Is Global Warming a hoax based on bad science?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Key

Key

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

While I don't agree with the idea that global warming is a "hoax", I have some respect for some people such as David Bellamy for standing up against prevailing thought and saying there could be alternative explanations for the changes in the climate. It's got to take some guts.

Problem is, when that starts being used as an excuse against making changes to the way in which we treat the natural world. Limited natural resources, disappearing habitat, the survival of species, are just some of the other things that seem to indicate the world's getting used up too quickly. It's all too easy to use something like that as a reason to avoid taking initiative, when there are so many reasons why energy conservation and emission control are good ideas - for us and the planet.

Is this someone else's soapbox? I feel a little uncomfortable up here.

#22 pasiphae9

pasiphae9

Foreveroptimistic.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (Key @ Mar 3 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I don't agree with the idea that global warming is a "hoax", I have some respect for some people such as David Bellamy for standing up against prevailing thought and saying there could be alternative explanations for the changes in the climate. It's got to take some guts.

Problem is, when that starts being used as an excuse against making changes to the way in which we treat the natural world. Limited natural resources, disappearing habitat, the survival of species, are just some of the other things that seem to indicate the world's getting used up too quickly. It's all too easy to use something like that as a reason to avoid taking initiative, when there are so many reasons why energy conservation and emission control are good ideas - for us and the planet.

Oh, hell, I agree that we're being idiots and using up the worlds resources. I only have to look around the room to see all the wood and realise it came from somewhere. But I think that global warming and using up resources are two somewhat different aspects of how we treat the world.

#23 find-ourselves-lost

find-ourselves-lost

"I'm gonna live till I die.”

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (pasiphae9 @ Mar 3 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point. But is the climate change necessarily a bad thing if it happens anyway?
And I've heard (don't know if its true) that the amount of CO2 given out by cars and things like that is tiny compared to amounts given out naturally by the planet, and so wouldn't affect such a large organism like Earth. I don't actually know the ratio though, so that could be bullshit.

And nawwww. The graph was ok, and so was your reasoning. smile.gif

I just don't trust the way the government are impressing how bad global warming is and taxing us for it, and not actually giving us solid proof its happening us doing it (just read grrlis post and agree). Its fishy.

wub.gif  wub.gif

I dont trust the government full stop (sneaks off)

#24 pasiphae9

pasiphae9

Foreveroptimistic.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (find-ourselves-lost @ Mar 3 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wub.gif  wub.gif

biggrin.gif wub.gif

Me neither to be honest (sneaks off too)

#25 grrli

grrli

Earth global resident, Mars transient

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (find-ourselves-lost @ Mar 3 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wub.gif  wub.gif

QUOTE (pasiphae9 @ Mar 3 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif wub.gif

Me neither to be honest (sneaks off too)

Trust no one on faith alone. Remember... truth is out there.
I totally quoted the X Files. But it fits. (sneaks off as well)

#26 Sandra M

Sandra M

*a poop in the woods*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

I think it's at least a bit of a hoax. Protecting the enviroment has become such a "modern" thing the last couple of years. This whole subject is so hyped by the media. And to be honest: it frakkin annoys me.
Don't get me wrong, of cause it's always good to be ecofriendly but you don't have to carry it to excess.

#27 karina4449

karina4449

Emotional zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

/pointless post

#28 Reflecting

Reflecting

Queso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

karina4449, that's cute.  laugh.gif

QUOTE (grrli @ Mar 3 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust no one on faith alone. Remember... truth is out there.
I totally quoted the X Files. But it fits. (sneaks off as well)

"Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

I refuse to sneak.. *skips out*   wink.gif

#29 grrli

grrli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Reflecting @ Mar 4 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
karina4449, that's cute.  laugh.gif

"Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

I refuse to sneak.. *skips out*   wink.gif

Brat! We were all in like, spy mode and you skipped. What spy FBI X Files type skips? Don't answer that.
That was from the movie! I liked that movie pretty darn much. I liked the first few seasons of the show, too.  

