Jump to content


An idea for a scrapbook...


  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: An idea for a scrapbook... (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree on writing the same opening lines and ending notes for each of our stories? example: each starting with "Dear 30STM" and ending with "Yours Sincerely"

  1. Yes (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  2. No (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Do you agree on Novermber as the delivery time?

  1. Yes (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  2. No (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys!

First of all, I need to say that I came up with this idea after reading the topics 'How Did You Fall in Love With 30STM?' and 'The Healing Powers of Thirty Seconds to Mars Music' so all credits belong to 'Tsunamirage' and 'maayanrosen' for starting them. Also, I hope there hasn't been a similar topic. I didn't find anything similar as far as I looked.

I've read pretty amazing stories of your first experiences with Mars and I believe they're worth being saved and read. My own story has always been a highlight in my life and I owe it to the band. Most of us are thankful for their music and inspiration. That's why I was thinking maybe we can make a kind of scrapbook out of these stories and share them with the band, tell them how we got to know them and of course appreciate all they've done. These stories can be collected and edited digitally, printed, and given to the band in a Meet&Greet session with the help of a volunteer fan.

This is a 100% optional gathering so those of you who aren't interested, there's no obligation for you to participate in this topic.

The most important thing is to write as concise as possible. We don't want to bore them, we just want to let them know how they've changed our lives and inspired our thoughts. So despite mentioning our own challenges, we have to avoid general speeches.

I need to know if there are enough people here approving with this idea. If so, we'll arrange a date so that you can all send your stories to my email address, I'll collect them in 1 file, email it to all of you for your final approval (if you don't want others to read your stories, you can mention that in your email) and then send it to one of the volunteers to give it to the band. Your stories should probably include your name and where you're from.

Share your ideas here, let's see if we can do this... ;)

EDIT:
About the first poll, plz comment because we need a tie breaker now!!!

I figured I should delete the second poll cuz I think we can agree on this that each of you can submit their story the way you like. Also it was causing a few problems. But I'll have the options anyway so that newcomers can decide.
There are 3 options you can choose to submit your writing: 1)Digitally, writing them in Word and emailing them to the volunteer. Then printed and given to the band. 2)Writing down in our own handwriting, have them scanned and emailed to the volunteer. Then printed and given to the band. 3)Writing them down in our own handwriting and send them to the volunteer by post. So just take a look at the following info to make things clearer.
For the people who want to submit their story digitally: You can email your stories to one of the following addresses. Mine: "fatima.fazelitehrani@yahoo.com" or Janini's: "Janey@gmx.com" . Don't forget to use wordart if you like. Though I'll have to arrange the font size to adjust it into 2 A5 pages. You can insert pictures of your artwork inside your text as well. Please write your name/age/location at the beginning of the first page.
For the people who want to scan their stories: Pick an A4 paper and cut it in half, write your story and place your artwork. Then put the papers close together again and then scan them. You can then email the file to one of the email addresses above. DON'T FORGET to place a 2cm space as margin on the left side of your papers. Please write your name/age/location at the beginning of the first page.
For the people who want to post their stories: Write your stories in 2 different A5 papers (not 2 sided), add any kind of artwork you like and then hold until we announce an exact mailing address. DON'T FORGET to place a 2cm space as margin at the left side of you papers. Please write your name/age/location at the beginning of the first page. When posting, choose a proper envelope in order to fit your pages without having to fold them.

Since we don't want to waste anymore time, we're gonna set a deadline for the first and second group above. You need to email your pages by 1st of October. For the people who want to post, you need to post in order for it to be delivered by 10th of October. Mailing address will be announced within the next few days.

Also, for the people who would like their stories to be reviewed (if English is not your first language), you can email them first to Coco Converse's address "lykkeskye@live.com" and she'll reply it back to you as soon as she finishes checking. Then you can submit them in whatever way you've decided. So watch your timing and try not the be late. If by any chance, we figured we need more time, we'll extend the deadline but I hope it doesn't happen.

