#41 JessL30

JessL30

Sawicki'd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,031 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

View Postfallenxmarsxgirl, on 02 May 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

That whole "they're tired/sick/overworked" excuse is getting pretty frigging old. Yes maybe they are ALL those things but THEY are the ones still touring. It's not fair for some people to get a shit show cuz they're not into it for w/e reason.

For example:
I was at the Indiana University show and they were on stage for an HOUR & played 10 songs. Really? An hour for headliners? Freaking joke.

I was also at the Camden show and they were on stage 1.5 hours and played 15 songs. Decent amount & a good show imo.

So why was there more effort in one show over the other? People at the second show got a good concert and people at the first probly left thinking the band forgot to play the rest of their set.

I love this band and I still have fun seeing them live or hell I wouldn't go but their set list leaves a LOT to be desired most shows. I have seen this band put on an epic live show (and yes I know how to use the word properly) but not any time in recent memory. Jared has an amazing voice, Tomo is nuts and Shannon is a beast. They all have the talent some of them just seem to forget to bring it to some shows. (I say some of them because Shannon has yet to disapoint. He's brought his shit everytime I've seen them)

I may get shit for this post but idc. Lately it seems though with these new "fans" that anyone who doesn't agree 100% with EVERYTHING the band does or says is a bad fan. Take that bad fan shit and go fuck yourself. I'm pretty positive I've done more for this band (promo/shows/travel ect) then most of you will ever think of doing. I'm not critisizing because I don't like them anymore I'm giving them my honest opinion (not that they'll read it) because I still DO care and I respect this band enough to be straight with them. I've been loyal to these guys longer than most of you have even known who Jared Leto was. Come talk to me when you've been around 5+ years and call me a "bad fan" if you last that long.
I agree with you completely.. even tho i was disappointed at the show last sept. Which caused me not to go to this show for the ticket price and place. cmon the agganis arena are you kidding me. that place is big and can hold well over 6000 people which according to that review they didnt even sell half that amount..

View PostSpectralTiger, on 03 May 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

Maybe they play longer sets at bigger shows?
This was a headlining show at a bigger venue than usual.. They should play longer sets.

#42 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'm on your side--CharmedGirl. I may not be echelon, and I still refer to them as 30STM, but I don't believe they deserve all the negativity.

Were your shows actually really into the music and the show? and HAHAHA cuz none of the shows I've been to had the hour long scoldings. =op

I remember my first show he stopped in the middle of the chorus of STORY..because nobody inside the Stone Pony knew the lyrics or maybe they were screaming when it wasn't called for. I sure as hell knew the chorus (if thats the only thing i knew. i dig that song)This is the story of my life and these are the lies i have created. He looked kind of pissed. Wouldn't you be, too? I mean..if you're playing or singing to a crowd that is just gazing up at you... and isn't like creaming at the right breaks or screaming at the right time..and not because he is telling you to but because it's at the point in the music to where if you were really feeling the music you'd be all "whhhooooooooooooooooo !" wtf are you supposed to do with that?!?!!?!?!? Assume that people must be there to stare at my pretty blue eyes so let me talk to yuh bebe?!?!!?  

I'll say that it's pretty sucky that he even has to direct everyone, now. a few months (or days) after the album came out...meh a little premature expecting everyone to know them all by heart.

like for instance..watch this

love love love  wow..see how everyone is like "uh duuuh???!"

But if you're not into it and If you don't actually like the music enough to just freak the eff out (especally near the stage)then why are you there? if you dont actually care then why the fuck do you ask?

About those eye contact stares...yes, he does.  

ps-I just read Kings and a different kind of Queen when I read past that setlist quickly. hah

#43 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

That is the first time I heard SIASL live,I have to check out more of those clips. This one it is hard to gage the crowds reaction, but think if he made this song like The Kill, and came out into the crowd, and sang the lyrics in their faces, they would all know the words, and it would take on a life of it's own. They should not have gave up on this song, it's totally worthy.

#44 parabola

parabola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

View PostQuietChaos, on 03 May 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

Not really surprised to find you, again, in a thread devoted to something negative..but you know, just because someone did enjoy themselves doesn't make them brainwashed, or drunken or what have you. I'd like to think I have a mind very much of my own, thank you very much. I just happened to have enjoyed myself on this particular night and found that the band didn't suck as bad as I figured they would. ( or actually make that Jared and then Tomo just lurking in the background..because Shannon always gives effort. Always. ) It did suck they didn't play S/T. It did suck that Jared tried an 'unplugged' version of NOTH..but there was so much else that made the show fun (his voice not being shit certainly helped ) that I got over it.. plus I loved seeing friends again, hanging out , etc..

