1303 replies to this topic

#1261 danabeaton

danabeaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

I don't really know where this thread has gone with all the rants on the first page but..

I've been pescetarian since I was 11 (6 years now) and am now transitioning to be vegan. I think I may occasionally eat egg (thus being ovo-vegetarian) for breakfast. This whole raw fruit and veg thing is gonna be expensive for my family, but I hope it'll work out.

Really looking forward to having green smoothies and eating raw foods :D

I've heard people say it's stupid and that we're all herbivores... but in this day and age, we don't need to eat meat to survive and live healthily.

#1262 Crimson21

Crimson21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postdanabeaton, on 27 October 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

I don't really know where this thread has gone with all the rants on the first page but..

I've been pescetarian since I was 11 (6 years now) and am now transitioning to be vegan. I think I may occasionally eat egg (thus being ovo-vegetarian) for breakfast. This whole raw fruit and veg thing is gonna be expensive for my family, but I hope it'll work out.

Really looking forward to having green smoothies and eating raw foods :D

I've heard people say it's stupid and that we're all herbivores... but in this day and age, we don't need to eat meat to survive and live healthily.

Yeah I agree with you and its unfortunate that many people believe that we need meat to survive but no it isn't true and by us not eating meat it helps with our health leading us to live long happy lives.

#1263 Crimson21

Crimson21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

I think that people need to be informed so that they realize that leading a vegetarian or vegan life can help them more than the food they eat right now. However, I think the problem is, is that many people have been used to eating meat all the time that it would be very weird and abnormal for them to stop. It's like a habit or something natural for them since that's how they have grown up and gotten used to. So now that they are being told that they don't need to eat meat in order to be healthy and to help out the environment, they freak out and lash out to those that are vegetarians or vegans. They think that it's just some other attempt at a diet, and then they ask and say, "So what now we are going to just eat plants or what?" They don't realize that many of the foods that they eat can be made in another way that is meatless for example the famous hamburger that everyone loves to eat is available as the veggie burger which if you haven't tried it you are missing out on the good stuff. I think it's just a matter of being told the facts, being willing to make a change, sticking to your decision, and overall being open-minded and willing to try something new that will help you and the world. So its a two for one deal :D

#1264 VanillaMintFusion

VanillaMintFusion

Luctor Et Emergo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

I think open mindedness needs to come from both sides. I think both choices are healthy, if done right, with a good balance making sure we don't deprive our body of certain nutrients. I eat meat and will always eat meat, not because of health but because I do actually like meat. I don't tell others how and what they should eat though. It's a personal choice, we are all different and neither choice is a bad choice. I say it's all about knowing where your food is from rather than just what you eat because both the animal as the vegetable growing industry when done on a large scale impacts the environment.

#1265 foxx

foxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

I am partly vegetarian. I know, that probably doesn't count, but it is like- I am absolutely fine eating no meat, when I cook myself, I add meat really rarely, only if in the fridge there isn't anything else to add (to pasta, omlet and so on). I am up to become even more vegetarian, but it will be pretty much hard, because I find chicken meat really tasty.  :lol:
But I am really proud of all vegetarians, who are up to save animal lives out there.
IMAGINE OUR LIVES, IF WE WON'T EAT MEAT, NOT AT ALL, IF WE WOULDN'T KNOW WE CAN DO IT.

#1266 laurahya

laurahya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

View PostVanillaMintFusion, on 31 October 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I think open mindedness needs to come from both sides. I think both choices are healthy, if done right, with a good balance making sure we don't deprive our body of certain nutrients. I eat meat and will always eat meat, not because of health but because I do actually like meat. I don't tell others how and what they should eat though. It's a personal choice, we are all different and neither choice is a bad choice. I say it's all about knowing where your food is from rather than just what you eat because both the animal as the vegetable growing industry when done on a large scale impacts the environment.
I totally understand that. I'd rather an honest "I like it and/or I think it's good for us" meat-eater than one of those people who is happy to shovel down a burger without actually acknowledging where it came from. I've spent almost 13 years as a vegetarian being asked some really dumbass questions by people regarding what I choose to (not) eat - and not genuinely interested questions, actually ridiculously passive-agressive ones - so I would never get all up in someone's face when they're trying to eat their meaty dinner asking them why they're eating that and don't they think it's unhealthy and what the hell is wrong with them (all things I've "enjoyed" listening to at mealtimes). I can't say I'm not above trying to inform people about the meat industry, because sometimes people just don't realise, but there's a time, a place and a way of doing it, and respect is the bottom line.

I also agree that there are very important choices that you can make - whether as a meat-eater or a vegetarian/vegan - regarding the origin of your food. Mass-produced vegetable products are probably more wasteful than local farm-bred chickens, although I have of course not bothered to check the validity of that statement at all ;)  Buy local if you can, buy in season, and just put a bit of thought into it - I guess that's the least you can do for your body.

#1267 Fiat Lupi.

Fiat Lupi.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

I definitely think there is a right way to incorporate meat into your diet. It's just a shame people prefer cheap, quick food in ridiculous portions. Hell, even just cutting down consumption to the proper 8oz. portion would be a huge reduction of meat most people's diets.

As for me, I'm not fully veg but the amount of meat I consume has been drastically reduced. Honestly, it's more because my taste has changed over the years and I just don't care for it much anymore. It's also difficult to know what to trust. I watched Food, Inc. a while ago as well as read The Omnivore's Dilemma and afterwards I was like... Well what the hell CAN I buy at the grocery store???

#1268 meganfrommars6277

meganfrommars6277

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

i'm 15, and i want to be a vegetarian, but my mum won't let me because then she would have to cook seperate food for me to my family. i only eat beef though, because i eat meat substitutes instead for everything else. i can't look at the links, so can someone tell me how it helps the environment?:)

#1269 aleerpsoftware

aleerpsoftware

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

i'm not a vegan.. but neither a vegetarian..

but i love to eat vegetables than meat..

meat makes me weak at times.. :lol:

#1270 missprovehitoinaltum

missprovehitoinaltum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:32 AM

I'm not a vegetarian, but i only eat meat once or twice a weak.

Just because i don't like all the crap they feed the animals.

#1271 p.i.a.

p.i.a.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

I'm  18 and a vegetarian, but only since a year ago ;-) my mom and sis are also veg :-) i think it's just not necessary to eat meat..

#1272 Draco Rattus

Draco Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I was vegetarian for years, then ate meat for a few months - but my body can't seem to process meat any more.  It actually makes me ill.

I've been vegan for about three months now, and the weight is still dropping off.  Mmmm, houmous.

#1273 Kamiii

Kamiii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

View Postanoukhollywood, on 30 November 2011 - 03:32 AM, said:

I'm not a vegetarian, but i only eat meat once or twice a weak.

Just because i don't like all the crap they feed the animals.
i'm like you!

#1274 ashmash_turtle

ashmash_turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'm not vegan/vegetarian but only because my mom won't buy separate food just for me. I try to eat vegetarian options wherever I can and as soon as I get a job/move out, I'll turn vegetarian. I've told her before that I want to become vegetarian but she said it was "silly"... Okay, mom.

#1275 Julchen

Julchen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostDraco Rattus, on 11 December 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

I was vegetarian for years, then ate meat for a few months - but my body can't seem to process meat any more.  It actually makes me ill.

I've been vegan for about three months now, and the weight is still dropping off.  Mmmm, houmous.

I actually stopped eating meat because it made me sick every time I ate it. I felt so much better after stopping and I became healthier.

since I moved out to another city I've almost become vegan because cheese and milk are too expensive to buy for only one person (IMO). I rather buy vegetables and fruits instead. I also started losing weight (which makes my Mom go crazy about my health  :rolleyes: )

Also, I'm really fed up with people making fun of me for being a vegetarian. Worst joke ever: You're eating my foods' food (do you say it like that in English?) I always wonder if those people actually know what most cows, pigs etc are fed to become fat enough for meat production

#1276 SSara

SSara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I've been demi-vegetarian for 4 years now, I eat fish and chicken in other words but sometimes I think about quit eating chicken. I quit eat meat because I thought it was disgusting, aaand I know it's strange that I still eat at least chicken if I find red meat disgusting but like I said I'm thinking about quit eat it, too. =P

#1277 Apeppe

Apeppe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

This is the proper blog for anybody who desires to search out out about this topic. You understand a lot its almost exhausting to argue with you (not that I really would need?HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just nice!

#1278 Fedra

Fedra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'll be 16 in 20 days and insted of getting a scooter i diceded to become a vegetarian.
Good for the enviornment and my money ;d yust kidding.
No, really, the reason I wanted to become a vegetarian is becaus i realy love animals, i never ate horse meat bcause i've been horseriding since I was 7-8 jears old and i want to do something good for the planet.
So on my birthday i'm totaly getting rid of meat, i'll have to coock for myself since my parents don't want to coock annything special for me but I'm okay with that, it'll help me grow up and become more independant.
I think it won't be a problem quitting, and if it is a problem i can always count on 30 STM for a great example, Jared.
So anyways the forum helped me a lot thank u guys !

#1279 Fedra

Fedra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Today: first day as a vegetarian , let's do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

#1280 Lemi

Lemi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm vegetarian for a few weeks now and I have no problems with it, so I guess I'll go on like that. And I don't eat eggs, but I never did, so it's easy for me. ;) But honestly I can't imagine living vegan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users