25 replies to this topic

#1 The Valiant

The Valiant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:34 AM

Just had an Idea. would it be possible to have a hive base in every capitol city round the world? or major city? where we can all come together and work on ideas,promos etc

#2 HildeMarie

HildeMarie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Thank you so much for taking time to make things even more clear, and your work is HIGHLY appreciated!

#3 Jenni6277

Jenni6277

also known as Gadina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thank you James for clearing things up, again.   wink.gif

#4 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 11 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must once again reiterate the importance of reading all previous threads before starting one like this. I understand that our answers may get lost in the flood of replies, so I'll address it here. again.
[...]

You are truly super-patient. People should really learn to read. How so many people can go without doing so on a message board is beyond me. wink.gif
Keep it up!

I think it might be a difficulty for some to grasp the concept of guerilla marketing outside of Mars, hence the confusing between the [echelon] and the hive.

#5 Elvira

Elvira

gone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 11 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must once again reiterate the importance of reading all previous threads before starting one like this. I understand that our answers may get lost in the flood of replies, so I'll address it here. again.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Although at some level, I can understand it'sconfusing because there are way too many names. Echelon, The Hive, Mars Army, Seraphim division, 468 other divisions, fangirls, oldschool, middleschool, Hopebuilder... It's like 30 seconds to schizophrenia  sad.gif

#6 Jenni6277

Jenni6277

also known as Gadina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Elvira @ Nov 11 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Although at some level, I can understand it'sconfusing because there are way too many names. Echelon, The Hive, Mars Army, Seraphim division, 468 other divisions, fangirls, oldschool, middleschool, Hopebuilder... It's like 30 seconds to schizophrenia  sad.gif

Holy fuck.  laugh.gif

#7 saerie

saerie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Elvira @ Nov 11 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha that made me laugh REALLY hard. I totally agree though. Lots of names and lots of divisions. Oh well more fun I guess smile.gif

#8 priya

priya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Elvira @ Nov 11 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahah!  laugh.gif

#9 dvlshangel

dvlshangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 11 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't sell you a hammer that doesn't have a handle.

Why does this all remind me of Maxwell's Silver Hammer?
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is my analogy for when something goes wrong out of the blue. Paul McCartney

QUOTE (Elvira @ Nov 11 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like 30 seconds to schizophrenia  sad.gif

"If it's good enough to take to your psychiatrist, it's good enough to make a song of."  again Paul McCartney

#10 lyric1981

lyric1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Elvira @ Nov 11 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*wisenheimer on* Shizophrenia has nothing to do with "Multiple Personalities"  wink.gif *wisenheimer off*

#11 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 11 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hive is an independent entity outside of Mars. We work with the Echelon, Mars, and the label. Ideally, we would have Hive locations everywhere, but we are still in our infancy, and we are building our model with the one in Los Angeles. It is far more complicated than receiving promotion material and hitting the streets. I don't think this concept has registered mentally with everyone just yet. The Hive is NOT the Echelon. We help create events and interactions for the Echelon as well as provide promotional material. It sounds like what you have in mind, and what a LOT of these suggestions sound like, are things that you can do without referring to yourself as The Hive. Granted, the goal of our Los Angeles base is to provide a workspace for Echelon to come and work with us, this is something the Hive exists to make more accessible. We encourage you to come together to discuss promotions, plan campaigns, etc. but in doing so, you are not The Hive.

That said, I am hearing about Hive locations popping up elsewhere around the world. I would like to say that at this moment, we appreciate your initiative and work, but unless sanctioned by Mars or us directly, you shouldn't refer to yourself as The Hive. There is nothing I'd like to make more clear about the Hive than the idea that we exist independently of the Echelon and of Mars. Echelon with promotional ideas do not "become" The Hive. In no way do I mean to discount the work you all have been doing, because it's work that we need, and your level of dedication is awesome. I just need to take a minute to clarify what exactly the Hive is. The Hive is a business--there is a process behind hiring employees who have professional experience doing what we do. I know that the idea of The Hive being a business may sound sterile and cold, but understand that profitability isn't our focus. You and Mars are our focus.

As for logging in to thisisthehive.net, it is not open to the public yet. We are finalizing functionality and other things. No one is missing out on anything by not having access to this website. We are creating a tool for you to use to help make organizing events and keeping in touch with Echelon easier. If I worked at a hardware store, I wouldn't sell you a hammer that doesn't have a handle.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, and I don't don't want anyone to take from this message that we're trying to keep you on the outside. The end of this all is that we want to get you all closer to each other and to Mars. From our end, we hear a lot of the same questions and suggestions, so I wanted to answer as much as I could at once. Having the Hive in LA has been a great experience so far, and the Echelon that have stopped by have been heart-warmingly generous with their time and resources. But they'll be the first ones to tell you that we're figuring things out here still and that we still haven't defined the entirety of our scope of work. Thanks for your patience, and I'm sorry to everyone who's asked questions that I haven't replied to. I'll try to keep up with the forums more, but we ARE busy here smile.gif

This was extremely well written which could be a part of the reason that you are "the Hive". Thank you.