Yes people have a right to complain.. and hell, I do my fair share. But people also have a right to say 'hey, it was a good show' and that doesn't make you a damn lemming Leto lover, either.

You have a lot of valid points. I agree with lots of what you say. I just feel like you sweep everyone who might have something positive to say under the same rug and that's really not right. I used to love this band. I want to love it again. Not sure that will happen, but I'm very happy that I enjoyed a show again.. it's been awhile since that happened.

If I had something positive to say about the band, I would, trust me.
And see, I further explained myself and no, I don't sweep everyone under the same rug.

View Postparabola, on 02 May 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Okay, I actually wasn't really having a go at people who enjoy a 30STM show no matter what (because of friends, drinks, drugs, singing along or whatever) - more power to them for making the best out of it.
I was referring to those who act as if it was totally out of line to criticize the band/Jared for simply not delivering a good show by music fans' standards.
And to those who apparently really don't understand why people who go there for a rock gig are disappointed or appalled at the Leto ego show.

#45 bm30stm

bm30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

this thread is really long but i just wana say that i agree with some of you that jared doesn't sing much of the songs. i was kinda disappointed when they played hurricane acoustic. it's just not the type of song that would sound good acoustic (my opinion) but to be in a crowd,hearing the band play live and seeing them in person. i guess that's enough for me. though i had expected a little bit more :) i just dnt understand why they keep on touring when it's obvious that jared cant sing properly in the show

#46 bebejo

bebejo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

View Postclydefrog, on 01 May 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

So I saw Mars tonight for the first time, in Boston and wanted to give my feedback of the show.  I was a huge fan of their first self titled album and was really looking forward to this show.  My girlfriend got me and her tickets for my birthday.

So anyways we arrived at 7ish and had floor tickets.  CB7 took the stage at 7:25 (5 minutes early!) and played for about 20 mins or so.  They were actually pretty good.  After about a 15 take-down-and-setup period, Anberlin took the stage.  They also played for about 20 mins, maybe 4-5 songs, they were great.

Anberlin finished up at around 8:30ish so we figured Mars would come out around 9:15, maybe 9:30 the latest...Nope, everyone had to stand around for an hour and a half before Mars finally took the stage at 10pm.

I have been to well over 100 concerts and this was hands down, the worst one I have ever been to.

Jared only sang about 10% of each song.  60% of the song he counted on the crowd to sing and the other 30% he just decided not to sing at all.

The set-list, was laughable.  I think they played 7 songs total, maybe 8.  Kings and Queens was the encore, but we left before it even started.  They invited 15 or so 12 year olds up on stage to dance and played a minute of Metallica or so, so we decided to just leave.

They did not play one song from their first album, granted they had the shortest set-list ever, so I guess I can see why.  But, when they only have 3 albums and you know you are gonna have a lot of fans there who are big fans of your first album, you should at least throw one song in the rotation.  I like the other two albums, but was still very disappointed.

Thank god Anberlin was on the bill, because, in my opinion, they were the only ones that made tonight feel like a concert.  And hats off to CB7 for doing a fine job.

So I won't be going to another 30 Seconds to Mars concert, but Anberlin was nice to see.  I hope some people in Boston enjoyed the show.

Thanks for listening to my rant lol :)

Just Saw your review now. I was at the Montreal show last night, and i have to admit i agree with most of your points. I definitely had a good time and I did appreciate his interaction with the crowd, but the show itself was REALLY short compared to a lot of shows i've been to recently. He spent about 20 mins getting angry at the audience because they weren't singing "Search and Destroy" and no one was up on shoulders, etc. I do understand when he gets angry at silly little fangirls/boys who are there simply because he's good looking and they don't appreciate the music, but he wasted a lot of time on that one.

In terms of his singing, when he actually DID sing (which i would say was about 50% of the time) he is very good. Especially when he did Hurricane acoustically. But I was getting a bit annoyed at the fact that he expected more from the audience than we expected from him. The show had lots of entertainment value, but when you put acting aside to become a musician, show it off. Thanks for your honest review!!

#47 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

View Postbebejo, on 04 May 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

Just Saw your review now. I was at the Montreal show last night, and i have to admit i agree with most of your points. I definitely had a good time and I did appreciate his interaction with the crowd, but the show itself was REALLY short compared to a lot of shows i've been to recently. He spent about 20 mins getting angry at the audience because they weren't singing "Search and Destroy" and no one was up on shoulders, etc. I do understand when he gets angry at silly little fangirls/boys who are there simply because he's good looking and they don't appreciate the music, but he wasted a lot of time on that one. In terms of his singing, when he actually DID sing (which i would say was about 50% of the time) he is very good. Especially when he did Hurricane acoustically. But I was getting a bit annoyed at the fact that he expected more from the audience than we expected from him. The show had lots of entertainment value, but when you put acting aside to become a musician, show it off. Thanks for your honest review!!
Pretty sure he is not actually angry, he chooses to stop and have a "rant" during that particular song, at every show. He is just messing with people.

