47 replies to this topic

#41 Nine

Nine

BORN VILLAIN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

Horrible news but I'm glad everyone from here is alright.

#42 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks Nine. While it was scary during we by far didn't realize how bad it was untill hours afterwards when we left. Glad that everybody I know is ok.

This is when the storm hit. Jo, myself and the belgian and other dutchies we knew were standing on the right side, just left of the screen on the far right near the front.

#43 SvtHoff

SvtHoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

^^ That video was shot from about where I was stood. I was able to press myself against the ground and half against a gate to avoid getting pelted too much, but my back is still bruised and my arms... But at least it's nothing serious. My heart goes out to the people that lost their lives yesterday...

I am still shell shocked, it is so surreal to see the videos and realize I lived through that. Bizarre is what it was. We had to be pushed out of the mud, but took a detour to avoid the heavy traffic and were home pretty fast. Safe and sound, if not shocked.

Belgian news reports the storm was about 60 meters wide and about 2 kilometers long, right over the festival site. 5 deaths so far, all Belgian, 10 majorly injured people and almost 100 minorly injured.

It was amazing to see the Hasselt community stepping up and helping everyone, really really really fabulous.

It was terrifying as shit 0_o

#44 catzewatze

catzewatze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Was so horrible to hear about this. My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have died.

#45 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

This just makes me realize how damn lucky we were. I've been in a strange mood today.
It's been an emotional roller coaster.

#46 TeachJoanne

TeachJoanne

I think I'm having a nervous breakdance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,941 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

Translation of an article on www.demorgen.be

Guilt

Typical how, even before the dead at Pukkelpop had been properly counted, there was a whole gaggle of aspiring research judges and prevention experts lining up to search for the causes of the disaster and even how it could have been prevented. Was it not the fault of the weather forecasters, who should have easily been able to predict this phenomenon?  Not really, because the fact that the thunder cloud developed its devastating power right over the festival could not have been foreseen.  Well, then maybe it was the lack of stability?  Well as long as tents and trees are not anchored down with concrete, and festivals are not organized in bunkers, probably not. In other places in Flanders the roofs were blown off of houses by much smaller bouts of wind power, but the tents in Kiewit should be immune to a super gust?  Our music journalists, who go to all the festivals, confirm that the constructions at Pukkelpop are among the most stable and sturdy of the entire festival season. Could the people get out then? Contrary to the situation in Duisberg, where festival goers were trapped like rats, all the exits were immediately opened and free. Were emergency services quick enough?  They were there within the minute. From countless internet messages from the walking wounded there is nothing but praise and admiration for the massive and efficient way that emergency services operated.  Was it not shameful that the festival wasnít cancelled immediately? No, because if they had done that, then the exodus of tens of thousands of people would have put the incoming emergency services smack in the middle of traffic hell and brought them to a stand still.

Did absolutely nothing go wrong, then?  Of course: the phone networks proved insufficient for the 60.000 people who wanted to let their families know they were okay at the same time. The communication on the festival grounds itself could have been better.  But itís an illusion to think that they could have been better prepared for this, or that they could have reacted better to a freak weather phenomenon that gave a minuteís notice and lasted no more than a quarter of an hour.

From our music journalists to the people getting cared for in the hospitals: all of the evidence shows we are asking the wrong question. The question isnít if it could have been avoided, but sooner how can it be that there werenít more fatalities? The answer to that is that everyone, from the organization to the emergency services, before and during the disaster did everything they possibly could.  But even that is not enough to stop the fateful vengence of nature.  The frustration at that should not result in a witch hunt on people who have nothing to be sorry for.

Yves Desmet
Politiek commentator

I agree with this article completely. I was there. The organization did everything they could and this, tragic as it was, could not have been prevented.

#47 silverchair_princess

silverchair_princess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

still difficult to deal with what happend when i see this back. Gives me goosebumps and chills across my back.
Though it's good to talk about it and realising how close you were to death, your own or others.
Pukkelpop will never be the same again...

#48 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Six months ago today. I still wear the wristband, it'll always own a little part of my soul. I'll never forget...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users