MARS: Origin Details, Symbols, Info, + More

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2756 replies to this topic

#1 MB13

MB13

Off With Her Head...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

I just spent all day making this thread, so please respect it. I know some of you newer members have to take a lot of crap by asking the same questions over and over so I gathered a lot of info for you kiddies in one thread. Hope this helps guys.

**It is ok if you borrow some of this info, but please give me credit. I worked real hard on this and don't want my intellectual property stolen. Thank you.

The meaning of everything ..the glyphics, [symbols] the Echelon, etc. Well, I decided to make a list exsplaining a few things to the some of the new people.

The Glyphs: [symbols]

They basicly represent the band
They are Ancient Hieroglyphics, they are actually made up i believe. and they
stand for the bands name. THIS is my interpertation...not confirmed as of yet. Some others hint and say they mean something else but i doubt it. They will always just mean the band 30STM to me.
Although, some say the glyphs def stand for the bands name. They say when you translate "Thirty Seconds to Mars" in egyptian hieroglyphics it comes up as those symbols.

I myself don't see it however. I also see the name LETO in the first symbol.there's an L - an E = a T and an O.

1st Symbol - intertwined 3's standing for 30.

2nd Symbol - Clock Hands pointing counterclockwise supposed to mean
Seconds.

3rd Symbol - An inverted Roman Numeral of 2 (to).

4th Symbol - Drawing of Mars. the two dots represent Phobos and Deimos,
Mars' moons

INTERESTED in the 4 little symbols on the insert of the first cd??

[and now the second one too? ] They are Iberian-Celtiberian alphabet, Alot of similarities. Check it out.

www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

THE BAND NAME
Why 30stm?

The name actually comes from a thesis that we found online it was written by a former Harvard professor. And one of the subsections of the thesis was titled 'thirty seconds to mars' and he goes on to talk about the expediential growth of technology that relates to humans and saying that we are quite literally thirty seconds to mars. what it means to us is, we thought it best described our music, in short.

The Phoenix (mythra)

A bird in Egyptian mythology that lived in the desert for 500 years and then consumed itself by fire, later to rise renewed from its ashes.

A person or thing of unsurpassed excellence or beauty; a paragon.

A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor.

It represents a lot. It means rebirth. It means great power. It means struggle.

In Astronomy:
Phoenix is one of the Southern Hemisphere constellations. The constellation is in fact rather like a large bird, rising into the air. The constellation has been known as "The Boat" by the Arabs. Itís a small constellation of approximately 450 squares placed in the south hemisphere that it crosses the parallel austral 50, which implies that it is observable in the southern hemisphere from the months of july to january culminating in the zenith; on the other hand, in the northern hemisphere it is visible only during October and November culminating to few degrees over the horizon.

The Pythagorus {Jared's guitar} believed to be named after one of his dogs.
{or vice versa]
Guitars, effects & pick ups::

Leto: Custom Built Mcswain Pythagoras
Milicevic: Gibson Les Paul Custom
Matt wachter: Matt plays G&L Basses
Shannon Leto plays: Electronics setup:

Roland td-8 module
4 roland pd-6 pads up front on the rack
3 roland pd-7on a stand where his china is next to his hi-hat
(uses one for his click track and the other two for sounds and one to start samples).
For pedals::
He uses Tama iron cobra bass drum pedal ( for each bassdrum, he uses 2) and a tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat stand.
Other Equipment used::
From drummer magazine: sonor drums with remo pinstripe heads and sabian cymbals, he uses a trio of snares in the studio including a ludwig black beauty, a noble and cooley and a vintage ludwig. He also plays two 20" bass drums. Says He likes the tones of two different drums. He has never had any drumming lessons.
Effects used

Leto: none

Milicevic:
Ernie Ball volume pedal, Digitech whammy pedal, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss Super Chorus, Boss Flanger, Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Strings

Leto: D'Addario
Milicevic: D'Addario

Jared uses a seymour duncan JB pickup on his McSwain custom built "Pythagorus" One open coil double humbucking pickup in the bridge position and one volume knob. They also use lots of Gibson SG guitars [with stock pickups].

It is a custom made Steve Mcswain Model with a pic of a gryphon { winged monster with an eagle-like head and body of a lion } jared drew it for him and he captured it to a T.