I think that a good portion of people really need to stop trying to crawl so far up the bands asses. Complaining about not signing into another website when there even IS another potential website for you to possibly access in the future is bull. The band tries to cater to your needs...so much that you are a huge part of the new album. Maybe for their fourth album the Echelon will allow 30STM to make a guest appearance on a few tracks. damn. A lot of you complain about everything...

back when I got this much into ... anything, we had to walk to places like "the Hive" in 6ft of snow in our mother's dishwashing boots for 8 miles.

<3 but srsly.

#12 Adeena

Adeena

Releasing my inner sociopath...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (pale_existence @ Nov 18 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
back when I got this much into ... anything, we had to walk to places like "the Hive" in 6ft of snow in our mother's dishwashing boots for 8 miles.

<3 but srsly.

I thought it was 15 miles through the snow.....  damn, we got it hard here in Australia.

#13 The Valiant

The Valiant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 12 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hive is an independent entity outside of Mars. We work with the Echelon, Mars, and the label. Ideally, we would have Hive locations everywhere, but we are still in our infancy, and we are building our model with the one in Los Angeles. It is far more complicated than receiving promotion material and hitting the streets. I don't think this concept has registered mentally with everyone just yet. The Hive is NOT the Echelon. We help create events and interactions for the Echelon as well as provide promotional material. It sounds like what you have in mind, and what a LOT of these suggestions sound like, are things that you can do without referring to yourself as The Hive. Granted, the goal of our Los Angeles base is to provide a workspace for Echelon to come and work with us, this is something the Hive exists to make more accessible. We encourage you to come together to discuss promotions, plan campaigns, etc. but in doing so, you are not The Hive.

That said, I am hearing about Hive locations popping up elsewhere around the world. I would like to say that at this moment, we appreciate your initiative and work, but unless sanctioned by Mars or us directly, you shouldn't refer to yourself as The Hive. There is nothing I'd like to make more clear about the Hive than the idea that we exist independently of the Echelon and of Mars. Echelon with promotional ideas do not "become" The Hive. In no way do I mean to discount the work you all have been doing, because it's work that we need, and your level of dedication is awesome. I just need to take a minute to clarify what exactly the Hive is. The Hive is a business--there is a process behind hiring employees who have professional experience doing what we do. I know that the idea of The Hive being a business may sound sterile and cold, but understand that profitability isn't our focus. You and Mars are our focus.

As for logging in to thisisthehive.net, it is not open to the public yet. We are finalizing functionality and other things. No one is missing out on anything by not having access to this website. We are creating a tool for you to use to help make organizing events and keeping in touch with Echelon easier. If I worked at a hardware store, I wouldn't sell you a hammer that doesn't have a handle.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, and I don't don't want anyone to take from this message that we're trying to keep you on the outside. The end of this all is that we want to get you all closer to each other and to Mars. From our end, we hear a lot of the same questions and suggestions, so I wanted to answer as much as I could at once. Having the Hive in LA has been a great experience so far, and the Echelon that have stopped by have been heart-warmingly generous with their time and resources. But they'll be the first ones to tell you that we're figuring things out here still and that we still haven't defined the entirety of our scope of work. Thanks for your patience, and I'm sorry to everyone who's asked questions that I haven't replied to. I'll try to keep up with the forums more, but we ARE busy here smile.gif

Yeah Sorry James found it in the end, smile.gif looking forward to when that day comes smile.gif

#14 echelonprincess666

echelonprincess666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

jAMESThis Is Y You and brian and Everyone Else Who  works @ The Hive Rock And Work So Hard Thank You For Being A PArt Of Our Lives.....Keep It Up.

" Frenchie" tongue.gif

QUOTE (HiveJames @ Nov 11 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#15 smudgey

smudgey

I have a heart, it beats.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

Cheers for the post James, we do get annoyed here in the UK because we find it hard to get hold of promo gear, and most the time develop our own instead, but you've given us more of an understanding. Thanks smile.gif

#16 Eline

Eline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (mabo @ Nov 11 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are truly super-patient. People should really learn to read. How so many people can go without doing so on a message board is beyond me. wink.gif
Keep it up!

