1303 replies to this topic

#1 ShariBlackVelvet

ShariBlackVelvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

Since it's better for the environment to be vegan (or vegetarian), I figured there should be a thread in this section (I know there are related topics elsewhere, but I think A Beautiful Lie needs one) about veganism or vegetarianism. How about some posts about who's vegan or veggie, how long for, whether you might be tempted to go either to help the environment and those on it, or something similar.

There are many pages online about how being vegan or veggie can help save the environment - such as:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/environment.html

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/environment/

http://www.vegan.org/about_veganism/environment.html

http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv83/vv83env.html

Shari Black Velvet
www.blackvelvetmagazine.com

And yes, I'm vegan.

#2 MB13

MB13

Off With Her Head...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,823 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

i don't have anything against vegans or vegetarians or whatever the fuck else they are, but seriously, come on with this bullshit.

#3 sasvata

sasvata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

hmm... I don't understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian (I know... my english sucks, I'm sorry... dry.gif )
but i'm veg (don't eat meat or fish, very few eggs -just in cakes.. rolleyes.gif - some cheese from time to time) since I'm 14... and I'm now 26
It's hard for non-veg to imagine wht it is like to be veg, and what we eat... have you ever faced tht situation? The worst is when they invite you for dinner... that's when I realize that it's just weird for people...

#4 ShariBlackVelvet

ShariBlackVelvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(sasvata @ Feb 1 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm... I don't understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian (I know... my english sucks, I'm sorry... dry.gif )
but i'm veg (don't eat meat or fish, very few eggs -just in cakes.. rolleyes.gif - some cheese from time to time) since I'm 14... and I'm now 26
It's hard for non-veg to imagine wht it is like to be veg, and what we eat... have you ever faced tht situation? The worst is when they invite you for dinner... that's when I realize that it's just weird for people...

Vegan is eating no meat or any other animal products (ie. eggs, milk, gelatin, shellac), and wearing or using no animal products either (ie. no wool, silk, leather).

Vegetarian is just eating no meat.

#5 Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*

Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

look, let me make something abundantly clear for people
that are so bereft of activities
they feel like they gotta comment on mine
first of all being a vegetarian should never be associated
with being a revolutionary or being open-minded
that's a dietary choice
if someone wants to proliferate the type of ignorance we're supposed to be fighting by thinking that,
you're just fucking yourself
I don't go around promoting beef and poultry shoving it in people's faces
I don't castigate people for not eating steak sandwiches;
and I would never diss someone for being a fucking broccoli-head,
or living off of radishes,
or eating grass or tofu
I like a lot of vegan cuisine
but the illogicality of expecting
everyone to adopt their particular idea of what being healthy is
is just preposterous

I've seen some of you herbivores;
and if you want to argue health,
y'all need to eat some kind of supplement
because some of y'all are so skinny
that it's disgusting; looking like the
only hip-hop motherfuckers on Schindler's List
being a malnutrition-ass got nothing to do
with being revolutionary or being on-point
I'll be damned if I let somebody else push their agenda on me

you know I don't eat pork,
not because I'm a Muslim, I just don't
really like it,
but I really will fuck a bird up
and fish is good when that shit is fresh it's like my nigga Vast Aire from Can Ox said
if you don't like the smell of burning meat,
well then get the fuck off the planet
you know I don't criticize people for eating moss,
then don't open your fucking mouth
about my food, man
I like beef and broccoli motherfucker
mind your god-damn business
matter of fact... you know what?
I'm out. I feel like some
arroz con pollo, a banana daiquiri, and
a motherfucking bistec aponado

#6 KristinieC

KristinieC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

I'm at work so can't really read the links but how is being a vegan or vegetarian good for the environment? It's more of a diet then anything.

Edit: ^ Mary's Buddha beat me

I would be a full vegetarian but...... I like seafood too much. It's my weakness.

I hardly ever eat red met anyways, only at big family funcitons, and chicken like one meal out of a week. I'm hispanic and it's in our culture to eat a lot of meat.

#7 sasvata

sasvata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

QUOTE(ShariBlackVelvet @ Feb 1 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vegan is eating no meat or any other animal products (ie. eggs, milk, gelatin, shellac), and wearing or using no animal products either (ie. no wool, silk, leather).

Vegetarian is just eating no meat.

OK!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif  thanks for explaining smile.gif... so I guess i'm in the middle... blink.gif

to me, though, it's more a way of life... but i'm not trying to push it too hard. So i only eat what i want when i want (it's a grace i do never want meat... mellow.gif ........ laugh.gif ) I don't think abt it too much. So using animal products... I must say I don't go tht far (even if I don't like leather stuffs...) I guess it's just happening by itself after a while... huh.gif

#8 Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*

Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(KristinieC @ Feb 1 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be a full vegetarian but...... I like seafood too much. It's my weakness.

Goddamn right.  I love the smell of tuna and salmon, it's like fucking a personal heaven.

That, and my favorite food is a Subway tuna and turkey sandwich, with Swiss and American cheese, and lettuce and pickles.

#9 KristinieC

KristinieC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!

How can being a Vegan or Vegetarian be healthy for the environment???
You eat a lot of plants (salads, fruits, veggies) that actually produce Oxygen that combat the Carbon Dioxide. Photosynthesis anyone? (excuse any mis spellings please) For lots of fruits & veggies many cut the enitre plant down. So that in turn eliminates a plant that could of produced more Oxygen and help fght against Carbon Dioxide or "Greenhouse Gases"

And Cows produce Methane which is lethal.

So in reality we should eat more meat!

#10 shaunieys

shaunieys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

This is started to get over the top.

