Is Global Warming a hoax based on bad science?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 ReesesPieces

ReesesPieces

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

I don't feel it's a hoax in that "no it's def. not even happening" but more in "wow, if we completely exaggerate the situation's these poor folks will believe us and spend their money on the most ridiculous shit we create with the claim of being 'green.'" There's no reason to hang on every word that Al Gore spews. How about instead of spending all your money on eco-friendly light bulbs, you shut off your lights for a few minutes. I don't how many times I've heard people say it was okay to leave lights on that they didn't need because they've got those energy efficient ones.

One thing to get straight is that human's don't cause global warming; that is constantly under research and scrutiny. Do we help it right along? Hell yeah. Spikes in temperature tied to CO2 emissions can be seen during times of massive industrialization, such as the switch toward more factories at the turn of the 20th century and during both World Wars. Those number pale in comparison to the The fact that 2008 was the coldest year this century matters much less than the fact that average temperature has risen drastically over the same time frame. Or the fact that 2007 saw record breaking ice melting.

#42 will8929

will8929

Why not?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

The dodgy thing is that 50 years ago, in England at least, there
was widespread panic over an oncoming ice age. 10 years later that idea was scrapped.
Also you've probably all seen Al Gore's film an inconveniant truth,
but have you seen the great global warming swindle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Glo...Warming_Swindle
its basically the same as an inconveniant truth but arguing the other way around.
see if that changes your mind.

#43 foamdecay

foamdecay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

Read "Dire Predictions"by Mann and Kump

Global Warming is NOT a hoax based on bad science.

Some people might say that the amount of human created CO2 and other heat trapping emissions is so small that it is crazy think it could threaten human health. But even though the amount of CO2 and other human-caused heat trapping emissions released into the atmosphere may seem relatively small, Think about it this way....in our entire body, 3-7% of our blood is made up of platelets, but without that small amount we could bleed to death.  Now think about this, since the industrial revolution, CO2 emissions have increased more than 40% mostly because of burning coal and oil and forests which is overloading the Earth's atmosphere with CO2.

#44 Proxen

Proxen

Resident Metalhead ...er...Philosopher (VIP)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Global warming is a hoax.  Climate change is not a hoax.  Neither are the greatest hoax/scam of all time.

#45 LeysaD

LeysaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

The latest and greatest, its not Global Warming its Climate Change!!!!   They hoped that would get more people on board.  I can get on board with climate change although very general a term.  BUT.... huh.gif

One of the things I read about global climate change is the change in the ocean currents and that is our biggest problem, and the more likely to occur, you know el nino and el nina, sorry spelling isn't great....but if that changes, moves or shifts or something to that effect we will have real problems.  Of course that is affected by temperature also....could be cold or warm, hence the climate change and not so much global warming.

Geesh......and what the hell do we know anyway we have only been on earth for a fraction of time  wink.gif .  A couple million years from now maybe we will get a clue!

#46 Proxen

Proxen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

The current you're talking about is the gulf stream.  And it is the real deal when it comes to climate control.  Climate change is a general term because it fits.  Some places grow hotter, see oceans rising and so on.  Other places are colder.  Some are both in different seasons.  It's climate change.  Calling it global warming is misleading and really came to be more of a scare term than an accurate one.

#47 dewey fidalgo

dewey fidalgo

Waiting for the Tsunami

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Proxen @ Dec 1 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The current you're talking about is the gulf stream.  And it is the real deal when it comes to climate control.  Climate change is a general term because it fits.  Some places grow hotter, see oceans rising and so on.  Other places are colder.  Some are both in different seasons.  It's climate change.  Calling it global warming is misleading and really came to be more of a scare term than an accurate one.

While you are correct about the Gulf Stream being critical in climate "control"...the El Nino/La Nina effects are in the Pacific.   Just saying.

And also while the term "global warming" is used as a big scary boo! It is rather correct.   The overall temps are rising, but that does not mean that more localised conditions will reflect this.  I use Climate Change because it doesn't get the dander up of people I am trying to convince.....or AGW (when I want to be onery).

#48 Proxen

Proxen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (dewey fidalgo @ Dec 1 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...the El Nino/La Nina effects are in the Pacific.

