• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cyber Net007

Cyber Net007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

Well, I have been a 30 Seconds To Mars fan for some time and joined the Echelon a while back. Their music is a powerful force in my life, with the meanings left to each person to fit into their own lives. However, the symbology in some of their art and videos can be confusing for some. The latest symbol that many people have been wondering about, that I have not found a clear explanation on, is The Triad.

This symbol is a triangle with a single horizontal through the middle. Now, what follows is my own opinions and is in no way an official explanation of this symbol.

The triangle is one of the strongest of all the geometric forms. Force is distributed evenly across all sides when pressure is applied. This is very much like the band. No matter how many problems the band has faced, they have only gotten stronger. Some have said that the three sides of the triangle represent the members of the band. I think this fits well. But then, what about the middle line? Well, I think that this represents The Echelon. While it is not needed, it does provide additional support and strength, making the triangle, that much stronger. That is what we of the Echelon do, we support the band and provide our strength to them, making them stronger.

I know that this may seem kind of random and weird, but this is something I've been thinking of for a bit. I may edit this post as more thoughts arise, but for now this is what's in my head. Feel free to comment. Take care all.

#2 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

Cyber Net007, on 05 August 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Well, I have been a 30 Seconds To Mars fan for some time and joined the Echelon a while back. Their music is a powerful force in my life, with the meanings left to each person to fit into their own lives. However, the symbology in some of their art and videos can be confusing for some. The latest symbol that many people have been wondering about, that I have not found a clear explanation on, is The Triad.
This symbol is a triangle with a single horizontal through the middle. Now, what follows is my own opinions and is in no way an official explanation of this symbol.

The triangle is one of the strongest of all the geometric forms. Force is distributed evenly across all sides when pressure is applied. This is very much like the band. No matter how many problems the band has faced, they have only gotten stronger. Some have said that the three sides of the triangle represent the members of the band. I think this fits well. But then, what about the middle line? Well, I think that this represents The Echelon. While it is not needed, it does provide additional support and strength, making the triangle, that much stronger. That is what we of the Echelon do, we support the band and provide our strength to them, making them stronger.

I know that this may seem kind of random and weird, but this is something I've been thinking of for a bit. I may edit this post as more thoughts arise, but for now this is what's in my head. Feel free to comment. Take care all.

The band answered the question regarding the triad in Purgatory back in 2009.

THIRTYSECONDSTOMARS, on 10 September 2009 - 04:23 PM, said:

story behind/explanation of the http://thisiswar.us/ logo, any relation to Plato's AIR symbol?

YES. The symbol for air also represents for me matters of the spirit. Faith is an important theme explored in this album.

#3 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Don't edit I think this is wonderful. If i may give my personal opinion... I think the symbol means air as in to BREATHE.

To dabble a little...The mind: The line, to me, represents the line that we must draw for ourselves in order to gain our own personal inner strength and calling that will allow us to Start reaching our higher potential and connection to all. Or at least where we are "flying free with the birds" (within moral and legal boundaries, mind you). The bottom is what will always be a part of you and you will more than likely store more there in the future, but it is what would hold you back. Imagine the bottom is filled with so much more garbage and clutter than the more spacious area could even imagine holding. Or could, if you allow it to. What holds us back shouldn't be our driving force and it should not be where most of our daily lives roam(unless it is turned into a positive energy that builds up so much ya shoot to the top!) Rage and anger should perish. Empathy reallllly is key.

The eye, within the open and airy part of our lives and within our minds... the third eye, which is really just a part of the brain. Connect with god.

#4 fusion

fusion

ǝsdʎlɐɔodɐ ǝıqɯoz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

It's a triangle. /end

#5 Rosie_Real

Rosie_Real

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

op: random and weird is okay. and welcome (at least for me)

Symbols, music, setlists, whatever are all subjective. people find their own special meaning they put on these things. Whether it be geometric, God, breathing, or you know...just a dang triangle. It's ok. thank you for sharing what you thought about it.

#6 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Yep meanings are indeed subjective to each person's personal interpretation but that still doesn't deflect the meaning given to it by the person and/or company using it. While we might give it an own meaning, doesn't mean the original person has the same.

The triangle with a horizontal line through it is a symbol meaning air. The band has taken that symbol and given it their meaning, namely "matters of spirit" and they've given it their own name. The name "triad" isn't a name associated with Plato's Air symbol. That was added to it by the band. Oudside of the band the word Triad has various meanings, mainly "group of three". But eg. go to China and they'll tell you a different meaning of the word triad.  :lol:

Example of own interpretation. Take Volkswagen. The VW symbol is widely recognized. To the company it means, and will always mean VolksWagen. To me it could mean Vicious Wheels. Very personal, and it's my right to call it that if I want to. But that doesn't change the fact that to Volkswagen VW will always mean VolksWagen  ;)

So yeah, it's always ok to think about and give things personal meanings. We wouldn't be creative individuals if we didn't. But it doesn't mean that's the meaning given to it initially by the "creator" (which was the initial point made by OP where she stated she couldn't find the meaning of the Triad as given by the band, which they did hence my quote).

#7 Cyber Net007

Cyber Net007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

I thank most of you for your kind comments. This is very subjective, but they are just my thoughts. Oh, and VanillaMintFusion, I'm a boy, just to let you know. Hehe.

#8 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Own thoughts are always good *thumbs up*
Being a boy & on this forum even better  :lol:  ;) We need more guys here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users