Skateboard Competition

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HiveMindBryan_*

Guest_HiveMindBryan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Tomorrow it's is very likely we will be launching a Skateboard Competition for fans to win a Bam Margera Autographed Skate Deck and a copy of A Beautiful Lie.  The point of this will be to activate a specific demographic of the fan base (i.e. skaters) and hopefully introduce others in this demographic who may not be aware of the band.

The mission will be video based with a focus on Skateboarding.

Example: "Create a skate video with Thirty Seconds to Mars playing LIVE in the background NOT added in post production"

What I need your help with is... Coming up with some CRAZY goals.  Stuff that is 'JACKASS' or Bam Margera style, but not too dangerous.  wink.gif

The key here is to make the goals well defined.  Like 'Do this' or 'Do this best' or 'Do this the most'

You're help would be appreciated!

Do not complain about this competition because you don't skate.  That's just not productive.  We're aware of the fact that not everyone is a skateboarder.

#2 Dai

Dai

ROGUE HAMMER!?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

- longest rail skid
- most kicks in one stride
- most interesting execution of board flips
- best choregraphy to a 30stm song, pref battle of one. just because.
- most skaters harmoniously in one shot
- most daring trick -- over bodies of water, x of fishtanks/barrells/people, through hoops, anything remotely circus-like
- coolest overall trick

i learned any (correct) skate lingo i know from the fantasy factory. true story.

#3 Lily_17

Lily_17

Lilybelle Lufflecakes...is ridiculously Canadian.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

Something involving a glyph pattern of some sort?  Bah, this is not my forte.  *thinks*

#4 Mars.echelon

Mars.echelon

Not So Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Do we have to include MARS related stuff in the video or just people doing tricks with the board? didn't understand that part well, sorry. unsure.gif

#5 Guest_HiveMindBryan_*

Guest_HiveMindBryan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

For the record: Yes, I did steal my signature image from Dai and I encourage anyone else to do the same.  I think the image in my/her signature perfectly expresses the feelings I have for The Echelon, The Hive, and this forum.

#6 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

I would, but I'm not giving this one up at the moment.  sad.gif  Sorry, this one means a lot to me.

#7 Guest_HiveMindBryan_*

Guest_HiveMindBryan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Mars.echelon @ Aug 20 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do we have to include MARS related stuff in the video or just people doing tricks with the board? didn't understand that part well, sorry. unsure.gif

Yes.  Ideally all goals with include something to do with Skateboarding and something related to 30STM.

#8 Guest_HiveMindBryan_*

Guest_HiveMindBryan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Lily_17 @ Aug 20 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would, but I'm not giving this one up at the moment.  sad.gif  Sorry, this one means a lot to me.

It's all good.  I like yours a lot too.  biggrin.gif

#9 Dai

Dai

ROGUE HAMMER!?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (HiveMindBryan @ Aug 20 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the record: Yes, I did steal my signature image from Dai and I encourage anyone else to do the same.  I think the image in my/her signature perfectly expresses the feelings I have for The Echelon, The Hive, and this forum.

you are so lucky i like you.

no, really though, that's really cool. and if anyone wants it, i can make different colors. or something. simply having the phrase in sigs wouldn't be bad, either. it's a nice compromise.

and bryan, you can quote multiple posts on one page and reply to all of them in one throw. ;]

#10 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (HiveMindBryan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's all good.  I like yours a lot too.  biggrin.gif

smile.gif  Admittedly my amazing powerpoint skills are not to the level of the awesomeness that is Dai's sig, but.  Yeah.  Project = wub.gif for me.

#11 Guest_HiveMindBryan_*

Guest_HiveMindBryan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Dai @ Aug 20 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are so lucky i like you.

no, really though, that's really cool. and if anyone wants it, i can make different colors. or something. simply having the phrase in sigs wouldn't be bad, either. it's a nice compromise.

and bryan, you can quote multiple posts on one page and reply to all of them in one throw. ;]

Sorry, Dai!  Not to step on your toes.  Just think of it as being a super cool trendsetter.  I just really appreciate the message and would like to see it adopted by the rest of the members even if it's only in practice and not by displaying the banner.