I'll be glad to hear your comments about the conditions above. Anything important will be added. Also, you can discuss you ideas for the cover or name of the book.

A third poll is going to be added in order to find out if you agree on delivering the scrapbook in November.

Good Luck!! ;)

#2 GLoomisLP477

GLoomisLP477

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

I think this is a pretty damn good idea. I know at one show the band had a camera and some lady going around interviewing people asking what their connection to the music was. At first I thought it was someone from E! because they had people from E! there for something else, but the lady said it was Jared's project and not affiliated with anyone else. But i know that in the past Jared has really taken an interest in why people were drawn to the music and has used various avenues to collect the information through 3rd party sources. Great idea.

#3 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

For certainly, I will participate in this, Fatima! I believe in the past I have observed some people whom have attempted to organize some similar projects, as in gather stories from fellow fans to be made into a book to give to the band, but they never took off... additionally, it seems as though a project such as this will fare off better and perchancely be a success if it derives from the official message board here where it can hopefully reach out to a greater mass of people, as opposed to a Tumblr/Facebook page.

Once more information becomes available and posted, such as the e-mail as to where to send one's story to, mine will be on the way!

Hmm, do you think it would be propitious if there were to be a minimum word count for one's story? As you originally stated in regards to not wanting to bore them, an individual's story should not simply be two to three sentences, and have it be considered a final draft.

#4 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

View Post97thStep, on 30 August 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

I think this is a pretty damn good idea. I know at one show the band had a camera and some lady going around interviewing people asking what their connection to the music was. At first I thought it was someone from E! because they had people from E! there for something else, but the lady said it was Jared's project and not affiliated with anyone else. But i know that in the past Jared has really taken an interest in why people were drawn to the music and has used various avenues to collect the information through 3rd party sources. Great idea.

I didn't know about this!! Thanks for mentioning... ;)

View PostCoco Converse, on 31 August 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

For certainly, I will participate in this, Fatima! I believe in the past I have observed some people whom have attempted to organize some similar projects, as in gather stories from fellow fans to be made into a book to give to the band, but they never took off... additionally, it seems as though a project such as this will fare off better and perchancely be a success if it derives from the official message board here where it can hopefully reach out to a greater mass of people, as opposed to a Tumblr/Facebook page.

Once more information becomes available and posted, such as the e-mail as to where to send one's story to, mine will be on the way!

Hmm, do you think it would be propitious if there were to be a minimum word count for one's story? As you originally stated in regards to not wanting to bore them, an individual's story should not simply be two to three sentences, and have it be considered a final draft.

That's so true. People on Facebook or other social networks may not be as involved with the band as the people here so it's the best place to start this project. As for the scrapbook, we need to have enough stories as I said before. 2-3 people cannot make a successful one. But I promise if a satisfying number of fans attend, I'll do this thing with everything I can.
You're also right about the word count! It has to be a fair number, not just a few sentences without any meanings, and not a 10 page article. I'm not really good at giving a number for words to write but I suppose 100-200 will suffice. What do you think? :)

#5 Mizia

Mizia

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

Love the idea! I wanna be a part of this;) i think 100-200 words will be enough;)

#6 Coco Converse

Coco Converse

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:59 AM

Looking up at the moment as to approximately how long one-hundred words is, one-hundred words tends to look like a a good paragraph, or half a page's worth of writing, so yes, I believe that is a great number for the minimum words in which a participant's submission should be!

Fatima, do you have anything envisioned in your head as to what the final copy of this scrapbook will look like? Will it perhaps be sent off to a publisher whom can constitute it into a professional looking, hard-cover book?

Also, perhaps those whom would like to participate in this project can brainstorm and suggest ideas as to what the title of this scrapbook shall be called, and even submit a visual design if they like as to what the cover of the scrapbook could be? Later on, we could feasibly hold a vote from everybody as to what they think is the best title to be used for the scrapbook, and the best cover art?

