book recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
993 replies to this topic

#981 SSara

SSara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates

(and now I'm gonna read all of your recomendations 'cause I have hard finding good books)

#982 J30STM

J30STM

"Rock - Paper - Scissors - Lizard - Spock"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

A Song Of Ice And Fire Series by George R.R. Martin now known as Game Of Thrones from HBO.
I love the show, but books are better. Just started on Book one & loving it

#983 shannon leto's lezbean

shannon leto's lezbean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostJ30STM, on 15 April 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

A Song Of Ice And Fire Series by George R.R. Martin now known as Game Of Thrones from HBO.
I love the show, but books are better. Just started on Book one & loving it

I just finished it!! About to start on book 2 :D

#984 J30STM

J30STM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

View Postshannon leto, on 15 April 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

I just finished it!! About to start on book 2 :D
I hate having to read the book while also watching the show in it's second season...but I honestly cant wait till I get home, so I can see what will happen in episode 3 ;)

Have fun reading!

#985 BeanDubh

BeanDubh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

*Also reading book 2 in A song of fire And ice* lol
i tried looking back to see if Anyone else had ever mentioned this, but im coming up with nothing.
or im just too lazy to search every post
hell i may have even posted this myself once who knows
but i *HIGHLY* recommend reading the kingkiller chronicles by patrick rothfuss
for those of us into the epic fantasy genre
only 2 books so far in the series, the name of the wind, And the wise mans fear
completely Amazing

#986 Citizen Erased

Citizen Erased

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

I just read 1984 not too long ago, it's a masterpiece but somewhat hard to read. As in, it took me a few times through to really understand it.

#987 shannon leto's lezbean

shannon leto's lezbean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostJ30STM, on 16 April 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I hate having to read the book while also watching the show in it's second season...but I honestly cant wait till I get home, so I can see what will happen in episode 3 ;)

Have fun reading!

oh, i will. and i'm also watching the series as i can...episode 3 has just cemented my love for tyrion that much more :lol:

View PostCitizen Erased, on 20 April 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

I just read 1984 not too long ago, it's a masterpiece but somewhat hard to read. As in, it took me a few times through to really understand it.

i remember reading about it in high school. i remember liking it but then i don't remember the series of events, lol. maybe i'll try to read it again and see what i liked about it :)

#988 J30STM

J30STM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

View Postshannon leto, on 20 April 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

oh, i will. and i'm also watching the series as i can...episode 3 has just cemented my love for tyrion that much more :lol:
Hahaha Yup, he is a sly little chap I am liking more & more.

Have you seen preview for Ep 4? Damn that will be a nailbiter!! I had no idea I could hate Joffrey that much...3 more hours till I can watch that one...

Am loving the book btw. Have received "A Dance with Dragons" Saturday, so have the series complete till book 6&7 are officially out later :)

#989 shannon leto's lezbean

shannon leto's lezbean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostJ30STM, on 23 April 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Hahaha Yup, he is a sly little chap I am liking more & more.

Have you seen preview for Ep 4? Damn that will be a nailbiter!! I had no idea I could hate Joffrey that much...3 more hours till I can watch that one...

Am loving the book btw. Have received "A Dance with Dragons" Saturday, so have the series complete till book 6&7 are officially out later :)

i just watched the newest episode last night. omg :lol:

but the 2nd book is dragging a bit. i understand why all the stuff is in there but it's still dragging, lol.

another book i'd suggest is The Serial Killers Club by Jeff Povey. it's sadistic but hilarious :)

#990 Aneczka

Aneczka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm finishing 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson - it's kinda guide book on science, informative but fun to read, written by non-scientist for ordinary people.

*Random science fact I learned from it today: how fast man's beard grows partially depends on how often that man thinks about sex (because thinking about sex causes increased production of testosterone :P

#991 J30STM

J30STM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postshannon leto, on 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

i just watched the newest episode last night. omg :lol:

but the 2nd book is dragging a bit. i understand why all the stuff is in there but it's still dragging, lol.

another book i'd suggest is The Serial Killers Club by Jeff Povey. it's sadistic but hilarious :)
Have you seen last Sunday's episode...in the 1st 3 minutes I went to WTF  :o  Loved seeing a bit more from Drogon & Khaleesi.
Love it!

Still on Book One as I don't have a lot of time to read sadly..

Another recommendation from my side is: "Bone by Bone" by Carol O'Connell if you are into thrillers. Very good book , well written

#992 shannon leto's lezbean

shannon leto's lezbean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostJ30STM, on 01 May 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Have you seen last Sunday's episode...in the 1st 3 minutes I went to WTF  :o  Loved seeing a bit more from Drogon & Khaleesi.
Love it!

Still on Book One as I don't have a lot of time to read sadly..

Another recommendation from my side is: "Bone by Bone" by Carol O'Connell if you are into thrillers. Very good book , well written

omg yes! i was so mad by the end of that ep though because of what happened! LOL

keep going, it's totally worth it! book 2 is a little boring in the middle but i think i've gotten past it and now it's getting very very interesting...the 2nd season switches the scenes around more but in a good way so that people don't get bored watching as much as reading :lol:

i'll have to check that one out! sounds good :) i like thrillers/mysteries/horror :D

#993 BeanDubh

BeanDubh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

View Postshannon leto, on 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

omg yes! i was so mad by the end of that ep though because of what happened! LOL

keep going, it's totally worth it! book 2 is a little boring in the middle but i think i've gotten past it and now it's getting very very interesting...the 2nd season switches the scenes around more but in a good way so that people don't get bored watching as much as reading :lol:

i'll have to check that one out! sounds good :) i like thrillers/mysteries/horror :D
lol just remember...Around page 700 in book 2...soooooooooo goooooooodddd! lolol
im feeling rather sad now that ive finished book 2 though, ive become more And more disappointed with the show
BUT
i do understand how impossible it is to have it be exact And in order to save time/money/hiring out extras for bit parts to fill the roles its much much easier to cut, condense, change scenes with characters
i do
i understand
lol
but SOME things should not be changed heheheh

#994 SSara

SSara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

I just finished Paulo Coelho The Devil And Miss Prym and I remembered after a couple of pages why I never read any more books by him after my first experience with The Alchemist a few years ago! Sorry to say but I don't think he is such a good writer as people claim he is, in my opinion. But I do recommend this book if you like these kind of books, that is all about life decisions. (Which you kind of already know, you don't really need someone to write a story about it) :rolleyes: