• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

I hope it's OK for me to write this here. I just want to thank the band so much, and I didn't find any other way to do so. If anyone can advise me with a better idea or a better way, I would be grateful.

A bit after I joined the military (which was about a year and a half ago) I started to suffer from some kind of an unknown savvier pain in both my legs. For the first nine months it prevented me from walking and standing for longer than 5 min.
I was sent home on a sick leave from the army and for the past year and a half was hospitalized four times. I went through many medical exams without any solution to my condition. The military decided to let me go (which I wasn't glad since I intended to serve my country) but I couldn't blame them since in my condition I wasn't very useful.

The reason I'm writing all of this is because for a major portion of the time I was home, not able to stand or walk, I spent listening to Thirty Seconds To Mars music and watching the short films. Doing so I felt better, as if the music was taking me out of my treacherous body into a better place. As if I was on a journey, in a different world, where things that really mattered and honest and true took place.
I really connected to the song's lyrics, to the issues I felt they addressed and to what they expressed.
The music itself has so many layers and is so full and rich of details I would visualize it and be distracted from my pain.
I spend so many hours in front of my computer screen, watching the short films again and again, freezing the frames and trying to analyze every amazing little detail (and of course, enjoying the secret messages). Being an aspiring filmmaker, I try to learn as much as I can from them (the frame compositions, camera angels and movements, lighting, editing and practically everything). I really appreciate B. Cubbins outstandingly epic masterpieces. It will be a dream come true to see him at work, to learn from The Master himself.

In August, four months after the pain began, I discovered they were coming to my country on the 18th, exactly a year ago. Being new to the whole "handicapped" thing, I wasn't sure I could actually go to the concert. All of my family helped make my dream come true and the day came and I was there. That night was one of the most amazing, unbelievable nights of my entire life. I didn't care I was in a wheelchair. I didn't care I couldn't walk and that no one knew how to cure me. I was so unbelievably happy; it felt like there was no room in my body for pain. I was totally absorbed in the music, in the now, in everything that really mattered, that everything else disappeared, including my pain. For the first time in four months I didn't hurt.

I held on to that feeling for the next nine months. During that time I was hospitalized in a rehabilitation hospital for a month. After that, I was better. Still suffering from unstopping excruciating pain, but now I could stand, walk, run and jump, as if all was well (accept I felt pain all the while and cried from my sleep).
Since I was able to walk now, and since the only time I felt no pain at all was during their concert, and since I couldn't stop thinking and reliving it in my head all the time, I decided to fly 11 hours to Toronto and go see them again on May 5th.

That night was just unbelievable. During the concert my legs didn't hurt at all. I stood for other 4.5 hours (something I didn't do for over a year), danced, jumped (and was jumped on) and my legs didn't hurt at all! It was so amazing, incredible, crazy and insane, beautifully chaotic, full of mayhem and freedom, honesty and magic. I found myself so close to the stage and right were Jared crowed surfed. After the concert I was so full of energy I felt I could run all of Toronto infinity times. As if there is nothing I couldn't do. And that feeling, considering how helpless I felt all year long, meant a lot to me. That night as well as the night of the first concert I went to, was one of the best of my whole entire life and I will never ever forget them.
The next days after the concert were great as well. I could do so much more with a significant amount of less pain. I felt so blissful, being able to do things without it taking so much energy to overcome the pain.

I want to say "thank you" so much to the band. For creating their music and the short films and delivering those concerts that mean so much to me. I truly believe that their work helped me not to slip into depression. They enriched my world, inspired me and gave me something to look forward to. They helped me escape from pain and took me into other places where I was filled with other emotions and thoughts. I am so grateful I could take part in those concerts and would never forget them. I can't put into words how much it all means to me, but I had to try.  

I'm sorry if what I wrote was too long or with many mistakes (English is my 2nd language).
If anyone has the slightest idea how I could express my most honest gratitude to the band members or a way to contact anyone who is associated with them, please please replay or email me to maayan_rosen@yahoo.com  
I know there isn't a lot of chance that someone from the band will ever read this and see how much what they do mean to me, but I thought I'd better try. A very wise man once said: "If you're willing to walk the path of a dreamer, anything is possible" and I believe that is true.    

Thank you,
Maayan

#2 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

To be honest, that is a lot to read but I did skim and I just wanted to say that... You are beautiful!

#3 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Perhaps someone with a Golden ticket would print this off and hand it to them during the meet and greet, as a favour to you.