#7 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

View PostMizia, on 31 August 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Love the idea! I wanna be a part of this;) i think 100-200 words will be enough;)

Great! We're 4 people now... :)

View PostCoco Converse, on 31 August 2011 - 02:59 AM, said:

Looking up at the moment as to approximately how long one-hundred words is, one-hundred words tends to look like a a good paragraph, or half a page's worth of writing, so yes, I believe that is a great number for the minimum words in which a participant's submission should be!

Fatima, do you have anything envisioned in your head as to what the final copy of this scrapbook will look like? Will it perhaps be sent off to a publisher whom can constitute it into a professional looking, hard-cover book?

Also, perhaps those whom would like to participate in this project can brainstorm and suggest ideas as to what the title of this scrapbook shall be called, and even submit a visual design if they like as to what the cover of the scrapbook could be? Later on, we could feasibly hold a vote from everybody as to what they think is the best title to be used for the scrapbook, and the best cover art?

Dear Coco Converse, I'm gonna need all your suggestions and creative ideas in this project. I'm not gonna be all bossy and stuff, this is a group work so plzzzzz don't hesitate to share your opinions with me :) . So yes, it's a fantastic idea to come up with a name and cover for this book.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, could be a prepared scrapbook with our own designs and with fans writing in it in their own handwriting. But since we can't gather for this cause, I think it's gonna be all typed but with your own style of word art and coloring, even each page can be decorated the way its writer wants.

As for the cover, I'm ready to hear all your opinions. I haven't really thought about it yet. But unfortunately in this case, since I don't think I'm gonna be able to go to another Mars concert by the end of the year and I'm pretty much in a far country, the effort goes to the volunteer fan and how she/he can pull this off. That's why we need to find and ask the volunteer first.

And as soon as we agree on different ideas or in need of a voting section, I'm gonna add it to the first post of this topic ;)

#8 Janini

Janini

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

Haha, I was just remembering the thread about "The healing powers..." and wanted to start a thread like this myself... Haha ;) Great minds think alike, eh?

I can volunteer for handing this over. I'll be going to one of their german concerts in november, which would also be enough time to gather stories and think everything through thoroughly.

When it comes to the cover I also thought it would be nice to have some art work of a fan or something. I'm pretty sure we have someone talented amongst us to come up with something.
I'd also be willing to help with anything that is necessary. Think it's an awesome idea.
I've also been thinking that we could maybe include art in there as well. I know that everyone's good with words to express themselves and that there might be people being better in expressing everything in pictures. I think they should be given the opportunity to do so as well. Would also make the scrapbook even more interesting.

#9 Nine

Nine

    BORN VILLAIN

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:32 AM

Sounds about as entertaining as a wedding video.

#10 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

View PostJanini, on 01 September 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

Haha, I was just remembering the thread about "The healing powers..." and wanted to start a thread like this myself... Haha ;) Great minds think alike, eh?

I can volunteer for handing this over. I'll be going to one of their german concerts in november, which would also be enough time to gather stories and think everything through thoroughly.

When it comes to the cover I also thought it would be nice to have some art work of a fan or something. I'm pretty sure we have someone talented amongst us to come up with something.
I'd also be willing to help with anything that is necessary. Think it's an awesome idea.
I've also been thinking that we could maybe include art in there as well. I know that everyone's good with words to express themselves and that there might be people being better in expressing everything in pictures. I think they should be given the opportunity to do so as well. Would also make the scrapbook even more interesting.

It's so relieving to hear that there are other fans supporting this project cuz I was starting to think maybe it's kind of a lame idea (no offense, it's just that I get paranoid really quickly :D ).
I'm glad that you have a chance to visit Mars and I appreciate that you volunteered for the handling job. As for the art ideas, unfortunately I'm not a very talented or creative person in this field so I guess I'll just leave it to the rest of you guys to decide and I can comment :D . But I'm totally with it. As long as it doesn't change the scrapbook subject, it's an option worth trying!

View PostNine, on 01 September 2011 - 05:32 AM, said:

Sounds about as entertaining as a wedding video.

Thank you?! :D

#11 Ardeur

Ardeur

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think thats a great idea! 30stm means so much to me and has saved my life. :)

#12 Janini

Janini

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well great! I think the main issues are settled. What we need to do now is start gathering stories/art work/or whatever else you want to contribute that matches the subject and see whether we're going to get anything at all.