Really?

#49 dewey fidalgo

dewey fidalgo

Waiting for the Tsunami

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Proxen @ Dec 1 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?

Honest, cross my heart and hope to die.... smile.gif   Look up the Humboldt Current, the Equatorial Current and things like the Southern Oscillation.  Actually, it's just quicker if you look up "El Nino".   While it may have an effect on the Atlantic patterns, some believe a strong EN can decrease Atlantic hurricanes and like all major weather (shorthand) patterns and cycles it impacts a larger area, it is quite primarily a Pacific phenomenon (but then, as the Pacific covers a pretty damn big part of the world, the patterns therein would have a large effect on the rest of the world).   The point being that the Gulf Stream, an Atlantic current is not the El Nino/La Nina "source".

This is kind of something I actually used to do for a living at a marine science and research center.   Plus, as a fishing family on the West Coast, we know the El Nino, etc...it directly impacts us in a very immediate way in terms of weather and water temps...upwellings, etc.

Actually, right now we are still in a La Nina period. wet, chilly and did I mention wet?    laugh.gif

#50 Proxen

Proxen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

I was being sarcastic.

#51 Ymagier

Ymagier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

Why are some people so desperate to very loudly shout down the global warming theory and reject practices which take greater account of the environment?
Adopting cleaner energy and a less wasteful lifestyles won't actually hurt.
The climate has changed, true. We don't know if it's natural or man-made, although I personally I suspect you can't belch chemicals into the atmosphere permanently without it having some impact on the world eventually.
There are companies which are making a merry mint by capitalising on the eco-friendly market, and some organisations and governments which mask costcutting as environmental improvements.
But there are also plenty of organisations and companies which are perfectly happy to abuse the natural world if it makes a fat little profit for them short-term.

#52 Proxen

Proxen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Ymagier @ Dec 2 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are some people so desperate to very loudly shout down the global warming theory and reject practices which take greater account of the environment?

Because I anxiously await the Rapture!

#53 will8929

will8929

Why not?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

climate change exists, global warming - i'm not so sure
where i'm from anyway last winter was the coldest for 30 years and the last week we've had the most snow since before the 1970s

the only good thing that's come out of it is that switching to greener renewable energy isn't a bad thing - fossil fuels aren't everlasting
people need a bit of fear to get their asses in gear when it comes to changing from what is easy and cheap

#54 Dr Frostbite

Dr Frostbite

nothing hurts machine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

I personally can't wait until global warming starts kicking in a bit more. Fuck snow. I'm about to go buy a case of Aqua Net to spray outside.

#55 will8929

will8929

Why not?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

yeah we were told we'd be getting a mediterranean climate within 50 years here.
if it doesn't happen i'm gonna leave.

#56 LeysaD

LeysaD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

ph34r.gif

Earth + People = screwed

How do we try to fix something we know so little about?  This may be a natural cycle of the earth????  

Oh and the el nino and el nina was just an example that I was pretty sure everyone has heard about. smile.gif ....I studied some glacialology in grad school and the oceanic currents were part of it.  Soo cool!  smile.gif  

I wonder why no one has declared the end of the world yet???  blink.gif Maybe waiting for Dec 12, 2012 now that the mayan calendar (it was the mayan calendar, right?) has been reset  tongue.gif

#57 will8929

will8929

Why not?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

The world is not going to end. The climate is going to change. We are going to adapt. No biggie.

#58 GiaMarie

GiaMarie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

It's a natural cycle of the earth.  Besides, 98% of the people here only believe what they do about it because Jared said so.

#59 damncajun

damncajun

Nipple Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

it's not about the fact that the climate is changing- no shit it's been changing since the world's been in existence. it's about the RATE of climate change and whether or not we and the wild life can adapt quickly enough, and what we can do to slow it down.

#60 will8929

will8929

Why not?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

the climate isn't gonna change overnight, it's not like all of a sudden the worlds gonna be a desert or somthing
there is no doubt that humans can adapt, whether we can slow it down is another matter, and as for wildlife, there probably will be casualties, and it's what we can do to save some of these species that is a tougher problem, eg the polar bear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users