This new black one is believe to be named Artemis

The Echelon:
{UPDATE 10/10/06) Echelon has somewhat died down with the release of the new record. Although some still like to call themselves Echelon although it no longer is considered an elite team of people. Echelon is still echelon but in a different kind of way...it's just mainly the bands street team now.
What does the term Echelon mean::

It's a military term. Echelon means to attack in waves...it was used by Napoleon during the Napoleanic wars. The term was to attack "En Echelon', in waves. Echelon means waves, which would make sense in the song "Echelon" when the song goes "What's with the fascination with the Echelon".

The Echelon is also what the band Calls their street team and fans. There is a special section on the site just for echelon to talk of how they are promoting the band. Just like a regular street team work only better .
We are sometimes sent missions and such to promote the band And this is also where the band will post to update us on certain happenings..etc...
Tracy [AKA SYNTHETIC} is head street teamer now so all questions regarding the street team and promo ask her!

some are the MOST DEVOTED teamers I have EVER SEEN!
the MARS army [fan base] and we promote promote promote..it is what they do.
Join the Echelon now back up and running and taking recruits. HERE

Echelon: a formation of troops

The Acropolis:

The acropolis is the page where you go if you are ECHELON ONLY..it has a list of what the band wants us to do, make stuff, contests, News, Info, ect.... it also contains the password to echelon section of the board.
you can now join the:

NEW Newsletter LINK

newsletter signup

ECHELON
HERE

and the ACROPOLIS is HERE
PROVEHITO IN ALTUM::

Launch forth into the deep
reach for the heights

Is a Latin metaphor and can be translated in three different ways::
"March on into higher grounds"
"Launch forth into higher grounds"
"Launch forth into the deep"

THE ARROW::

The arrow is a visual representation for "Provehito in Altum." The progressive leap. "Launch forth into the unknown."

It is also the Norse rune for tyr/tiwaz [the Norse sky-god]

It means::
Honor, justice, leadership and authority. Analysis, rationality. Knowing where one's true strengths lie. Willingness to self-sacrifice. Victory and success in any competition or in legal matters. Tiwaz Reversed or Merkstave: One's energy and creative flow are blocked. Mental paralysis, over-analysis, over-sacrifice, injustice, imbalance. Strife, war, conflict, failure in competition. Dwindling passion, difficulties in communication, and possibly separation.

ARGUS APOCRAPHEX: [find the ARGUS APOCRAPHEX]
ARGOS: greek city near Mycenae and the name of the king's son too [Argos Panoptes, he was a giant with one hundred eyes and very effective guardian, since only some of his eyes were sleeping in every moment, there being always different still awake several. [Homer, The IlŪad ii.783]. Etymology, argos arg = bright [the same indo-european root that latin word -argentum [silver]

APOCRAPHEX: apocriphus, from the late Greek "AP”KRYPHOS", which in rigor means: " NOT INCLUDED IN THE CANON ", which takes us to the implicit sense of: "HIDDEN", "SECRET" ["APOKR›PTEIN" " APO - " far, "KR›PTEIN" to conceal] .
Later, apocriphus take the meaning of " NOT AUTHENTIC ", " NOT GENUINE " refering to writings, books.

TO THE KEEPERS OF THE GATE AND THE WARRIORS ... WE AWAIT,
references to "the keepers of the gate and the warriors" you can find in The Iliad, The bible, in many books of fantastic genre and even in films and games [Kagemusha; Warcraft.]

THE MESSAGE AT THE END OF the first CD [hidden track}

The message at the End of CD, {the struggle} It was lifted off Sun Tzu's "The Art of War." The website for the source is the following:

classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

Some laughter::

A military force established by deception of sense that you deceive enemies so that they do not know your real (revolution), and that they can establish supremacy. It is mobilized by a game in a sense that it goes into action when it sees an advantage, dividing the great bodies thought to confuse opponents and observe how they react to you so that they can adapt and situate and seize victory. Therefore when it moves swiftly it is like the ramp, when it goes slowly it is like the force. It is rapacious fire and immovable as mountains, and as swift as the wind yet it comes without a trace and withdraws like lightning and it is like a forest that isn't growing and is rapacious as fire across a plain, not leaving a single blade of grass .But as immovable as a mountain, it's hard to know as the dark ends up killing thunder. To ponder a locality to line up your troupes to expand your territory to buy the spoils. The rule for military operations is to feed of the enemy as much as possible however the localities where people do no have very much it is necessary to divide up the troupes into smaller groups to take what they need here and there. For when then and there, there will be enough..... Welcome to the Universe.

