7 replies to this topic

#1 PROOF

PROOF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

I live in a small town, with small minds alike. I remember when I was little and neighbors would get together for cookouts. All of us kids would hang out and play while the adults would talk about whatever the adults talked about back then. OK, maybe that wasn't how it was, but I liked seeing it in the movies and on tv. The majority of people in this town don't even know their neighbors name, and I want to change that. I want to bring back the sense of a community within this community. I was thinking of having a block party... a 'get to know your neighbor day' and I thought that this would be a great opportunity to also help out those that have been affected by the recent disasters, or to get knew playground equipment for a park that I am hoping to get reopened. Is there anyone else with ideas or maybe some inspiring stories of things that you have done during your 'mission'?

#2 EchleonFist ₪ lll o.

EchleonFist ₪ lll o.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

I've had a couple of ideas of doing certain things for others but I never tried because I don't know if I would be able to with my busy life, but hey some things are more important.

#3 PROOF

PROOF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

What were the ideas?

#4 EchleonFist ₪ lll o.

EchleonFist ₪ lll o.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

I wanted to create a website for teens all our the world, the site would have my poems and I'd talk about the negative influences in the youth like drugs, bullying, problems of an average teenager. I wanted to tell them that it's okay. What do you think?

#5 Rosie_Real

Rosie_Real

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

^^^good idea, echelonfist

#6 PROOF

PROOF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

that is an awesome idea. I had a thought about doing something like that. Kinda like a dear abbey type deal. I went through abusive relationships, drinking and drugs. Living in a small town didn't help. The stuff is everywhere. You have a great heart... this is obvious. Anywho, it is nice to talk to poeple that have been there and hearing their stories of triumph.

#7 gaelic_ponie

gaelic_ponie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Block parties are a cool idea to get together and get to know your neighbors.   It's a good first step, rather than just knocking on doors asking questions making your neighbors nervous of your intentions.

Getting your neighbors together for a cause is a bit tougher, block parties can help you learn more about them, what are their concerns for the neighborhood,

If you have 12 neighbors with 12 different concerns you need to prioritize and work together to check them off the list.  

And show them that all of their concerns can be worked on in a timely manner, so they don't feel,  "Well, they aren't working on what I want to so I am not participating."

Find out if they are already part of something that will help the neighborhood?  Ask to join in.

M'b you can join an already established organization near you, so you can get the experience for organizing something that concerns your neighborhood specifically.

Topic Ideas:

Children/Parks/Afterschool Care

Homelessness/Needy/ Food Banks

Streets/Graffiti/ trash clean up

Gangs/Crime/Neighborhood watch.

Plain Old Friendship/Community Connectedness i.e block parties

Good Luck and Thanks for Caring

#8 Teat

Teat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:58 AM

View PostEchleonFist ₪ lll o., on 13 July 2011 - 07:21 PM, said:

I wanted to create a website for teens all our the world, the site would have my poems and I'd talk about the negative influences in the youth like drugs, bullying, problems of an average teenager. I wanted to tell them that it's okay. What do you think?
Ah, support your ideas! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users