2128 replies to this topic

#1 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Jared`s blog at jaredleto.com - discuss. No, I don`t mean tell everyone how hot he is, I mean post stuff related to his blog, especially the photos he posts there.

There`s no need to analyse why he posts what he posts on his blog(although in certain circumstances a brief analysis might accidentally happen, which is ok).

This is the place where you can respond to his posts with your own pictures (whether you found them on the internet or took them yourself), your own ideas, points of view and creativity is welcome - anything that relates to Jared`s photos.

This is your canvas, now paint the picture, or in AmanitaVirosa`s words:
"Like squatters in an abandoned store front. We'll cover the place in our own brand of internet graffiti like it was a burned out downtown city street."

Side note: this thread is the child of AmanitaVirosa`s and mine and boy have we been busy conceiving it (he donated the idea, I was pregnant with it for awhile and eventually gave birth to it here). Help us make it into an adult ;)

I`ll start with this one:

http://jaredleto.com...e-architecture/

`Chinese architecture`

Posted Image

Posted Image

This instantly reminded me of a building in London, which looks similar:

Posted Image

Taken from a different angle (nice `triad`, huh?):

Posted Image

It`s always been one of my favourite buildings in London and it`s situated on the south-east `corner` of London Bridge.

#2 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

This is Old Business, and kinda random, but I know they just left Tokyo and guess what -

http://artobserved.c...0th/#more-56122
"Bill Viola  is currently displaying seven works with Transformations at Gallery Koyanagi in Tokyo, to honor his receipt of the prestigious Praemium Imperiale award in painting."

You remember?

#3 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

I don't really think that he post anything different than what most of us post on twitpic/yfrog whatever. Only that he travels more so there is more a change of scenery in what the takes pics of. But basically it's people in his direct vicinity, food, buildings / architectural sites and/or nature pics and og course himself. Pretty much what I take pics of with my blackberry too... only exception is I don't have Terry Richardson take pics of me. Thank god.  :lol:

Aside from that, the pic of the Central Chinese Television CCTV building in Beijing is pretty cool, designed by a Dutch Architect team (OMA) and a german architect. Sorry Jared, might be in China but it's not chinese architecture haha!

#4 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 25 September 2011 - 06:15 PM, said:

This is Old Business, and kinda random, but I know they just left Tokyo and guess what -

http://artobserved.c...0th/#more-56122
"Bill Viola  is currently displaying seven works with Transformations at Gallery Koyanagi in Tokyo, to honor his receipt of the prestigious Praemium Imperiale award in painting."

You remember?

Of course, one of Jared`s most favouritezt artists. Nice. Viola also lived in Japan for two years. Looks like he`s also busy on a couple of installations for St Paul`s Cathedral in London, which is due to be finished in 2012. I shall `go to church` when it`s done ;P
http://www.stpauls.c.../Arts-Programme

#5 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 25 September 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

I don't really think that he post anything different than what most of us post on twitpic/yfrog whatever. Only that he travels more so there is more a change of scenery in what the takes pics of. But basically it's people in his direct vicinity, food, buildings / architectural sites and/or nature pics and og course himself. Pretty much what I take pics of with my blackberry too... only exception is I don't have Terry Richardson take pics of me. Thank god.  :lol:

Aside from that, the pic of the Central Chinese Television CCTV building in Beijing is pretty cool, designed by a Dutch Architect team (OMA) and a german architect. Sorry Jared, might be in China but it's not chinese architecture haha!

It`s not Chinese architecture in the traditional sense but maybe that was the point Jared was making when he named this picture? To stress that China has been changing, opening its doors to the world (and foreign architects), and is on the road to become world`s greatest economy?

Btw, it`d be an honour if Terry wanted to photograph me. :)

#6 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 25 September 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

Of course, one of Jared`s most favouritezt artists. Nice. Viola also lived in Japan for two years. Looks like he`s also busy on a couple of installations for St Paul`s Cathedral in London, which is due to be finished in 2012. I shall `go to church` when it`s done ;P
http://www.stpauls.c.../Arts-Programme

Sure, try it.

(Old one.)

Posted Image

It might put things in a new perspective.

Posted Image

by Damien Hirst

#7 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

For the `Love of God`, also Hirst.

Posted Image

But I can`t remember if Jared ever posted his skull on the netz?

#8 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

It might put things in a new perspective.

Posted Image

by Damien Hirst

It`s interesting how those glass things are coming out of `Jesus` in four different directions...

Edit:

Cathedral of St John the Divine, in *cough* New York City *cough*

Posted Image

#9 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 26 September 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

For the `Love of God`, also Hirst.

Posted Image

But I can`t remember if Jared ever posted his skull on the netz?

Yuh...

Posted Image

...he re-blogged all those pics Terry Richardson took in the studio.
http://jaredleto.com...is-home-studio/

#10 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Yuh...

Posted Image

...he re-blogged all those pics Terry Richardson took in the studio.
http://jaredleto.com...is-home-studio/

Aaaah, arigato! The chicken took centre stage in this photo session so I got distracted ;P

Also, I was just listening to `Stranger in a strange land` live in Cleveland, December 2009 and it reminded me of Jared`s obsession with duplicity...

"I`m a ghost. You`re an angel. We`re one and the same. Just remains of an age"

Posted Image

#11 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 26 September 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

Aaaah, arigato! The chicken took centre stage in this photo session so I got distracted ;P

Also, I was just listening to `Stranger in a strange land` live in Cleveland, December 2009 and it reminded me of Jared`s obsession with duplicity...

"I`m a ghost. You`re an angel. We`re one and the same. Just remains of an age"

Posted Image

(don't take this the wrong way - the myth, not the pop psychology)

Posted Image

#12 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 26 September 2011 - 12:06 AM, said:

It`s not Chinese architecture in the traditional sense but maybe that was the point Jared was making when he named this picture? To stress that China has been changing, opening its doors to the world (and foreign architects), and is on the road to become world`s greatest economy?

Btw, it`d be an honour if Terry wanted to photograph me. :)
Haha see I think the saw a building he liked, took a pic and labeled it chinese because he happend to be in China without digging too deep into the meanings about/behind it. Tomo (could have been Shannon, can't remember) I think tweeted a pic of the same building.

China has been increasingly opening their doors to western technology and knowledge in the past 20 years, whether through directly letting companies settle there or through joint ventures. China already is second largest world economy (after the USA) but alas it's still a country with very little (personal) freedom and great extremes in wealth spread. But I sure do admire their urge to excel and grow.

Regarding the CCTV building in Beijing, I love that it's a very non traditional high rise (both in height, form/shape) and I find it has a bit of an Escher feel to it.

Terry, well I personally don't think his pics are anything special (he's done an ad campaign for a brand I worked for). Don't like what I've heard about his approach to women during work and I think he's just the "it" thing at the moment. I've seen better photographers.  :lol:

#13 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

(don't take this the wrong way - the myth, not the pop psychology)

Posted Image

Narcissus. (lol I wouldn`t be surprised if you told me to take this one personally ;P)

Jared wouldn`t mean that though, would he? He seems to like to get in touch with his `dark` side but he`s not in love with himself. Or is he? Oh hell, aren`t we all?

Btw, check out Terry`s photos for 25 September 2011. He`s current on the issue. I`m awaiting Jared`s response to that (if he bothers).

#14 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 26 September 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Haha see I think the saw a building he liked, took a pic and labeled it chinese because he happend to be in China without digging too deep into the meanings about/behind it. Tomo (could have been Shannon, can't remember) I think tweeted a pic of the same building.

China has been increasingly opening their doors to western technology and knowledge in the past 20 years, whether through directly letting companies settle there or through joint ventures. China already is second largest world economy (after the USA) but alas it's still a country with very little (personal) freedom and great extremes in wealth spread. But I sure do admire their urge to excel and grow.

Regarding the CCTV building in Beijing, I love that it's a very non traditional high rise (both in height, form/shape) and I find it has a bit of an Escher feel to it.

Terry, well I personally don't think his pics are anything special (he's done an ad campaign for a brand I worked for). Don't like what I've heard about his approach to women during work and I think he's just the "it" thing at the moment. I've seen better photographers.  :lol:

Whether or not he puts any thought into his blog, it`s not the point here (we could debate it but none of us will know for sure). What we`re trying to create is, as AmViro said (in his sig), a mirror of Jared`s blog. We can discuss his blog and post photos which we found on line, or which are our own pics, that relate somehow to Jared`s pics. It may be the place where some people may show us their own creativity. It`s just for fun and legal (as opposed to graffiti *wink*) :)

#15 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Ahhh ok I understood it wrong then  ;) I thought you were trying to dissect why he posted certain random twitpics.
Never read sigs so missed that part...

So regarding the CCTV building and the "Escher" vibe I get. For those that don't know Escher, it's all about optical illusions.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#16 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 26 September 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

Jared wouldn`t mean that though, would he? He seems to like to get in touch with his `dark` side but he`s not in love with himself. Or is he? Oh hell, aren`t we all?

The story of Narcissus was a Greek myth. Our interpretation of it and the notion of 'narcissism' we get from Ovid (a later Roman writer) and Freud (thanks so much guys).

What was probably more in keeping with Greek thought was the idea that Narcissus did not recognize himself, and that was his downfall -- in relation to the charge of the god Apollo, "Know Thyself."

From the "Capricorn" video -

Posted Image

Posted Image

(murky waters indeed)

"This is the stage of Narcissus looking into the pool... The aim is not to see, but to realize that one is, that essence; then one is free to wander as that essence in the world... The essence of oneself and the essence of the world: these two are one."
- "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" Joseph Campbell

#17 SpectralTiger

SpectralTiger

Speshul case

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

VanillaMintFusion, you gave me an idea to go back to my first post and edit it. I hope this will explain it better and minimize any future confusion (I suck at explaining stuff big time).

I must admit that at first the CCTV building gave me the optical illusion too. It was Tomo`s picture though, I think.

AmanitaVirosa, so the fact that those waters in the video are muddy and prevent the boy from seeing himself -does it mean the boy `knows himself`? Cuz he can now know his existence (or the meaning of his existence?) and doesn`t have to see himself? It`s sad that this beautiful myth got so derailed along the way - thanks for pointing that out.

#18 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

I think the glass going 4-ways is the cross. Different. Dang, look at how many views of this thread there have been already!

#19 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 25 September 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

This is in Madrid. (same kind of deal *g*)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Escher-esque?

#20 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

View PostAmanitaVirosa, on 26 September 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

This is in Madrid. (same kind of deal *g*)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Escher-esque?
Hmm that first pic has more of a Mondriaan feel to it than Escher to be honest.

Posted Image

While the second could be seen something ispired out of Escher's symmetrie period I'd say it's more about graphics, dimension, perspective than just an optical illusion as we'd see with Escher.

Symmetrie
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users