THE X =
The X hieroglyph basicly means to divide or multiply.....
it symbolizes union . This is why they use it... Echelon. amongxt other things. .....with the band it basicly symbolizes union.
{added} In nordic runes It also means "a gift from a chief to a loyal warrior or subject."
{credit to Shannons princess]

HOW COME I CAN'T UPLOAD AN AVATAR FROM MY MACHINE here?

answer::
Sorry, the administrator has that feature disabled at this time.
UPLOAD your pics you prefer to PHOTOBUCKET.COM or IMAGESHACK.COM and then add the URL to where it says add ONLINE image into box in your avatar area and walaaa, an avatar. OTHERWISE, you may choose from the gallery here. good luck.

First CD info:: S/T

Track list:: It also has some GREAT extra footage on it to put into your computer. Funny stuff. Check it out.
produced by Bob ezrin

01. Capricorn (A Brand New Name)
02. Edge Of The Earth
03. Fallen
04. Oblivion
05. Buddha For Mary
06. Echelon
07. Welcome To The Universe
08. The Mission
09. End Of The Beginning
10. 93 Million Miles
11. Year Zero
12. The Struggle - Hidden Track

The band name?

Shannon:: It comes from an old, old book. The Aggress Apocraphyx. Itís a quote in the book. Thatís where part of the name came from. Really itís about exponential growth in technology. Itís about that in society weíre in this constant state of projection that everything is ďNow, now, now, now.Ē Itís hard to retain any information with so many things coming at you. Itís really almost like weíre 30 seconds from Mars, conceptually speaking. There is a lot more than that entails. Itís big. Itís theatrical. It makes sense with the music, the way the name is and the music sounds.

Jared says: "For us, the name 30 Seconds To Mars has little to do with space, the universe or anything like that. It is a name that works on several different levels. Most importantly, it is a good representation of our sound. It's a phrase that is lyrical, suggestive, cinematic, and filled with immediacy. It has some sense of otherness to it. The concept of space is so overwhelming and all encompassing I doubt there is a song written that doesn't fall within it."

Why does the band choose to stay behind the scenes?

They want their music to be the primary means of reaching out to fans, so they want to stay behind the scenes and let their music speak for themselves. They probably don't want to use Jared Leto's popularity as an actor for the band to be popular.
Why is the song Revolution not included on their self-titled album?
According to the band, the song is not included because they think people take things too literally.

Does the band have any independent releases?

No, there was a rumor floating around that they have an independent release titled Welcome to the Universe. That is just the name that they were going to give their debut CD. 30 Seconds to Mars has only released one CD.

THE NEW RECORD A beautiful lie is out in stores now! GO BUY IT! It came out AUG 30TH 2005

How do you describe the band's music?

It's heavy, atmospheric, highly textured and a bit dark with soaring and hypnotic vocals. Most music sites and magazines have already branded their music as space-rock and compared them to bands like Tool, Pink Floyd, etc.

Has Jared Leto given up acting for the sake of the band?

No. He is currently still working on films.

Side notes and info on SL::

Shannon Leto is also a professional photographer and did all the shooting for the ST and various other projects. His work has also been published in magazines. He has also done some acting and just started writing and wrote a one hour drama for a cable tv station. Their mom [constance leto] is also into photography, graphic design, and music.
Cameras used and what he shoots
He shoots medium format Hasselblad. he has a digital SLR now. He has a Nikon F4. Shannons SLR is a Nikon D-70.. he just got, for a present, and a Yoshika instamatic. He has been shooting since he was a young boy. He says he loves Nikon. But theyíre tanks. he grew up with Nikon. Canon, he says he hasnít really touched upon yet. But says he has nothing against them.[lol]

Where are 30 Seconds To Mars from?

The band is from CA, NOW
Jared and Shannon are from Bossier City, Louisiana and everywhere else!
Tomo is from michigan
Matt is from the massachussetts new jersey area.