#48 clydefrog

clydefrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

View PostMistressred, on 04 May 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Pretty sure he is not actually angry, he chooses to stop and have a "rant" during that particular song, at every show. He is just messing with people.

It genuinely became annoying...very fast.  It got to the point at the Boston gig that he was calling out "specific" people in the stands.  He wanted every person to be standing and jumping, it got old really fast.  Especially when he would stop during many songs to pump up the crowd.

It's as if Jared feels people will not enjoy the show unless he has every single person in the crowd jumping and going freaking crazy.  WRONG.  We just want you to sing your heart out and ensure the music is good.  The crowd will take care of itself if you can do that.

People replying here are saying some shows are better than others, in terms of set-list, amount he sings, etc.  It's sad that it changes to drastically from venue to venue.

#49 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Postclydefrog, on 04 May 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

It genuinely became annoying...very fast.  It got to the point at the Boston gig that he was calling out "specific" people in the stands.  He wanted every person to be standing and jumping, it got old really fast.  Especially when he would stop during many songs to pump up the crowd.

It's as if Jared feels people will not enjoy the show unless he has every single person in the crowd jumping and going freaking crazy.  WRONG.  We just want you to sing your heart out and ensure the music is good.  The crowd will take care of itself if you can do that.

People replying here are saying some shows are better than others, in terms of set-list, amount he sings, etc.  It's sad that it changes to drastically from venue to venue.

True some of the shows in Europe seemed to have longer set lists, and even the odd S/T song, so yeah. Positive the whole stopping in the middle of S&D is part of the show now, not sure if it is just like a comedy routine, but if you check youtube, he does it all the time. Wish for your sake, we could point you to another show and say, ok, this one you will love, because it will be one of the better shows people talk about but...who knows these things? That is why some people go see them more than once. If they changed the set list a bit like they used to, that and the theme nights might get more people going to multiple shows once more.

#50 MaeDaeYaay

MaeDaeYaay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

I went to my first Mars show this past Saturday in Camden NJ.  I have been to a lot of shows were you get a full set of music from the New album, neglecting the classic stuff to those who really mix up the set.  I have to say, at Camden they did play a mix between "TIW" and "A Beautiful Lie" .  

I did feel at times that the crowd participation was a little more than I thought necessary...However they came back for a long encore, and did an acoustic set with Jared moving to the back of the venue so that those of us sitting in the back can get an up close and personal performance.  Overall I really enjoyed the show.  I have watched live performances on YouTube where there is less crowd vocals and some serious power coming from Jared.

I feel like I need to attend other shows before I make such a strong judgment all to rule out their shows.

#51 Mistressred

Mistressred

We'll Never Fade Away...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

View PostMaeDaeYaay, on 04 May 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

I went to my first Mars show this past Saturday in Camden NJ.  I have been to a lot of shows were you get a full set of music from the New album, neglecting the classic stuff to those who really mix up the set.  I have to say, at Camden they did play a mix between "TIW" and "A Beautiful Lie" .  

I did feel at times that the crowd participation was a little more than I thought necessary...However they came back for a long encore, and did an acoustic set with Jared moving to the back of the venue so that those of us sitting in the back can get an up close and personal performance.  Overall I really enjoyed the show.  I have watched live performances on YouTube where there is less crowd vocals and some serious power coming from Jared.

I feel like I need to attend other shows before I make such a strong judgment all to rule out their shows.
^ Is that a Pokemon ?

#52 fallenxmarsxgirl

fallenxmarsxgirl

DONT FEED THE PIGEONS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostSpectralTiger, on 03 May 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

Maybe they play longer sets at bigger shows?

For the shows I've been to they play longer/better at sold out shows which for the U.S. would mean smaller venues. I think a big problem with the shows this leg of the tour was that they were in big ass arenas. I looked up most of the places they were playing this round & they were al well over 5000, and they ended up being half empty. This isn't Europe or LA they just aren't going to sell that many tix in Fairfax VA or middle of nowhere PA.

I can understand the band getting annoyed when they come on stage and it's so empty but c'mon whoever books the shows is being ridiculous. They did a DC area show in September at a 1000 cap venue (which sold out and was a really good show) then 7 months later they do a 5000+ arena and wonder why ticket sales sucked....uh no.