#4 Fatima F

Fatima F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:49 AM

It's so nice to hear your story. I'm so glad that you got to know this band and that you healed with the power of their songs.
I understand every single word you said cuz I've had my own experience. Things changed for me when I was so down, hollow and hopeless, a turning point in life that made me believe in them so deeply that I traveled with all the difficulties ahead of me to see them perform in another country. It only took me a week to reach the point where I found them the best thing ever happened in my life. And I believe that's what makes them special. We've all had our favorite bands/singers before them but none was able to help us through our problems.
I love this band, and I'm glad that it's not because of a specific member, but for their music and their performance as a group.

I hope this feeling stays with you forever, being a Mars fan is an honor.
I wish you the best of luck.

#5 dvlshangel

dvlshangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

View Postmaayanrosen, on 18 August 2011 - 03:23 PM, said:

I was so unbelievably happy; it felt like there was no room in my body for pain. I was totally absorbed in the music, in the now, in everything that really mattered, that everything else disappeared, including my pain.  

Thank you,
Maayan

Your post was very moving, I quoted and bolded the portion that moved me the most. I am sorry for the pain you have suffered and I hope that you continue to improve.

P.S. The quote you posted made me think of one from Awakenings
"The power of music to integrate and cure. . . is quite fundamental. It is the profoundest nonchemical medication." - Oliver Sacks

#6 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

View Postpale_existence, on 18 August 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

To be honest, that is a lot to read but I did skim and I just wanted to say that... You are beautiful!

Yeah, I know it's a lot, sorry about that. I just felt like I had to spill it all out, and that maybe, just maybe, someone will have a way to help me.
Anyway, thank you! You are beautiful as well!

#7 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:55 AM

View PostMistressred, on 18 August 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

Perhaps someone with a Golden ticket would print this off and hand it to them during the meet and greet, as a favour to you.
That's a great idea! If you happen to know someone... please let him know of this post... I will be so grateful.
And thank you so much for reading and for the advice!

#8 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

View PostFatima F, on 19 August 2011 - 03:49 AM, said:

It's so nice to hear your story. I'm so glad that you got to know this band and that you healed with the power of their songs.
I understand every single word you said cuz I've had my own experience. Things changed for me when I was so down, hollow and hopeless, a turning point in life that made me believe in them so deeply that I traveled with all the difficulties ahead of me to see them perform in another country. It only took me a week to reach the point where I found them the best thing ever happened in my life. And I believe that's what makes them special. We've all had our favorite bands/singers before them but none was able to help us through our problems.
I love this band, and I'm glad that it's not because of a specific member, but for their music and their performance as a group.

I hope this feeling stays with you forever, being a Mars fan is an honor.
I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for reading and for your sincere replay.
I'm sorry that you had times when things where tough and down. Fortunately, we have this amazing band that creates this amazing music that helps us get through.
I agree 100% with what you wrote, about loving the band for the music they make.
I'm sure this feeling will stay with me forever. I just wish there could be some way I could let the band know how much what they do means to me, how full of gratitude I am.
Thank you, and best of luck for you as well.

#9 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

View Postdvlshangel, on 19 August 2011 - 04:50 AM, said:

Your post was very moving, I quoted and bolded the portion that moved me the most. I am sorry for the pain you have suffered and I hope that you continue to improve.

P.S. The quote you posted made me think of one from Awakenings
"The power of music to integrate and cure. . . is quite fundamental. It is the profoundest nonchemical medication." - Oliver Sacks

Thank you. I try to focus on the bright side of things, like how I was so fortunate to go to the concerts, two of the best nights of my entire life.
The power of true music is amazing, isn't it?
Thank you and best of luck!

#10 Fatima F

Fatima F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

I once thought of us writing our stories, each in about 100-200 words so that it doesn't get boring, make a notebook out of it and give it to the band in a show. But I don't know if others approve with this...

#11 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostFatima F, on 28 August 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

I once thought of us writing our stories, each in about 100-200 words so that it doesn't get boring, make a notebook out of it and give it to the band in a show. But I don't know if others approve with this...
It seems like a great idea.
I don't see why anyone would disapprove. No one will have to submit their story...
It will be optional and a great way to let the band know how grateful we are.
My opinion is: go for it, and count me in, please.
I really do think you should suggest this.

#12 Fatima F

Fatima F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

View Postmaayanrosen, on 29 August 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

It seems like a great idea.
I don't see why anyone would disapprove. No one will have to submit their story...
It will be optional and a great way to let the band know how grateful we are.
My opinion is: go for it, and count me in, please.
I really do think you should suggest this.