I heard that 30STM were a 5-member band, is it true?

Yes, they were, guitarist Kevin Drake left the band in June/July 2002 due to personal issues.

Where does the song inspiration come from?

Jared: Everything on this album is about real human experience. That is the single most inspiring source for us, the human struggle. Lyrically, it's a very personal album that sometimes uses otherworldly elements and/or conceptual ideas to illustrate a truthful personal situation.

I've found some songs on the net which are not on the debut CD, are they rare or unreleased tracks?

Some of the songs on the debut CD had different names before the CD was finalized. These are not demos or rare tracks. The songs are still the same even though their names were changed. There is one track that didn't make it on the album. It is called Revolution. You can download it from this site in the audio section.

What were their musical influences?

Jared mentions Pink Floyd, The Cure, Bjork, Rush, The Who and Depeche Mode.

What's the meaning of "Der Kopf des Schweins"?

You'll find a video at the official site which is called this way....Der Kopf des Schweins is German and means the head of the pig.

See exclusive video here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejYfl_bu84M

What's "Mokushiro"

Another official exclusive site video. Also know as as the struggle...Mokushiroku is a Japanese word and means Apocalypse and you can aslo watch it exclusivly here.
Another official exclusive site video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrnalEtw84

BAND MEMBERS

Jared Leto = Vocals, guitar, programing
Shannon Leto = drums
Matt Wachter = Bass, keyboards, synths
Tomo Milicevic = Guitar , keyboards , synths

Former guitarist Solon Bixler toured with the band until jan. of 2002 and then was replaced by Mr. Tomo Milicevic that hailed from Michigan who was in a band called MORPHIC
Bixler was in a band called Earlimart and great northern. {last i knew} Earlimart has now disbanded.

There was also another guitarist named kevin drake that left in 2002 as well due to personal issues as i stated.

What are the birthdates of the band members?

Jared Leto's is dec 26th: 1971 {he's going to be 35}

Matt's is jan. 5th: 1976 {he's 30 now i think}

Shannon Leto's: march 9th , 1970? {36}

Tomo Milicevic: September 3rd, 1979 {27}

I believe these are all correct and accurate.
Shannon is the oldest.

A List of the songs and their old names

Praying for a riot = 7 corners[hehe]
Jupiter = Fallen
The Reckoning = Oblivion
Hero = Year Zero
End of the beginning= used to be called absolution and had a few different lyrics [thanks EIE]

Phase 1 fortification = Bonus track only on the U.K. single for Capricorn.
Valhalla = Unreleased track. Early 1998 Demo.
Anarchy in Tokyo = Bonus track on the Japanese version of the self titled album.
Revolution = Unreleased track early demo
Occams razor = unreleased track early demo

And please feel free to join the bands OFFICIAL my space page.

Official 30stm my space page

THE OTHERS SONGS ARE NOT AVAILABLE unless you ask someone for them.
The band does not want them out there for some reason!
YOU CAN ALSO OBTAIN ALL ACOUSTIC tracks from radio interviews, videos and such at
Jared leto.org In the media / audio section.

Was it a dream, attack, capricorn, etc... capricorn vid, Edge of the earth video.

And please make sure to visit one of the best 30STM sites on the net::

A BATTLE OF ONE for all up to date info, audio, news, Pictures, etc...

ANOTHER amazing site put together by Rich & Shelly with tons of info and great stuff as well!

www.30secondstomars.ca

The band has 6 official videos available::

From the S/T cd::

Capricorn

Edge of the earth

From ABL::

ATTACK

THE KILL

From yesterday

The band has also re-released ABL and there is also now another very special CD/dvd package release of ABL available with lots of good stuff! Video, interviews, much more.

UPDATED 8/26
Skull symbolism

Apparently the band has begun using a new logo instead of the PHOENIX with the release of the new record "A BEAUTIFUL LIE".
UPDATED, They have now incorporated the 2 and this one is now called THE TRINITY SEAL.

While the band has not yet commented or confirmed on why they choose the symbolism of SKULLS or trinity seal for the new cd I decided to put this great read on skull symbolism i found.
It's very interesting and may give alot of ideas on why they have chosen the skull as a new updated logo.