But there is tooo much too read! Seriously, when I first laid eyes on this message board it dazzled me. Nothing is clear. There are topics everywhere with important stuff in it, but if it contains 30 to 400 pages I am sure as hell not going to read that. I read all the stuff containing information about the Hive, but it was soo much and explained in so many messages, without one good clear one, pinned somewhere, that I still had no idea what the Hive was. Finally after reading this message I get the whole concept, but not everyone is going to read a topic titled 'An Idea' so many more people will be asking the same question. Maybe it would be smart to make one huge topic with ALL the information about the Hive in it. And not a few topics where you have to go through all the pages for all the answers.

And it's not only the Hive. I like this message board but an update and new clear information topics would be nice. You know, a few topics with all the rules and not for example one old rule topic and two pinned topics that were made by members and not mods and were pinned because they were good. It's confuuusing!

If people alk 'dumb' questions I do not blame them. This forum is so huge and messy - with the answers to one question in a lot of different topics on different pages - that using the search button is hell.

#17 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Eline @ Dec 2 2009, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[...]Finally after reading this message I get the whole concept, [...]

do you really? because I still fail to grasp the whole concept of the hive. when the idea was brought up first and even after reading the explanation james and bryan provided over the month, I still feel like we haven't nailed its core yet. a few issues that were addressed recently by fans, when robbie joined the team, haven't been answered either. I simply tried and still try to be opened minded about the hive and simply go-along-with-it for now. tho the hive has been introduced as an 'independent entity outside of 30stm', it still however appears to be exclusively connected to mars under the name 'the hive'. I have yet to see the same term used in regards to another band for instance. the vague involvement with youtellconcerts.com is somehow unclear as well. I will admit that I can not fully understand the difference between the echelon and the hive, from the way it is described it's 101% what the street teams in europe do (the usa might be a different story. the teams aren't as involved, advanced (any more) and structured. they seem to serve a more executive, than planing purpose.) the main difference to me seems to be that the fans who are or used to do promo for free are now supported/replaced/working under by the hive's employed + hired folks, who do street team/band-fan marketing stuff for a living (not trying to belittle their jobs in the slightest (!), but the street team used or still has lots of people among their ranks who are professionals in that area as well).

yes the forum is huge, but as much as it's a problem it's an advantage. you wont find another place online that is as stuffed with international mars related infos. the boards are an archive for mars and their fanbase and the interaction between both parties. the search function is most effective, if you know how to use it. that certain info topics from fellow members were pinned instead of them being made by the moderators directly is related to the earlier days of the boards, when moderation was kept to a minimum. further improvements could be made, but people like helios have been putting a lot of effort in making it work for now. I think we are on the right track.

getting back to the original point: I will stick to my post in so far, that I still believe people should read some more (not quantity, but quality-wise) and maybe ponder things a bit before posting. having club houses all over the world in every bigger city, seriously? let's be reasonable, who will effort the rent for these 100.000-something houses and what would they be needed for, when taking into consideration that mars promotion follows a much different structure in certain parts of the world e.g. europe, where the team leaders are channelling the fan/guerilla marketing mostly in collaboration with the label or on their own? the street team is not a fan club, so what would we be doing there? meeting up to brainstorm, make promotion plans? well we are already doing that: by phone, by meeting at a club, bar, café or restaurant, by one of us at home, in chat rooms etc. having a physical place to meet would be nice and one could store some materials there for instance, but I wonder if it's really necessary and if the advantages would justify the costs. furthermore I think it rather strongly sends out the message of a fanclub meeting place. even tho the echelon gathers a very strong sense of community around itself and fans (the mars army) who do not promote, it still is in it's essence and purpose a street team - mars's innovative, passionate and executive fan-focused marketing team.

#18 Elvira

Elvira

gone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

It bothers me that no one from the Hive responded to what you just said Mabo. And what me and some others said in Robbie's thread. Didn't they see it? Ddin't they think it was usefull feedback? Or do they just ignore us in the hopes that we will change our opinion?

I still don't get the Hive. Yes I've seen what they have posted and I see tweets passing by. But nothing is really groundbraking. I hope they will eventually respond to our questions.

#19 Morrigan

Morrigan

Evil Member of the Pantheon.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

I just spoke to Bryan and Robbie about some of your questions, and they've asked me to respond.

The band owns the Hive.  It's currently exclusive to promoting 30 Seconds to Mars for the very obvious reason that the album is about to drop and they're starting to tour.  Will that change?  It's possible, but not yet.  There are only 3 people who are actually employed by the Hive and while you guys don't see very much of what they do, they're working really hard.

The Hive is not just about street teaming or guerilla promo, although that is part of what they help to direct.  They work with the record label as well as outside it, which enables them to do things more the way the band wants (at least some of the time).