Also, I realized that about the quoting, but I think a post was made while I was replying to another.  tongue.gif

#12 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (HiveMindBryan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just really appreciate the message and would like to see it adopted by the rest of the members even if it's only in practice and not by displaying the banner.

Gah.  Yes.

#13 Alexandros

Alexandros

Winter is coming.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

I love Dai's goodies, she has a great hand with artwork and she knows I like her stuff greatly already. But I just changed mine. sad.gif

Furthermore, I exercise the message in her siggy since the very day one, she knows that. wub.gif

#14 Noele313

Noele313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

First off I think this is awesome!

All of these can be used for best, most (well except for grinds cause ya know)

All of thest tricks can be done in bowls, empty pools, mini ramps, half pipe, quarter pipe. Or perhaps Skate lab in Simi Valley

Grinds:
50/50
5-0,5-0
nose grind
tail grind
dark side
manual 5-0

Flip tricks
kick flip
heel flip
impossible
pop shove it
inward heel flip

grabs
nose grab
tail grab
airwalk
rocket
madonna
one footed japan
mole grab
reverse mole grab

As with the first mission, who can get the most in on one run. So obviously whoever is filming and whoever is "evaluating" will need to know what each of the tricks are done.

Points for each trick in one run
Points for the best trick

skill level
beginner: ollie, kick flip, 50/50 grinds, nose grab, tail grab

intermediate: heel flip, pop shove it, nose grind, tail grind, 5-0,5-0, mole grab, rocket, madonna

advanced: impossibe, dark side, manual 5-0, airwalk, reverse mole grab, pop shove it, inward heel flip, one footed japan

Typical competitions are who can do the cleanest and who get the most points based on number of tricks and skill level.

Some staring moves:

Skateboard off of the roof onto the ramp
Start on a trampoline with a board in the hand, run off tramp, do a wall plant, push off wall onto ground land on board

Ollie over a trash can,
Kick flip over a trash can

any flip trick over a trash can.

Hope this helps

Thanks

#15 Leavchip

Leavchip

The war within yourself is greater than the battle outside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (HiveMindBryan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, Dai! Not to step on your toes. Just think of it as being a super cool trendsetter. I just really appreciate the message and would like to see it adopted by the rest of the members even if it's only in practice and not by displaying the banner.

Also, I realized that about the quoting, but I think a post was made while I was replying to another. tongue.gif

I asked and thanks for the answer - I was starting to think you and Dai were the same... blink.gif .lol

I like what Dai put in, and you could also do:
1) most skaters in a run
2) highest run/jump ( legal skateboard park regulation ramp measured official and all)
3) must do tricks without editing of the video ( there are some amazing board vids but they are heavily edited..)

#16 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

Okay, uh.  Does anyone skateboard here?  And can explain some of the cultural stuff behind it so we can think up some things?

I'm thinking primarily...what's the term, millenials (my friend is in insights and was reminding me of cohort shit the other day, oh god).  Pseudo rebellious at the very least- I'm sure they think they're rebellious, anyway.  Even though it's pretty mainstream now.  Likely into harder music, punk rock, etc?  Interested in self-expression and individuality.  Competition and one-upping each other seems to be key.

*goes to find some articles*  Haha oh hey, I might not have been too far off.  Haven't found any market research studies yet because you have to buy them all.  I don't necessarily agree with the last part, but if you take a look at the profiling of the other ones, I can see how the band might fit into that.  (Keep in mind this isn't an actual study, but an article I found.  I have no idea if it's proven)

Simple Self Expression
One reason is the simple anatomy of skateboarding. All you really need is yourself and a skateboard. Technically, you don't even need shoes! The skateboard itself is fairly low cost, especially if you don't need a "top of the line" skateboard. Plus, anyone can try skateboarding. It doesn't matter if you are fat or thin, short or tall, young or old - there's a board and a style that will work for you. Skateboarding is all about self expression. If you are a slow, soulful guy, it will show in your skateboarding style. If you want everything fast, that will show. If you're a dare devil, if you're graceful, or if you're comical, it will all come out in your skateboarding. Being yourself, learning the tricks and developing the style that is all you - that's easily one of the biggest reasons that skateboarding is popular.