INTERESTING READ ON SKULL SYMBOLISM

ABL CD COVER FRONT

ABL CD COVER BACK
TRACKLIST:: produced by::Josh Abraham.

1. Attack
2. A Beautiful Lie
3. The Kill
4. Was It A Dream?
5. The Fantasy
6. Savior
7. From Yesterday
8. The Story
9. R-Evolve
10. A Modern Myth
11. Battle of One
12. Hunter [bjork cover]
UPDATE 9/5/2005

PLEASE NOTE::
ATTENTION:: HOW TO GET THE MUSIC TO YOUR I-POD

1) ON the NEW CD ABL Use the included software on the CD
to copy the tracks to your hard drive.
Get a blank CD and use your CD burning
software to create an Audio CD from the newly
created tracks on your hard drive. Open iTunes.
Import the tracks from the newly burned CD.

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU PLEASE GO LOOK ::

HERE

HERE

AND HERE

GOOD LUCK!

GO SEE IF WRISTBANDS ARE IN STOCK.. They make great gifts! Check out all the other great things in the 30stm store!

BUY THEM HERE!
ONLINE STORE

CONGRATS to the band on TWO VMA nominations! They won the MTV2 AWARD. YAYYYYYYY!!! They lost the mtv one but there's always next time! CELEBRATE VICTORY
Congrats to the band:: ABL has now gone platnium

OVER 5 hundred thousand copies sold!! WHHOO HAAAA

#2 zigkiss

zigkiss

Zeke and Zola rock my world \m/

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Mike! biggrin.gif

#3 apocalyptica

apocalyptica

MARRY ME MARRY ME

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:42 PM

lmao oh god

#4 summer1

summer1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

Isn't he cute????

#5 Diane666

Diane666

QUEEN of the banned, coming soon to a theater near you..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

you forgot some stuff.  laugh.gif

#6 ~Ani~

~Ani~

Is this who you are...?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,989 posts

Excellant post, mike.  Are you feeling okay...? unsure.gif

#7 neogeo

neogeo

:(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Thanks Mike, that was a lotta hard work you put in. I appreciate that.

#8 Snowfizz

Snowfizz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Wow Mike, that is a great job.

#9 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

oh, you!

#10 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

Don't feed the mikebrooke!

#11 pale_existence

pale_existence

Mines bigger...trust me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

^ laugh.gif laugh.gif

#12 niniel

niniel

It took a moment and ...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

Mike, great job! smile.gif
I'm under impression!
Two topics for newbies are on the board now tongue.gif That's cool biggrin.gif

#13 MB13

MB13

Off With Her Head...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

No problem guys! I just figured that this board has given me so much love and friendship over the years that it was time to give something back to the board. I worked really hard to give the new members a good thread where they can have their curiosities answered. God, I love them lil newbs so much. Always so cute and cuddly, geez I just wanna eat em all up. I just really hope this thread helps everyone. So, thanks for all the kind words fellow echelon members, I love you all!

#14 HipMomster

HipMomster

Certifiably not insane....for reals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(mikebrooke @ Dec 8 2006, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem guys! I just figured that this board has given me so much love and friendship over the years that it was time to give something back to the board. I worked really hard to give the new members a good thread where they can have their curiosities answered. God, I love them lil newbs so much. Always so cute and cuddly, geez I just wanna eat em all up. I just really hope this thread helps everyone. So, thanks for all the kind words fellow echelon members, I love you all!

LMAO

#15 cinkitten

cinkitten

Look closer...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

*wipes the sweat from mike's brow* smile.gif

QUOTE(mikebrooke @ Dec 8 2006, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why does this make me flinch?

#16 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(cinkitten @ Dec 8 2006, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does this make me flinch?

I know what you are talking about....

#17 paramour

paramour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(mabo @ Dec 8 2006, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what you are talking about....

...i yam seeing double.  huh.gif

...i'm scared.

#18 Coveter of Dreams

Coveter of Dreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

Looks like this post took a lot of work.  
Great job...it was very informative.

#19 mabo

mabo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Coveter of Dreams @ Dec 8 2006, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like this post took a lot of work.  
Great job...it was very informative.

it didn't...  wink.gif

#20 MB13

MB13

Off With Her Head...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

Please don't try to belittle my efforts.