#1 bluehorizon

bluehorizon

Major General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:37 AM

Hello Everyone
I was on Twitter tonight and I noticed something amazing. Switchfoot has been asking their fans to bring
can goods and clothes to help the local missions & food banks in the locations they play concerts.
Jon and Tim Foreman are really thoughtful and kind hearted individuals. They have also worked on Habitat for Humanity like 30stm
It would be cool if we could borrow a feather from their cap and do something similar at shows
It goes back to the Humanitarian Army idea I had in the dresscode thread about black dating back to the Knights of Hospitallers that were humanitarians
on the battlefield.
Doing something to help the less fortunate. It's not that hard to bring a can of soup or something you don't wear anymore.
Echelon can really make an impact by coordinating in the areas they live in where the band will play
Many organizations (at least in the US) provide containers for donation and will pick them up.

Food for thought as they say  smile.gif

#2 Morrigan

Morrigan

Evil Member of the Pantheon.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I hope the band will consider it.  Obviously, we'll need their involvement to organize this with the charities and people at shows, etc, but I think it's completely doable.  Considering how strapped food banks are right now due to the economic downturn and high unemployment rate (*makes faces* how I love being a statistic - NOT), this is a really timely project.

#3 Jenni6277

Jenni6277

also known as Gadina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Awesome idea Laura!

#4 Meri19

Meri19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

Fantastic Idea.  I know form working shows here in the Twin Cities there are a handful of artists that take in charitable donations.  I know Springsteen always has booths set up to support local food shelfs. And I believe that for many years Neil Diamond donates a large portion of the proceeds from merch sales to charties in each city on his tour stops. I'm quite sure the Hive could put their collective brain power to work and come up with something great.

#5 CandyO

CandyO

Happy Mars Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,352 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

nice

#6 Leavchip

Leavchip

The war within yourself is greater than the battle outside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I am sure with the bands approval to have the collection bins and each stop someone in charge this is quite doable.. i know here in Orlando that there are several organizations that we work with for the collections and all...

When WarpTour 09 was going they collected food for each donation you were given a front of the line pass..... so you were able to get through the gate before everyone else which was a great idea and help to get us into the festival early.

I am all for helping with the venues here in Florida and getting the organizations for each venue to do the pickups once the dates are given and the ok from the band

#7 Lara

Lara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

Great concept

smile.gif Cheers

#8 rockmusicprincess

rockmusicprincess

Penny & Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:25 AM

This is a great idea. Bon Jovi used to do this at least once a year in their home state and it worked really really well. It would be great if 30 would consider doing this at all their shows to make some sort of impact on every city/town they play. Although it takes very little effort for each one of us to buy an extra item when we do our shopping, the donations received at each show would be a massive help for a community.

Maybe you could also include donations of items to benefit children - things like books, school supplies  (pens, pencils, erasers, etc...). Just a thought.

Did any UKers watch the recent Channel 4ís How the Other Half Live? It was truly inspiring; following the story of two families where the wealthy family helped a family living below the poverty line in the UK.

#9 SaDistiC

SaDistiC

Woa!!Some people around here need a life o_O!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

That is a great idea...
Count me in  wink.gif

#10 Guest_Scorpio70_*

Guest_Scorpio70_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (bluehorizon @ Aug 28 2009, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Everyone
I was on Twitter tonight and I noticed something amazing. Switchfoot has been asking their fans to bring
can goods and clothes to help the local missions & food banks in the locations they play concerts.
Jon and Tim Foreman are really thoughtful and kind hearted individuals. They have also worked on Habitat for Humanity like 30stm
It would be cool if we could borrow a feather from their cap and do something similar at shows
It goes back to the Humanitarian Army idea I had in the dresscode thread about black dating back to the Knights of Hospitallers that were humanitarians
on the battlefield.
Doing something to help the less fortunate. It's not that hard to bring a can of soup or something you don't wear anymore.
Echelon can really make an impact by coordinating in the areas they live in where the band will play
Many organizations (at least in the US) provide containers for donation and will pick them up.

Food for thought as they say  smile.gif

Great idea!  Let's make it happen!

#11 SiobhannNessieHaggis

SiobhannNessieHaggis

Fully trained in the art of the Jack Black dance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Yeah I agree, great idea  smile.gif

#12 ImagineIfThisAllCameDown

ImagineIfThisAllCameDown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

I think it's a great idea too. If you take into consideration an average venue capacity... how much of a difference that would make? biggrin.gif

#13 EmpressoftheMartianArmy

EmpressoftheMartianArmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

It's a good idea and if there's a show in my area of Spokane, Wa - I would be happy to help with donation arrangments ... maybe we could all just do a 30STM donation day and collect for the cause? It would be mighty wide of us in these times - there are so many ppl struggling. Even a donation of time at local food banks would be appreciated.

#14 sonicvision

sonicvision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

When (notice there is no IF, they just HAVE to come in this area lol) 30stm comes to the Tampa area, I'm working on getting the "Shoes for Cure"; for children's cancer research active. You donate any pair of shoes, old, used, tornup, new, and even just one, to be recycled and the proceeds go towards children's cancer research.  Any pair, any condition, any style, and even a single shoe.  

heck, everyone's got one pair of old shoes they can get rid of!! If the concert arena will allow the collection bins for the shoes and 30STM's gives the okay, consider it done!!  

In this case, I don't even think a freebie, discount, nor front of line privelege is needed (but could have) it's for children, just the warm fuzzy thought that you can help should be enough!  

It'd be cool to fill a couple of large dumpster type bins!!

#15 Meri19

Meri19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

As I said before, I think this is a fantastic idea.  Would love to get something going when and if they come to Minnesota.

#16 scinsocal

scinsocal

All Access Pass (PA)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Maybe those that bring canned goods/donations will get a wristband for a signing?  Just like they did at the end of the last tour where you had to buy a CD for a wristband.

#17 Lily_17

Lily_17

Lilybelle Lufflecakes...is ridiculously Canadian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (scinsocal @ Sep 24 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe those that bring canned goods/donations will get a wristband for a signing?  Just like they did at the end of the last tour where you had to buy a CD for a wristband.

Although that's a nice gesture, I don't think it's realistic, at least from a label perspective.  Buying a CD gets CD sales and makes the record label/the band/whomever their money.  Bringing canned goods/shoes/clothes/etc, although a great thing to do, doesn't really help with sales.  sad.gif

Still think it's a good idea for the fans to do something, though.  There will be HFH plans coming as well I'm sure, once the tour is announced.  Would be cool to have some things happening at each show.  biggrin.gif

#18 scinsocal

scinsocal

All Access Pass (PA)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

Of course I didn't mean EVERY show.  Just select shows, which I think someone referred to earlier in the thread.  I will do better to make posts more clear.

#19 Elvira

Elvira

gone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,021 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

I don't think donating to food banks really fits with the 'brand' 30STM. Even though it is a great cause, it doesn't add value to the band.

A charity about environmental issues or animals would make more sense and would fit better with the message of the band (although that message could be more of an ABL thing).

#20 Lily_17

Lily_17

Lilybelle Lufflecakes...is ridiculously Canadian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (scinsocal @ Sep 25 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course I didn't mean EVERY show.  Just select shows, which I think someone referred to earlier in the thread.  I will do better to make posts more clear.

I still don't think it's something the label/whomever would do, though.  That being said, I think it's cool that people here want to do something, so we should.  smile.gifsmile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users