33 replies to this topic

#21 XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

XX BR3AK M3 D0WN

You don't see things as they are, you see them as you are

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

I believe we Have People Helping People here in Boston and Meals on Wheels.
I can ask around and maybe contact someone as soon as There is a tour date set for the area.
I'm sure these organizations will love that smile.gif

#22 ChristineZ

ChristineZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Elvira @ Sep 25 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think donating to food banks really fits with the 'brand' 30STM. Even though it is a great cause, it doesn't add value to the band.

A charity about environmental issues or animals would make more sense and would fit better with the message of the band (although that message could be more of an ABL thing).

Why does everything have to be in the name of the band, or have to reflect on them especially when it comes to charity???
It's always been the trend, waiting for someone else to start the wheels rolling.  
One of the messages of 30stm, imo, is to lend a hand to those less fortunate if you're more fortunate than those who need the help.  
I don't think the guys would have spent hours of their free time helping to build houses if they had no interest in helping those who are in need.  And they sure didn't wait for the Echelon or the Label to tell them to do it.
Everyone (including myself) also got into the envirnment thing and got crazy about when we were challenged by the band to clean up our own corners of the earth
(Echelon Clean up Day).  
I mean let's face it.  Everyone got involved with the HFH after the guys went on a HFH site.  I donated when I could as well but I've also done it on my own before that.
Instead of following, try being the leaders for once.  Don't wait for 30STM to do something.  
Start your own paths and I'm sure many will follow.  You don't need the validation of 30stm or any other band to make yourselves feel good about what you're doing.
That's the beauty of having such strong convictions.  Feel good because you did something good from your hearts and not because the band patted you all on the heads and said good boy or good girl.
Donate because it's in your hearts to do so.  Don't just do it because the band says it's ok.  You don't need their permission to help others and I'm sure they will agree.
And don't just do it cuz other bands do it.  Whether I gave or not wouldn't matter either way cuz I contribute to my own community all the time.
Giving to others shouldn't be about making more album sales. It should have nothing to do with that.  
And for Christ sake please don't wait for a Label to tell you it's ok.   They only worry about the revenue, not the cause.   dry.gif
Also, why not just do it in each city not just when the band performs, but always?  You don't need a band's name to make it successful.
Just do it for the good of humanity and not just in the name of a band.
It's a wonderful idea and a beautiful gensture, yes.  But One doesn't have to wait to attend a concert to do so.  
People are hungry today, not only when the band comes to town.   sleep.gif  
I can already see the competition happening to see what city collected the most food/clothing/ect... Definitely the wrong message.  

My apologies if this bothers anyone.  I hate when everyone has to follow 30stm or the leader.  You don't need someone to take you by the hand and tell you it's ok.
Be the Kings and Queens of your own little corners of the earth and don't wait for 30stm to give you the ok to start an invasion.  Invade on your own.
I'm sure they're not waiting for you.
Just do it.   wink.gif

Edited~

#23 Lily_17

Lily_17

Lilybelle Lufflecakes...is ridiculously Canadian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

I'm sure lots of people donate and do charity work that's not 'band-related' - there was a spot where people could post links of charities that they supported, and everyone had tons.  They may talk about them on these boards, or they may not.

But this idea specifically is for charity work at a SHOW.  Which is, like it or not, the band's avenue.  So as a fan of said band, it does make sense to make sure that it fits with the brand/image/whatever that the band projects.  People can donate to whatever charities they want, do whatever fundraising they want.  But it makes sense both from a band-perspective and from a fundraising perspective to try and get people engaged in something that is directly relatable.  The same way any other fundraising would be done.

Also, you have to get permissions to do charity fundraising at shows, since the space is rented out.  

I agree with you that competitions and stuff like that about who can do the most and 'omg maybe jared will notice me for donating $5 to charity!' gets a bit ridiculous.  But I do believe that the majority of people help because it's a good thing to do.

#24 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (ChristineZ @ Mar 10 2010, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone (including myself) also got into the envirnment thing and got crazy about when we were challenged by the band to clean up our own corners of the earth
(Echelon Clean up Day).