#53 melinaki

melinaki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

View Postclydefrog, on 01 May 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

I have been to well over 100 concerts and this was hands down, the worst one I have ever been to.

Jared only sang about 10% of each song.  60% of the song he counted on the crowd to sing and the other 30% he just decided not to sing at all.

The set-list, was laughable.  I think they played 7 songs total, maybe 8.  Kings and Queens was the encore, but we left before it even started.  They invited 15 or so 12 year olds up on stage to dance and played a minute of Metallica or so, so we decided to just leave.

They did not play one song from their first album, granted they had the shortest set-list ever, so I guess I can see why.  But, when they only have 3 albums and you know you are gonna have a lot of fans there who are big fans of your first album, you should at least throw one song in the rotation.  I like the other two albums, but was still very disappointed.

Exactly the same experience yesterday 6/7/2011 in Greece

#54 elenh*

elenh*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

View Postmelinaki, on 06 July 2011 - 11:54 PM, said:

Exactly the same experience yesterday 6/7/2011 in Greece
i totally agree with you... when he started "singing" a beautiful lie and after that search and destroy i was like "dear God this is not happening to me and please make me believe that this isn't his real voice!" most of the time we were singing and not jared. Also, too much playback... but after the acoustic songs a started to believe that something changed but nooooo... very long pauses and too much drums and guitars solo!  anw that was their first time in greece and despite the fact that i left little bit disappointed i was also thankful for having the chance to be there  :)

#55 Jaredmaia

Jaredmaia

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

View Postbebejo, on 04 May 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

But I was getting a bit annoyed at the fact that he expected more from the audience than we expected from him.

Interesting comment. Food for thought, J.

#56 Carole in Carlisle

Carole in Carlisle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

My first concert was on Friday at the Zenith, Paris and I had a great time and would definitely go again to another one. However I do agree with some of the comments made here. The show lasted an hour and a half and I would have liked it to have been longer,with some music from their first album. A full quarter of an hour was the Hurricane video shown at the end with the band nowhere in sight.....we kept expecting them to come on and start performing it. This had the effect of making everything go a bit flat so that when they did K&Q it wasn't quite how I expected it to be. Then there wasn't an encore. Why???? Do they not do encores or was the Hurricane video supposed to be it?
Anyway Jared's voice was in good form and he did a nice acoustic set in the middle of the audience and he had the crowd eating out of his hand and jumping around like crazy. The atmosphere was fantasic thanks to the lovely French Echelon and the venue was just the right size...made it feel intimate and friendly. I would have no worries about going to a Mars gig on my own if I ever had to. The audience was a good mix of all ages and I definitely wasn't the oldest there(which I had been a bit worried about)
I love how Jared really gets the audience to participate and he had no trouble doing that on Friday....we were all in a party mood and enjoyed singing along to the fantastic music.
Overall I give it 9 marks out of 10.....only knocking one of because of the Hurricane video and no encore.  

LOVE THOSE MARS BOYS SO MUCH !!!!!!!

#57 GeorgieJF

GeorgieJF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

I have to say i kinda regret reading this post as im going to see them 3 times in NY in a few weeks and its put a bit of a dampener on it! @clydefrog thankyou for your review, it sounds like you had high expectations, and its a shame they didnt live up to them! I also love S/T and would be happy to hear more of them, however i was lucky enough that when i saw them last year in Sydney they played Capricorn and Buddha for mary! i think the crowd chanting it all night finally made them decide to play them! Our set was unusually long, something like 16 or 18 songs! And from that show being my first mars show, i was completely blown away! Jared really has an amazing voice, its sad that it has deteriorated so much over the past year or so. I've seen a few videos of recent shows and its sad to see him letting the crowd sing alot! Ive recently watched videos from 07 and 08 and his voice was superb!!

Im also noticing that it seems the fan base has changed slightly....and im not generalising here. I know there are still fans of the music out there. But it seems that alot of people are there just for Jared, or have jumped on the TIW bandwagon. But again i was expecting alot of 14 year old fan girls in the crowds, and was surprised with there being alot of guys and people who were clearly there for the music. I've listened to Mars for over 5 years now and i love their music, especially their old stuff, and i loved every minute of both shows i've been to. Im not trying to defend them, but it makes me wonder if maybe the band can sense that the crowds are only there to stare at Jared, and arent into the music and thats why Jared goes crazy with hassling the crowd. But my first Mars US show will surely show me whether the crowds are different or not!  Considering that theyre the last shows of the tour hopefully they will put their all into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users