But

to reiterate to the people wandering in and thinking that it's hype.
Global warming = NOT hype. It is a documented fact that the world is warmer than it was. Why? Dunno. Should we take responsibility for the fact that we're basically shitting in our own bedrooms?

Yes. Regardless of whether or not it is a contributor to the problem.

#30 Reflecting

Reflecting

Queso

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (grrli @ Mar 4 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to reiterate to the people wandering in and thinking that it's hype.
Global warming = NOT hype. It is a documented fact that the world is warmer than it was. Why? Dunno. Should we take responsibility for the fact that we're basically shitting in our own bedrooms?

Yes. Regardless of whether or not it is a contributor to the problem.

wub.gif

I love that.

*skips back into stealth mode*

#31 forever_you

forever_you

Imperial Stormtrooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (jackandsally @ Mar 3 2009, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad link but it says "Fox News" which answers the question.

LULZ

#32 GhettoKameleon

GhettoKameleon

Barnaby Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (find-ourselves-lost @ Mar 3 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because, we are buggering up the Ozone layer with all the carbon dioxide form our cars and from industrial things
Look at this:

There is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere then their was 40 years ago, because of all the crap we are putting in the atmosphere.
and because of all that it is causing Global Warming.
and look at the weather now, their wasn't fires or hurricanes this bad years and years ago!

But im not good at reasoning and explaining things...  unsure.gif

This is one of the worst explanations I've ever read on this board, which is saying a lot.  Explain the rise in CO2 levels for the two hundred years before the Industrial Age.  Certainly wasn't anything humans were doing.  Fires, hurricanes, and other major weather disturbances have, historically, been this bad in cycles.  If global warming is indeed happening (although 2008 was the coldest year over the last century), then it wouldn't be simply because of humanity.  If anything, humanity would be contributing to global warming, not causing it.  We are in a natural cycle of warming, and in a few hundred years, we'll be in a natural cycle of cooling.  That's how the Earth works.

Global warming is NOT a well documented fact.  Period.  To even say that is moronic.  Global warming is still highly speculative and a major point of contention among the scientific community.

And completely ignoring a story because it comes from FOX News is retarded as well.  Whether or not you agree with their pundits, they do report the news honestly (pundits spin it).

#33 find-ourselves-lost

find-ourselves-lost

"I'm gonna live till I die.”

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (GhettoKameleon @ Mar 5 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of the worst explanations I've ever read on this board, which is saying a lot.

OI!
I said im not good at explaining things...

#34 SidheMeabh

SidheMeabh

Loinnear réalta, aoibh an gháire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (karina4449 @ Mar 4 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

