think the art and the symbols and glyphs etc. drew fans to the band, it was another thing that made them different and interesting, so if that came from the mind of Jared Leto, it was pretty brilliant.

The whole art thing is each to his own. I happen to like art that I don't have to guess what it is. I really dislike the painting with three lines on it that our Canadian government paid a shit load of tax payers money for. I think it was a pointless waste.

http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Fire  this is the painting well let's see... "HATED IT!!!"

I would have chosen something a bit more complex, Bart's Art. or Candy's art, three stripes...really? People that can paint three stripes with a paint roller raise their hand. Yep pretty much everyone.  B)

I do think for the most part if an artist is happy with his art, if he made it for himself but other people enjoy it, well that's all good. Now my sick mind will always go oh well, there are exceptions. Say, someone shits on a plate and calls it art... :lol:  anyone else wanna shit on a plate? One person's trash is another mans treasure and all that.

#29 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

That painting is...drab, Mistressred. They are like horrible "country style" colors, too.

Candy, I only have the newest one saved on FB. Maybe you can gain inspiration and make a snowy tree 2011! Second picture is just cool...I like the fact that I got trees and the colorful wheel in there.
http://a4.sphotos.ak...9_5564039_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak...9_7273688_n.jpg

#30 Ivy_Burrows

Ivy_Burrows

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

Well, I think art is really in the eye of the beholder. What's art for one person isn't art at all, but just mere lines for someone else....
I don't like Bart's paintings and most of "modern art" is lost on me. I prefer paintings and sculptures by which I ask myself how it's possible to make it look so realistic/substantial. Or paintings in which some brushstrokes of harmonizing colors result in beautiful landscapes or forms. E. g. Vermeer, Rembrandt, Claude Monet, Edouart Manet, Renoir, Salvador Dalí,… I love their art.  For me Kandinsky’s paintings are coming close to what I already call “modern art”…but I like how he played with those full colors, though in many of his paintings it’s just mixed geometrical shapes. Contrary to Kandinsky I don’t like Picasso at all. ;)

#31 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

View PostMistressred, on 26 September 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

Oooh, so many loaded questions...well let's see,I would say for the most part, many fans are just gaga over the photo's or Bart Art being Jared's. Now does that mean that they have no merit? Not at all, I like some of the photos a lot. I love the "Good Door" photos. I don't try to see if there is some hidden message about the door, or where the door leads, or how Jared is interpreting the door, I just like a good, well built, architecturally pleasing to the eye, door.

Oh, me too. I love a good door.

Posted Image

(Ai Weiwei)

#32 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

A good door.... This is what I was initially reminded of. Lol

Posted Image

#33 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

"Ai Weiwei is a Chinese artist and political activist and has always been critical of the Chinese Government. When he’s not busy with his art exhibitions, he often investigates the corruption and cover-ups allegedly perpetrated by the government. He made headlines in April 2011 when he was arrested by Chinese authorities and detained for nearly three months on charges of tax evasion."
http://www.psfk.com/...-nightmare.html

Sounds like an interesting fella.

#34 mamanchat

mamanchat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 27 September 2011 - 05:03 AM, said:

Oh, me too. I love a good door.

Posted Image

(Ai Weiwei)

What this makes me think of most ...

Posted Image (source)

... is Jared's fascination with the figure eight. In Chinese mythology (8 directions / the 8 Immortals ?) ...

Posted Image

... and European cultural equivalents?

http://jaredleto.com...ceiling-sintra/

#35 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

View Postpale_existence, on 27 September 2011 - 06:20 AM, said:

A good door.... This is what I was initially reminded of. Lol

Posted Image

Door: Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!

Posted Image

Drink me. Eat me.

#36 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

This is amusing - we start a thread about Spaghetto`s blog and he stops posting pics. Typical lol  :rolleyes:

#37 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

The Kwain...The Kwain of Harts. Now run along and fetch me a bottle of gin, some juice, and a package of those cute little peanuts so I may flick them at the nobles...

Tar tar tar....daaaaahling.

#38 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 27 September 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

This is amusing - we start a thread about Spaghetto`s blog and he stops posting pics. Typical lol  :rolleyes:

S'okay. I have a long memory.

Posted Image

http://jaredleto.com...rother-shannon/

#39 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

It`s one of them one point perspectives?

Posted Image

33 Rose Street, Covent Garden. I bet they didn`t go in - just check how bored the guy in the window looks. Plus, it`s only 5-10 min walk from their `favourite` place in London. ;P

#40 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Random:

Jared posted this on 21 July 2011 (photo possibly taken on 11 April 2011), titled `One Arm`

Posted Image

I`ve taken this (and a couple more similar ones) on 22 April 2011. Weird. O_o

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users