Punk Rage
Which melds into another reason that skateboarding is so popular - the punk movement. Big business, modernism, established rules and regulations - a huge chunk of the western-influenced planet got sick of it all, and punk was born. Loud angry music, spikes, piercings, tattoos, and skateboarding - it all came together. Skateboarding is hard, and you have to be tough in order to learn. Skateboarding also has no rules. Anything goes. You can do what you want, be who you want, tell the world off. It's no wonder that skateboarding and punk go together well.

Belonging
But not just punks skateboard. Some skaters are only a little punk, some are jocks, some are nerds, some are Goth, and many don't fit into a box. But they are all "skaters". They have all picked up a skateboard, given it a shot, and loved it. There's something a little different about real skaters. And that is another reason skateboarding is so popular - skateboarding will take anyone, as long as you have the heart. You can suck at skateboarding but as long as you really try, and as long as you love skating, you're in. And most skaters get along pretty well, considering who knows what else they're into. At the skatepark I've seen my fair share of jerks, but I've also seen a shocking number of cool people. Older skaters encouraging younger skaters, good skaters giving tips to crappy skaters, and total strangers getting along, hanging out and having fun. There's plenty of attitude, but not all of it is negative. I think that this willingness to take anyone, as long as they truly try, is a another big reason why skateboarding is so popular.

Adrenaline and Awe
But you really do have to try, and skateboarding can hurt. In fact, you are almost guaranteed that you WILL get hurt! It comes with the board. This sense of danger, and the fact that if you DO pull off a good trick, that means that you are both good at something difficult and you've paid for it in blood. This pride and sense of danger has a lot to do with skateboarding's popularity. Non-skaters love to watch it for these same reasons! Skateboarding is just the skateboarder and his skateboard. No ropes, unattached, flipping and spinning through the air and along the ground. You gotta respect that.

Skate and Create
Skateboarding tricks are all invented by someone. Someone out there first came up with each trick, and skaters will always be able to create their own tricks. This is partly due to skateboarding being relatively new, but only partly. The fact that the skater and his skateboard aren't connected, plus the nature of the skateboard's design, mean that the possibilities are truly endless! Skaters will always be inventing and creating new tricks. Skateboarding will always evolve. Even if there was only one skater on the planet, skateboarding would advance, progress, and evolve. This ability to always progress into something new and fresh is another reason that skateboarding is so popular.

Wholesome Family Fun
And finally, my last and most important reason skateboarding is so popular - skateboarding is fun. The feeling of riding your board down a hill or over transition at the park can't be beat. The feeling of landing a new trick is a huge rush. The feeling of weightlessness, of fading into pure motion, of pushing yourself and ONLY yourself ... this is all easily the largest reason for skateboarding's popularity. Yeah skateboarding will hurt, but all things worth while involve some level of risk and pain. Skateboarding is freedom and self expression. Skaters out there know, and if you haven't skated, you should try. There's nothing like it.

#17 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Edit:  Cool, Noele!  Maybe extra points if they can find some place where they can legally spray paint the glyphs on the bowl or whatever?  I think I read somewhere that you could do that in some skate parks?

#18 Mars.echelon

Mars.echelon

Not So Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (HiveMindBryan @ Aug 21 2009, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.  Ideally all goals with include something to do with Skateboarding and something related to 30STM.

Thanks. I have to admit I don't know a damn about skateboarding, but maybe my brother could help you with this considering he's the national champion or something. He could help you by telling which tricks people are doing and levels of difficulty or something.

How are you going to choose the winner? based on creativity, tricks difficulty, age, ... ?

I dunno if that's what you really want, but the kid knows everything about this. wink.gif

#19 Noele313

Noele313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Lily_17 @ Aug 20 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit: Cool, Noele! Maybe extra points if they can find some place where they can legally spray paint the glyphs on the bowl or whatever? I think I read somewhere that you could do that in some skate parks?

Actually most skate parks have "wall art". ie: look at the Echelon picnic pictures when they used chalk to color over the "wall art" that is a skate park, I think the outdoor area of Skate Lab allows it too.

hah they could do 2 missions at once!

#20 Lily_17

Lily_17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,441 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Another interesting one that might help with the profile bit.  How do we squeeze in here, and where do we fit?

