book recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
993 replies to this topic

#1 serenity

serenity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

My friend received this book as an x-mas gift, read it, bought five copies of it and handed me one. She told me it was a great read. yadda yadda, there's thousands of books and writers out there (none which has ever held my attention as this one). After a few weeks of seeing it laying on my shelf I decided to check it out last night. It's a very intense read and I literally couldn't put it down. I read around 200 pages and finally had to stop because it was approaching midnight. It's an autobiography of a 23 year old male recovery addict. Although, I've heard people say it's really a farce and that the book is fiction. I wouldn't recommend it to a younger audience, but I do highly recommend this book!

#2 BassetCase

BassetCase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(serenity @ Jan 13 2006, 10:46 AM)

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
My friend received this book as an x-mas gift, read it, bought five copies of it and handed me one. She told me it was a great read. yadda yadda, there's thousands of books and writers out there (none which has ever held my attention as this one). After a few weeks of seeing it laying on my shelf I decided to check it out last night. It's a very intense read and I literally couldn't put it down. I read around 200 pages and finally had to stop because it was approaching midnight. It's an autobiography of a 23 year old male recovery addict. Although, I've heard people say it's really a farce and that the book is fiction. I wouldn't recommend it to a younger audience, but I do highly recommend this book!

Yeah, I saw something on the news about that last night.  People are saying the guy made a lot of the stuff up.  If it is a good read then who cares??!!

#3 serenity

serenity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

it's captivating.

#4 MB13

MB13

Off With Her Head...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,823 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

reading is for stupid people

#5 Jacqueline2

Jacqueline2

Will you swear on your life that no one will cry at my funeral?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(mikebrooke @ Jan 13 2006, 04:07 PM)
reading is for stupid people

I am not stupid and I love to read. How insulting tongue.gif.

#6 Dr. Frostbite

Dr. Frostbite

01000110 01100001 01101001 01101100

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

The Art of Drowning.

It's a book of poetry..but it's good.

#7 Roxana

Roxana

Spouse Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  It's fantasy, but lots of dark magic and gory war.  

Also, Complications:  A Surgeon's Note on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande is wonderful book about the personal struggles of a surgeon during training in residency.  Very very interesting.

#8 Dr. Frostbite

Dr. Frostbite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Roxana @ Jan 13 2006, 12:55 PM)
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.  It's fantasy, but lots of dark magic and gory war. 

Also, Complications:  A Surgeon's Note on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande is wonderful book about the personal struggles of a surgeon during training in residency.  Very very interesting.

YES. My favorite book was "STONE OF TEARS". I still think they should have more CHASE in the book. I mean,the way STONE OF TEARS opened up with the whole screeling encounter was fucking awesome.

That and Chandalen is the man. I want choking wires.

#9 Roxana

Roxana

Spouse Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Dr. Frostbite @ Jan 13 2006, 11:57 AM)
YES. My favorite book was "STONE OF TEARS". I still think they should have more CHASE in the book. I mean,the way STONE OF TEARS opened up with the whole screeling encounter was fucking awesome.
That and Chandalen is the man. I want choking wires.

That's funny that you say that because I'm currently reading the whole series over again and I'm in the beginning of Stone of Tears.  Chase is great, I love him.  Also, my other favorite characters are Cara the mordsith and Nathan.  I love Terry Goodkind, I've been reading him since this series came out.

#10 ande

ande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC

#11 JthomasZ

JthomasZ

I found you, you fuck.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

ive heard about a million little pices i wanted to read it, oprah said it was good so it must be, right?

#12 Dr. Frostbite

Dr. Frostbite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(Roxana @ Jan 13 2006, 01:03 PM)
That's funny that you say that because I'm currently reading the whole series over again and I'm in the beginning of Stone of Tears.  Chase is great, I love him.  Also, my other favorite characters are Cara the mordsith and Nathan.  I love Terry Goodkind, I've been reading him since this series came out.

I wish warren was still alive.  mellow.gif

I felt very bad for Verna.

Darken Rahl > Jagang.

#13 Roxana

Roxana

Spouse Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Dr. Frostbite @ Jan 13 2006, 12:29 PM)
I wish warren was still alive.  mellow.gif
I felt very bad for Verna.
Darken Rahl > Jagang.

I know, poor Warren.  Darken Rahl was cooler than Jagang, but I think Jagang is a lot more twisted.  

There's a new book in the series, but I haven't gotten it yet.  I wonder if Goodkind will ever let Richard or Kahlan die.  His plots aren't very predictable, but I always know they will live.

#14 Quila

Quila

Http://VanessaAlexandra.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Sadako and The Thousand Paper Cranes.

I read this book when I was in 5th grade and I read it again recently, and it once again managed to depress the hell out of me. But even though it's incredibly sad, it's such a good book..

#15 Dr. Frostbite

Dr. Frostbite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(Roxana @ Jan 13 2006, 01:44 PM)
I know, poor Warren.  Darken Rahl was cooler than Jagang, but I think Jagang is a lot more twisted. 

There's a new book in the series, but I haven't gotten it yet.  I wonder if Goodkind will ever let Richard or Kahlan die.  His plots aren't very predictable, but I always know they will live.

Well, jagang is cool--but after seeing his little relationship with the former Sister of Dark, I just thought "Oh, man...what a punk!". Darken Rahl would have just raped her over and over and killed her afterwards. I mean, this dude instilled so much fear that Mord-Sith fucking cried at the thought of him. Now THATS BAD ASS.

Warren was awesome. It kinda sucks how a lot of main characters die in the most spastic and random ways. Like that catherine woman (I think thats her name) whom Nathan rescued from Renwold. That was one big "OKAY WTF?! YOU BUILT HER CHARACTER UP ONLY TO HAVE HER DIE LIKE NOTHING?!"

#16 swedish/match

swedish/match

Life is a perpetual drunkenness

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

Anyone read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk? I just ordered it, so dont tell me that it sucks, tell me how brilliant it is.

#17 serenity

serenity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

awesome  ^ those all sound like great books

the last book I read was  'discovery of heaven' by mulisch, a dutch writer (i think), it was pretty good. I was recommended to read 'disappearance of the universe' by the same person who suggested I  check out 'a million little pieces'.

#18 cleve the ripper

cleve the ripper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(swedish/match @ Jan 13 2006, 11:59 AM)
Anyone read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk? I just ordered it, so dont tell me that it sucks, tell me how brilliant it is.

It was no fight club.  I think that was a fluke.  I have not enjoyed any of his other books as much as fight club.  But choke was better than lullaby.  Chuck did this short story for Playboy that was so insane, about a boy that gets stuck on the drain while masturbating underwater in the deep end of a pool.  I cringe just remembering the story.

#19 spron

spron

www.shadingthesun.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

THE DARK TOWER SERIES

by

STEPHEN KING

#20 spron

spron

www.shadingthesun.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

Re: Choke

Choke was probably his worst book, but it was still good.

Lullaby was my favorite. Then Invisible Monsters. Then Fight Club. Then Diary. Then Survivor.