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'll try to get them answered.  The Hive folks are NOT meaning to ignore you - they simply have more than full plates at the moment.

#20 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:06 AM

Thank you Vicki for taking the time to address some of our question with Bryan and Robbie and for trying to help us all achieve a better understanding regarding THE HIVE. I and as Elvira mentioned a few others as well, simply feel like that if we had a better understanding of each other we could work much more effective with each other or separately alongside each other, whichever suited us best. Ultimately we share the same goal and I feel like a huge potential is going to waste, because of a miscommunication between band/hive/fans/label.

The band owns the Hive.  It's currently exclusive to promoting 30 Seconds to Mars for the very obvious reason that the album is about to drop and they're starting to tour.  Will that change?  It's possible, but not yet.  There are only 3 people who are actually employed by the Hive and while you guys don't see very much of what they do, they're working really hard.

ok, that does make it somewhat clearer. I was confused as to wears the three hive folks are simply working as more or less independent freelancers or if THE HIVE as a project was not a Mars related idea. There seemed to be a antagonism between what THE HIVE guys to tried explained and from the actions we got to witness, which clearly showed THE HIVE as a unite only supporting the band.

The Hive is not just about street teaming or guerilla promo, although that is part of what they help to direct.  They work with the record label as well as outside it, which enables them to do things more the way the band wants (at least some of the time).

hmm I will admit that even tho the fog cleared up a bit, it still hasn't vanished completely regarding this aspects. Specially with the, at times rocky working situation with their record label I understand and welcome the band's approach for a more controlled (by 30stm), less influenced and unbiased team among their ranks. However I can only repeat once more: that's what the teams over here do as well! We  - the [echelon] - work for the band and only with EMI if it supports our work for the band. We do not depend on the label, nor can they silence us should we disagree on a matter, because we aren't bind to them by a contract. If we think the band will benefit from our actions and ideas, we try our best to make it work.
It's not all about pr/marketing either: We offer ideas concerning how the band should be presented to and in the media here (e.g. back when Jared's acting was still a problematic subject in regards to the band's image), we maintain their national official websites/boards/forums + social networks, ponder how we can create ways for fans to interact and connect on a deeper level with the world of mars, we are involved with the planning of concerts and events (such as the national summits), provide advise and feedback on single-choices, (re)releases and campaigns the label or booker sets up and much more. When you break it down tho, than we mainly approach EMI in regards to financial support in order to bring our efforts, as stayed above, to a more professional level. The band has now reached a level of success and fame that exposes them to a wider audience and we simply do not have the means to pay for it from our own pockets. Maybe it's because I haven't seen for myself what THE HIVE does in LA, that makes it hard for me to imagine where they could possibly fit in here.

Taking all this into consideration I hope it might be a bit more understandable why a few of us can't see were THE HIVE will bring in something new and not divide us further from our efforts to find efficient ways to support the band in everything they do. I think that at times the band has simply failed to reach out to their teams outside the US! Now that came out like an accusation, which I do not intend it to be; at all. But I simply observed through out the years for example that we have less and less time to prepare, brainstorm, and set up organisation behind the scenes, because the band doesn't try to provide any info in advance or talk to their teams. Nowadays we are more in the know, if we keep a constant eye on twitter. Sure, if you let more people in on plans that are still to be carried out, it puts you in danger of having a leak every now and then. However it would surely be worth it, if it meant that the teams all over the world would have a chance to prepare, instead of just reacting and trying to hastily catch up. I mean at times, the band & co do not even take into consideration that there is a time difference between certain countries; we don't all always work on weekends and in the middle of the night. We have been asked numerous times through the years to sent our contact info in and never ever has the band or someone they appoint with the job tried to contact us with more than a sporadic mail. Even if it would only have been temporary during the preparations of a tour, e.g. in the UK or elsewhere it would have been a tremendous help to have a more direct way to communicate.

I am aware that the situation is very different in the US and Canada compared to Eruope. THE HIVE will probably much easier fit in and find it's field there than here.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'll try to get them answered.  The Hive folks are NOT meaning to ignore you - they simply have more than full plates at the moment.

Of course I know that. smile.gif Most of their work is probably not noticeable to fans our outsiders, which actually means that it's so good that most things run smoothly. Maybe a short statement that the questions are not being ignored, but with the release on the horizon next week they have to put this discussion on hold, would have been helpful. However most of us figured that out on our own. Glad that some tension is being pulled out of the discussion now, with an attempted to reach out to us.

Thank you. I have to give this some more thought. Should I have something of a more concrete question I will make sure to take you up on the offer. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users