#11 Guest_Laikiska_*

Guest_Laikiska_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

I'd say eat whatever you want but in moderation. And don't waste food.

Btw, eating red meat every single day of the week is definitely not healthy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4088824.stm

And:

'Negative Health Effects of Red Meat
Regardless, nutritionists hardly need more evidence about the potentially negative health effects of eating red meat. For starters, the saturated animal fat in red meat contributes to heart disease and atherosclerosis. Recent research also shows that frequent red meat eaters face twice the risk of colon cancer as those who indulge less often. Red meat is also thought to increase the risks of rheumatoid arthritis and endometriosis.

Meanwhile, according to the American Dietetic Association, vegetarian diets can significantly reduce the risk of heart disease, colon cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, kidney disease, hypertension, obesity, and other debilitating medical conditions. While red meat is a key source of protein and vitamin B12 in North American diets, nutritionists explain that properly planned meat-free diets easily provide these important nutrients while keeping you healthier in the long run.'

(taken from this link:   http://environment.about.com/od/health/a/red_meat_mad.htm )

#12 ShariBlackVelvet

ShariBlackVelvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(KristinieC @ Feb 1 2008, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!

How can being a Vegan or Vegetarian be healthy for the environment???

Just read the links I gave. All the info is there.

#13 KristinieC

KristinieC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

^ to Laikiska

I know. When I first read about that when it all started coming out I cut my red meat in take.

#14 Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*

Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(ShariBlackVelvet @ Feb 1 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just read the links I gave. All the info is there.

So what would your ass do when everyone stops eating meat because "that's better for the environment" and you have deer, cows, and all kinds of shit running all over the place because no one kills and eats them?

#15 ShariBlackVelvet

ShariBlackVelvet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Mary'sBuddha @ Feb 1 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what would your ass do when everyone stops eating meat because "that's better for the environment" and you have deer, cows, and all kinds of shit running all over the place because no one kills and eats them?

There are only so many because people breed them for food. If they weren't bred for food there'd be a hell of a lot less.

Ok, for those who don't have time to click the links, here's a smaller quicker bit of info:

Five Good Reasons to Go Vegan for the Environment

1. Animal farming is responsible for 18 per cent of all global greenhouse gas emissions - far more than is generated by the transport sector.

2. On average, a dairy cow belches out 500 litres of methane a day. Removing meat and dairy products entirely from your diet could reduce individual carbon footprints from food by 50-60 per cent.

3. The liquid waste from dairy farms is hundreds of times more polluting than human sewage.

4. It takes a thousand litres of water to grow one kilo of wheat, 11,000 litres to grow feed for enough of a cow to make just one quarter-pound burger and between 2,000 and 4,000 litres for that cow to fill her udder with one litre of milk.

5. Animal farming uses 30 per cent of the earth’s entire land surface for grazing and for the vast amount of crops needed to feed them.

(from http://www.milliondo...at/archives/211)

#16 Guest_Laikiska_*

Guest_Laikiska_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

A snippet on methane: yes, a lot of it is generated through animal farming. But an almost equal amount is generated by organic decomposition and wetlands (this includes rice paddies).

Here's some good news re methane gas, for further reading click the link.

'And so what of the future? Over the last few years atmospheric methane concentrations have hardly changed. This is clearly good news for those worried about continued greenhouse warming, but until scientists understand why, there is no assurance that increased emissions won't resume. This stands as a clear reminder that we still do not know everything we need to about methane.'

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/features/methane/

Everyone going vegetarian would certainly change the world, but how.....? Eliminating all ruminant animals - this would include all deer, antilopes, gazelles, sheep, goats, etcetcetc (cos not only cattle chews the cud) - would rip a major hole into the food chain. And drying up all wetlands and rice paddies would cause not only millions of species of plants and animals to go extinct, it would certainly not have a positive effect on the world's climate either. Like I said before, eat a bit of everything you want, but in moderation.

#17 Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*

Guest_Mary'sBuddha_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

AWS YEAH, BRINGING OUT THE SKEWED REPRESENTATIONS!

1 - Where does the other 82% go to?

2 - If my carbon footprint is already low, dropping it by 1/2 or 3/5 would already make it possibly the lowest out of anyone on these forums.  That would only serve to make me even more better than all of you.  Do you really want that?

3 - What about smog from factories?  Widespread use of certain pesticides?  Oil dumping the ocean?

4 - If wheat takes that much water to grow, why the hell should humans be eating it instead of animals?

5 - How much does vegetable and fruit farming take up?  Agriculture is a wonderful thing.

#18 KristinieC

KristinieC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(ShariBlackVelvet @ Feb 1 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are only so many because people breed them for food. If they weren't bred for food there'd be a hell of a lot less.

My aunt & I read through the articles. While it's true that they bred them more b/c meat market has boomed so that causes more gases, my aunt said (and this made me just laugh) "you're still eating plants........"

I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians cause many of my friends are, but I don't think going either is helpful because, again, plants. We just need to cut back on our meat in take.

#19 scinsocal

scinsocal

All Access Pass (PA)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:47 AM

Why not make this thread into a recipes thread?

Being Vegan/Vegetarian can be pretty bland, so why not offer up some great menus?

I was taken to a great place on Robertson Blvd when Jen (jmig) was in town that had an amazing menu for the 'cause'.  I enjoyed what I had and was pleasantly surprised.

I will always be a meat eater.  I was born and raised in the South and when the ground is frozen in the winter, a big pot of Chili WITH meat hits the spot.  Summer bar-b-ques are nothing without meat.  Besides, the veggies fall through the grill on the Bar-B-Que.  dry.gif

#20 KristinieC

KristinieC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

^ sounds good. I've got tons of recepies I can share

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users