There's a thread in Pantheon section of this forum called: How did you fall in love with 30STM? I suggested this but there was only one reply which was against this idea. I see if I can make a new thread there with more people to participate.
Thanks for the support ;)

#13 sazzleshakes

sazzleshakes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

Hi Im a brand NEW member but have been a massive fan of mars since '07. This is my first post here and Im SO EXCITED!!! An ex of mine introduced me to their music and I fell in love with it instantly. The power it creates is phanomenal,for me personally it reminds me that Im not alone in this worls even at my lowest moments. Even though I have not met man fans in person I feel as though i already know them and thier stories though hearing the songs.

I have been throught a lot and lost a lot of people for someone my age including my gran a year ago and i can honestly say that without the music I wouldn't be here. Its helped me cope and to heal emotionally. This is war especially.

i heard Alibi on the radio and just burst in to tears the words were so close to how I feel. it was incredible!!

#14 PROOF

PROOF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

View PostFatima F, on 30 August 2011 - 11:29 AM, said:

There's a thread in Pantheon section of this forum called: How did you fall in love with 30STM? I suggested this but there was only one reply which was against this idea. I see if I can make a new thread there with more people to participate.
Thanks for the support ;)
Hey there sunshine... let me know if it happens... I'd love to take part <3

#15 Fatima F

Fatima F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

View PostPROOF, on 06 September 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

Hey there sunshine... let me know if it happens... I'd love to take part <3

Hi! It's happening right now. Go to Pantheon, see the topic "An idea for a Scrapbook"
We lack members, come on and join! :)

#16 tojupiter.

tojupiter.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm doing this!  I think they would love it and it will be so nice for everyone to share their stories :)

#17 maayanrosen

maayanrosen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

View Postsazzleshakes, on 05 September 2011 - 04:08 AM, said:

Hi Im a brand NEW member but have been a massive fan of mars since '07. This is my first post here and Im SO EXCITED!!! An ex of mine introduced me to their music and I fell in love with it instantly. The power it creates is phanomenal,for me personally it reminds me that Im not alone in this worls even at my lowest moments. Even though I have not met man fans in person I feel as though i already know them and thier stories though hearing the songs.

I have been throught a lot and lost a lot of people for someone my age including my gran a year ago and i can honestly say that without the music I wouldn't be here. Its helped me cope and to heal emotionally. This is war especially.

i heard Alibi on the radio and just burst in to tears the words were so close to how I feel. it was incredible!!

First of all: Welcome! I'm also very new here myself.
I agree with you completely. The power their music creates is just unbelievable. It's something that is hard to grasp and is extremely unique. I can't put into words how much what they do effects and mean to me.
Know that you're not alone - we're all here for you, to listen and understand, and will help as we can.
I'm so sorry that you lost people. I can't imagine how hard that is. Especially when your young.
Good thing we have their music to help us through and give us hope.
Their music is indeed incredible, and so much more.

Welcome and take care!

#18 Echelon_Warrior30

Echelon_Warrior30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

The power of music is far and beyond incredible.I myself have been very much inspired and empowered and have been writing and playing guitar and keyboard for awhile now.Mars has also been a life saver for me on several occasions.All the times I have helplessly fallen on my knees and when I felt like I had no purpose or a reason to live Mars have always helped me to pick myself up and move forward.Too young and have been through too much to give in now. =]

#19 sazzleshakes

sazzleshakes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

View PostEchelon_Warrior30, on 06 November 2011 - 10:34 PM, said:

The power of music is far and beyond incredible.I myself have been very much inspired and empowered and have been writing and playing guitar and keyboard for awhile now.Mars has also been a life saver for me on several occasions.All the times I have helplessly fallen on my knees and when I felt like I had no purpose or a reason to live Mars have always helped me to pick myself up and move forward.Too young and have been through too much to give in now. =]

absoluetely!! ive had the hardest year of my life and wasnt expecting any of it. at first i struggled, totally closing off from everything, i just listened to music, knowing my family would be there when i came out of it. its been just over a year now and im in a totally different place emotionally, i now feel so strong i think i could cope with anything im given :D

#20 sazzleshakes

sazzleshakes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

ok, proof if ever anyone needed it...

monday night i was very very poorly, wasn't sure why but i may have caught a bug that's been goin round. the next day i felt extremely ill, almost like a flu type illness. i am prone to picking bugs up and usually wen this happens it takes me 2 or three days to recover.
however last night i listened to mars entire album catalogue, went for a nice hot bath, watched my favourite tv programme and went to bed early (very unlike me) and TADAH!!!! today i feel so much better its incredible!!! i took no medication and havent eaten anything for over 24 hours but i feel amazing...   :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users