/pointless post

LAWL That is so awesome.  laugh.gif

I totally understand their concern however.  cool.gif

~~~Maevey xo

#35 grrli

grrli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (GhettoKameleon @ Mar 5 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Global warming is NOT a well documented fact.  Period.  To even say that is moronic.  Global warming is still highly speculative and a major point of contention among the scientific community.

What is the definition to global warming?
The world is getting warmer.That is what global warming means. It IS a documented fact.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=5236
http://zipcodezoo.com/Trends/Trends%20in%2...Temperature.asp
http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

How MUCH of the current climactic changes are the fault of our species is the debatable thing. And really... how is it bad to think better safe than sorry? Why would it be wrong to clean up now so our kids and their kids don't turn out to be fucking mutants, or dying slow, awful deaths? I mean, that's what it always seems to come back to. A lack of a desire to stand up and pick up, find better, safer, cleaner and less wasteful ways of living.

Are you saying it's wrong to try to take responsibility for every possible factor we as a species on this planet might cause? I hope that's not the reasoning behind your argument.

#36 jackandsally

jackandsally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

karina4449: haha. Pic was a laugh.

QUOTE (GhettoKameleon @ Mar 5 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And completely ignoring a story because it comes from FOX News is retarded as well.  Whether or not you agree with their pundits, they do report the news honestly (pundits spin it).

Predictable.
I didn't ignore the story just because it was Fox News. I couldn't read it at the time because it was a bad link, which has since been fixed. Plus, my comment has nothing to do with their pundits but from what I've experience first hand from having a teacher who was a former employee of the company and having the "pleasure" to work there myself and in the world of journalism as a whole. Do you even know what I was implying by my comment? I doubt it.

Anywho, for everyone who says that global warming is legitimate, there are those who say it's a hoax. Frankly, there is such a lack of facts, research, and support for both arguments that we can't just ignore one side.

#37 ~Ani~

~Ani~

Is this who you are...?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

The Earth does warm up naturally, but we are speeding up the process, and the planet cannot keep up with the speed of change.  Also, one of the biggest contributors of harmful gases, are farm animals, ie: cows & sheep, and as the worlds population grows, so it will need ever more animals to feed it - catch 22.

What we need is a drastic re-think of birth control, and rewards to those who have 2 children or less.

#38 GhettoKameleon

GhettoKameleon

Barnaby Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (grrli @ Mar 6 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the definition to global warming?
The world is getting warmer.That is what global warming means. It IS a documented fact.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=5236
http://zipcodezoo.com/Trends/Trends%20in%2...Temperature.asp
http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

How MUCH of the current climactic changes are the fault of our species is the debatable thing. And really... how is it bad to think better safe than sorry? Why would it be wrong to clean up now so our kids and their kids don't turn out to be fucking mutants, or dying slow, awful deaths? I mean, that's what it always seems to come back to. A lack of a desire to stand up and pick up, find better, safer, cleaner and less wasteful ways of living.

I like this link, though.  http://blog.heritage.org/2008/12/11/scient...l-warming-case/

Are you saying it's wrong to try to take responsibility for every possible factor we as a species on this planet might cause? I hope that's not the reasoning behind your argument.

Did I, at any point, say that it is wrong to clean up our environment for future generations?  No, I didn't.  Nor did I say this is, or should be, a lack of desire to find more efficient ways of living.  Your entire statement was vapid and utterly useless.  Congratulations, you posted three links that support your argument.  Have you even bothered to read cases against global warming?  Or read up on evidence that possible global warming could, and would, increase plant life and biodiversity world wide (hence making it a positive thing)?  Your argument is painfully one-sided and appears to be poorly researched.

#39 grrli

grrli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (GhettoKameleon @ Mar 6 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I, at any point, say that it is wrong to clean up our environment for future generations?  No, I didn't.  Nor did I say this is, or should be, a lack of desire to find more efficient ways of living.  Your entire statement was vapid and utterly useless.  Congratulations, you posted three links that support your argument.  Have you even bothered to read cases against global warming?  Or read up on evidence that possible global warming could, and would, increase plant life and biodiversity world wide (hence making it a positive thing)?  Your argument is painfully one-sided and appears to be poorly researched.

I DID say I was hoping it wasn't the reasoning behind your argument. Clearly I have spoken as to why I have chosen the standpoint I have. And I ALSO have said that it is UNCLEAR as to why the climate has reacted as it has. Only because some studies have pointed to the fact that it has risen starkly in the recent past is why I believe that we as a species should do some worldwide self checking to be sure we won't be wearing the blame, later. Plus, it really is kind of shitting in our own big backyard.
It's not my fault you didn't post anything for people to look at to see what evidence you were coming from. According to what you've said, find-ourselves-lost is moronic for searching some evidence to support what she believes. If you consider what I wrote and what I believe to be vapid, feel free to keep thinking that.

#40 Leavchip

Leavchip

The war within yourself is greater than the battle outside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

The hoax part of the entire event is the ones making money off the fact we are in a natural warming cycle which has been enhanced by the human factor.  

The talking heads are going to spin this to benefit them and their causes whatever they are.  It doesn't matter who reports it- the facts are clear there are environmental problems which have been heightened by the lack of environmental concern.

The melting icecaps, the changes we have not seen or known before are because the last time this happened there was not the availablity to track, predict and see what was happening around the world like we can do with the technology we have today.

The bandwagon is getting full of save our planet mantras- the planet will save itself. the humans need to be more friendly to it or they will get voted off the island.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users