You and I are remembering the Fall of 2006 quite a bit differently. The band didnt challenge us to do shit. All they said was they were going to go green for the MTV $2 Bill/Welcome To The Universe Tour. Mizzy built on the idea that the band liked the thought of a cleaner environment and proposed the "Echelon Clean Up Day" on her own. A mission to do a trash pickup day/month [Oct 1st/Oct] wherever we lived and tie in 30STM promo while doing it. It was Mizzy's idea, not the band's. I seem to remember they were quite shocked and happy when she gave them the book she made of our mission. They had NO idea about it prior to that unless they were sneaking peeks on the board.

And as I said back then, I was game cause I pick up random trash anyway, just to be tidy and helpful, and have been recycling for years. Way before there was even a band from Mars. If YOU got into the environmental thing and "got crazy" back then cause of Mizzy's mission, well good for you. I think the majority of us were were just doing what we do anyway but on a bigger scale, with a 30STM twist. The band certainly did not challenge us at that point to clean up our own corners of the earth... Mizzy did. I still remember that mission fondly. Did Random Dude ever find Cecilia? :>

Just wanted to clarify. Carry on people. smile.gif

#25 ChristineZ

ChristineZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (CandyO @ Mar 11 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You and I are remembering the Fall of 2006 quite a bit differently. The band didnt challenge us to do shit. All they said was they were going to go green for the MTV $2 Bill/Welcome To The Universe Tour. Mizzy built on the idea that the band liked the thought of a cleaner environment and proposed the "Echelon Clean Up Day" on her own. A mission to do a trash pickup day/month [Oct 1st/Oct] wherever we lived and tie in 30STM promo while doing it. It was Mizzy's idea, not the band's. I seem to remember they were quite shocked and happy when she gave them the book she made of our mission. They had NO idea about it prior to that unless they were sneaking peeks on the board.

And as I said back then, I was game cause I pick up random trash anyway, just to be tidy and helpful, and have been recycling for years. Way before there was even a band from Mars. If YOU got into the environmental thing and "got crazy" back then cause of Mizzy's mission, well good for you. I think the majority of us were were just doing what we do anyway but on a bigger scale, with a 30STM twist. The band certainly did not challenge us at that point to clean up our own corners of the earth... Mizzy did. I still remember that mission fondly. Did Random Dude ever find Cecilia? :>

Just wanted to clarify. Carry on people. smile.gif

First off, Candy, you can cool off.  dry.gif
I wasn't taking any credit away from Mizzy and yes the band did mention how great it would be if everyone went out and did some cleaning.  
I love Mizzy and would never undermind any of her efforts or anyone elses.

Second, I also always clean up in my area so Mizzy's Echelon Clean Up Day was not something that was new to me either.  I don't have have to get crazy about anything that I do on my own whether it be for myself, my family, my community, or the Echelon/Band.  
I respect Mizzy for what she pulled off and I was honored to be a part of it and she is fully aware of it.  I don't go crazy for the band least of all.  I do what I can and I join in when I can cuz it benefits my corner of the world, not 30stm.

Third, I specifically remember the band saying something on the lines of telling all Echelon to go out and clean up in our respective areas of residence.
And I saw the book.  Mizzy herself showed it to me and I was impressed with it but didn't get to read my own part in it.
And lastly, you all don't have to get so defensive.  Try reading my post again and take out the fact that you all think that I'm telling you not to do it.
I am here for the music more than anything.  I like the band and I have the highest respect for them.  But I don't need a band to do good and I am surely not going to kiss any asses in the process.  
As usual you all never see the real picture of what I'm truly trying to say.
Chill out and carry on.  Sorry if I got  a few feathers twisted and ruffled.  I'm tired of trying to give my own opinion on things and getting nothing but smart ass replies and sarcasm.
There wasn't anything negative in my post.

Try for once maybe doing things with other fan bases and getting the arena's permission.  The outcome would be twice what you plan on doing.
I'll just stick to the fact that charity begins at home.