Top 10 Skateboarding Bands, Music and Songs to Skate To
Music has everything to do with skateboarding - every skater has his or her own favorite songs and bands that help get us stoked up to try stuff, help get us stay pumped, help get us into the mood for skateboarding. The following list is half my own favorite bands to listen to while I skate, and half suggestions pulled from the Skate Forum. Take a look for some skateboarding music ideas, and then drop in the Skateboarding Forum and say what music you like to skateboard to!

1. CKY
CKY - for "Camp Kill Yourself". CKY is famous for their music and videos, and the close link between CKY and Bam Margera (his brother is in the band), and Jackass - which then spawned Wild Boys and Viva La Bam! CKY has been around since 1996 - the CKY videos and music have been a favorite of skaters for a long time.

2. MXPX
MXPX has been on the scene for what feels like forever. I love these guys - and their music is great for skating, and doing anything else that might get you hurt. A few favorite songs for me for skateboarding are: "Middle Name", "Punk Rawk Show", and "Running Away". A bit of trivia - MXPX stands for "Magnified Plaid".

.3. The Offspring
The Offspring has a huge pile of great music to get your blood pumpin' - I love listening to these guys. Some favorites for skateboarding are: "All I Want", "One Fine Day", "Come Out Swinging", and "Falling". But there's plenty more - The Offspring is the kind of music that will get your adrenaline going if you're into it. I always seem to want to move a lot and break stuff when listening to Offspring ...

.4. Dogwood
Dogwood is one of those bands that not everyone's heard of, but for those who have, you see Dogwood patches on their jackets. Dogwood is moderately heavy, but fast. It should keep your energy going. Some of my favorite Dogwood songs for skateboarding are: "Building a Better Me", "The Good Times", and "Never Die". Dogwood works for me to keep me going, once I'm already stoked up a bit.

.5. NoFx
NoFx - I have a love-hate relationship with these guys. Sometimes NoFx will get me stoked, and I'll want to jump and kick and the works - but other times, I feel kinda gross when listening to 'em. Either way, they are a favorite band to skate to for many riders - if you haven't heard 'em, check them out. For something similar, but different, try Rancid.

.6. Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly
These are two completely separate bands, but I'm running out of space on this list! Both of these bands are Irish punk bands, and they rock to a ridiculous degree. If you are looking for something different to get pumped up to, try these songs: for Dropkick Murphys, try "Captain Kelly's Kitchen". For Flogging Molly, try "Seven Deadly Sins". By the way, if you get a chance to see Flogging Molly in concert, drop everything and get there - they put on an great show.

.7. Fall Out Boy, Punk and Pop-Punk
Bands like Fall Out Boy (Emo bands, or bands that play stuff that's a sort of mix of rock and punk) can have good rhythms to get you into the flow of skating. Davywonder, a member of the Skate Forum, says he learned to varial while listening to Fall Out Boy. If you want something with a little more punk feel, try Green Day, Goldfinger, Bowling for Soup, Simple Plan, and Blink 182. These all have wildly different sounds, but can end up under the "punk" or more likely the "pop-punk" heading.

.8. Slick Shoes - Sum 41
Slick Shoes has fast music, but slower or softer (?) words. The mix makes a great sound for sustained listening and skateboarding. Try the song "Pretend To Be The Same" to get an idea of what they sound like. For heavier music like Slick Shoes, but with harsher vocals, try Sum 41 - "My Direction", "The Hell Song", or "No Reason" are all great songs with a good fast beat for skateboarding. There are a pile of bands that would fit into this category.

.9. P.O.D.
POD is perfect for heavier, thicker, more soulful riding. Not the best for thrashing - better for late night cruising, chillin, dealing with the weight of the world ... sometimes, when I'm dealing with life, I like to just get out and ride, and POD is a perfect band for skateboarding like this. Try the songs "Anything Right", "Sleeping Awake", "Alive", or "Boom".

.10. Everything Else...
Compiling a list like this is tough - there are so many good bands out there for skateboarding. Here are a few more that either I like, or come strongly recommended - check them out and see what you think: Pennywise, The Adicts, Linkin Park, Dr. Octogon, Thousand Foot Krutch, Deltron 3030, Ace Troubleshooter, 7 Seconds, Sepultra, Prodigy ... this list could go on and on. If you have a favorite that you think should be on here, drop by the Skateboarding Forum and tell the planet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users