And it would be nice to maybe have a native speaker on our side. I consider my english pretty good but I'd still feel safer if there was a native speaker correcting the stories. I wouldn't want people to have a disadvantage just because their english happens to be not as good.

I was also thinking that I could ask one of my room mates for help. He's a student of media design and he sure can help me out with some advice for layout and so on.

#13 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

View PostArdeur, on 01 September 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

I think thats a great idea! 30stm means so much to me and has saved my life. :)

Thanks for participation... :)

View PostJanini, on 01 September 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

Well great! I think the main issues are settled. What we need to do now is start gathering stories/art work/or whatever else you want to contribute that matches the subject and see whether we're going to get anything at all.

And it would be nice to maybe have a native speaker on our side. I consider my english pretty good but I'd still feel safer if there was a native speaker correcting the stories. I wouldn't want people to have a disadvantage just because their english happens to be not as good.

I was also thinking that I could ask one of my room mates for help. He's a student of media design and he sure can help me out with some advice for layout and so on.

I agree. It'd be helpful if an English-speaking fan can review the final outcome and correct any possible mistakes. English is my second language too and I always doubt my grammar...  :unsure:


BTW, I was wondering how many stories will be enough for the scrapbook? In other words how many fans should take part in order to assemble an acceptable book? I think so far we're 6-7 people.

#14 Janini

Janini

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hm yeah, I don't know. But if we're restricted to 100-200 words then 6 stories would make a pretty short scrapbook ^^ Would make it more likely that if they actually read it that they'd read your story. But still. I don't know. As long as it's more than 1 I think it's worth handing it over. And the more the better anyway.

#15 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:13 AM

View PostJanini, on 02 September 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

Hm yeah, I don't know. But if we're restricted to 100-200 words then 6 stories would make a pretty short scrapbook ^^ Would make it more likely that if they actually read it that they'd read your story. But still. I don't know. As long as it's more than 1 I think it's worth handing it over. And the more the better anyway.

Maybe 10-15 people will be adequate

#16 Janini

Janini

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

Yeah, I agree, it's not too much to make it too large a thing to read but still something. I'd still wouldn't want to turn people down if there happen to be more people interested than 15. What do you think?

#17 Alexis M.

Alexis M.

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Count me in, guys. It'll be really inspirational, not only for the band but for those who read it too. My story isn't that great but I'd love to write about it.

#18 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

View PostJanini, on 02 September 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

Yeah, I agree, it's not too much to make it too large a thing to read but still something. I'd still wouldn't want to turn people down if there happen to be more people interested than 15. What do you think?

Sure! I appreciate everyone's participation cuz the more people take part the more official the scrapbook becomes and it'll cover a great variety of fans. Though I don't really think that a lot of people here come together for this because a huge number of fans visiting this forum are old schools and they don't seem interested at all and that was predictable.

I guess we just have to wait and see. :)

View PostAlexis M., on 02 September 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

Count me in, guys. It'll be really inspirational, not only for the band but for those who read it too. My story isn't that great but I'd love to write about it.

Totally agree! The stories may not all be super exciting, mine for example is so so, but having them written down as a collection of events these fans have experienced and how Mars gathered all of us together and helped each and everyone of us makes this scrapbook special.

I sincerely believe that the band likes to know how people got to know them or fell in love with them. There's been efforts in this forum in different topics in order to express these stories but this hard copy can be what they're looking for... :)

#19 Janini

Janini

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Great. So has anyone sent anything to you so far? Do you want to gather everything or should we both accept emails? I think we should start giving people an address to send their stories to, to see how many will participate. Maybe some people won't post here but would be willing to send their story anyway :)

#20 Fatima F

Fatima F

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

I haven't written an email address yet, I wanted to wait and see how many people show interest in this. But I think now it's time. :)
I'll add my email to the first post. I'll be glad to write yours down as well if you don't mind helping. :)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users