Lastly about Random Dude.  How the fuck do I know?  I don't know either one of them.
Now carry on and get carried away in the process.  30stm is coming soon to an arena near... YOU.  wink.gif

#26 Lily_17

Lily_17

Lilybelle Lufflecakes...is ridiculously Canadian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (ChristineZ @ Mar 11 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As usual you all never see the real picture of what I'm truly trying to say.
Chill out and carry on.  Sorry if I got  a few feathers twisted and ruffled.  I'm tired of trying to give my own opinion on things and getting nothing but smart ass replies and sarcasm.
There wasn't anything negative in my post.

Try for once maybe doing things with other fan bases and getting the arena's permission.  The outcome would be twice what you plan on doing.
I'll just stick to the fact that charity begins at home.

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here, but I'd like to think my response wasn't full of either sarcasm or smart-ass-ness.  Your post did come off partially negative, since you seemed to insinuate (intentionally or not) that people wouldn't do anything without the band telling them.  Which is kinda negative, no?

Specifically, the last bolded part seems extremely negative, which is a shame.  sad.gif  What do you mean by 'doing things with other fan bases and getting the arena's permission'?  I'm confused.

#27 Jeto_

Jeto_

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:32 AM

how the fuck can you all get on your high horse bout it needing to not be 'band related' then stick the word 'echelon' in the title of whatever youre doing?
bizarre!

anyways i think there should be a echie jeto drive where you all buy me mixed squishies.

#28 ChristineZ

ChristineZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Jeto_ @ Mar 12 2010, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how the fuck can you all get on your high horse bout it needing to not be 'band related' then stick the word 'echelon' in the title of whatever youre doing?
bizarre!

anyways i think there should be a echie jeto drive where you all buy me mixed squishies.

My point was not to make it always Band or Echelon related.  wink.gif
Follow one's own path and not just for the band or in the name of the band.  But than again when I express an opinion seems I'm not allowed to voice an opinion without someone elses nickers getting all twisted.

#29 GraffitiGal89

GraffitiGal89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I have noticed a trend on these boards that I haven't seen on other Forums, and it is quite sad.

Someone posts an idea (and I think it is a good idea).  A few people agree, but then someone posts a snide remark or some 'ahh this is crap' comment.  Then ensues an ugly back and forth between people.  

Seriously people?  Be nice.  If you don't agree or whatever, say it and let it go.  This isn't a battle of 'who-is-the-most-awesome-among-us'.

#30 The_Devotchka

The_Devotchka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

View PostGraffitiGal89, on 23 May 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

I have noticed a trend on these boards that I haven't seen on other Forums, and it is quite sad.

Someone posts an idea (and I think it is a good idea).  A few people agree, but then someone posts a snide remark or some 'ahh this is crap' comment.  Then ensues an ugly back and forth between people.  

Seriously people?  Be nice.  If you don't agree or whatever, say it and let it go.  This isn't a battle of 'who-is-the-most-awesome-among-us'.

Very, very well said! I find there's always arguments on band forums because it's so easy to get wires crossed though!

#31 Stories

Stories

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

Why not auction off things they use and/or received during a concert for charity? Generally, there's things they're going to throw away anyways, might as well sign them and make a fan happy. They could do that online, or better yet: sell them in a booth (along with CD's, T-shirts, etc.) for low prices (no need to bancrupt die-hard fans). Or have a few such items and organise a tombola or something.

It could help give their concerts something "extra" and increase the interest of the media and press-coverage. The best combo would be that announcement along with having a radio station giving away tickets for their concert, which is a cue to spin one of their songs (the radio station I'm listening to, the Belgium channel 'Q-music') does that all the time.
But with this idea I'm a little biased; I'd like to win me some :)

Just a thought...

#32 martinhudson53

martinhudson53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Watch Margin Call Online Free

#33 rad6910

rad6910

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Amazing! This should be totally implemented. Echelon can help the world :)

#34 Bekka188

Bekka188

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea!! Here in my area we have so many places accepting food for children and families whom will not have enough this holiday season. To donate would be awesome (of course even if this is not considered for a mission we should donate anyway lol) Happy early Thanksgiving to you all out there! So glad to have found my "other family"  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users