Weightloss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#81 moons_affair

moons_affair

everyone's doing it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:42 AM

I'm seeing a lot of bad advice here.
If you want honest answers, see a doctor AND a personal trainer.  Consults should be free for both.
Both will also tell you skipping meals is bad.  Vomitting is bad.  Wanting to lose weight when you weigh 100 pounds is bad.  Punishing yourself is bad.

Do it right and you will find yourself successfull.  Do it for the right reasons and you can't fail.

I didn't diet to lose weight.   I got out of the house because I wanted to be free.  The less I focused on numbers and the more I focused on choices to make myself happy, the easier this has become.

Damn.

On a positive note, I ran into an old flame today.  His jaw dropped when he saw me.  That moment was deifnitely a bonus.  It became priceless when I walked away.
Remember, if they can't know you and enjoy you as who you are, then they aren't worth your time when you become who you want to be.

#82 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

I believe in fasting about once or twice a year not for vanity but for health reasons.  It is suppose to cleanse all of the cells in the body as well as get rid of waste in the intestinal area..   I do this as healthy as possible.  I am hoping it will get me focused on a new way of eating not just the diet mentality.....

#83 jenwilson

jenwilson

Whatever...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(beautifulsoul @ Sep 14 2005, 12:40 AM)
I know this is a very widely talked about subject but I would like to know if anyone is trying to lose weight?  Let's support one another here.  I personally have been trying forever and cannot seem to master actually doing it.  I lose five pounds and then I gain 10.  I wish I had the discipline to do it.  Also if you have lost weight and succeeded can you share that here.  I think it helps to have inspiration.  I love hearing about others successes and how you actually decided that enough is enough!  So please post away...

The most important thing to remember when losing weight, the first few pounds are always water weight. After, you start putting on a few pounds because if you are exercising hard or doing anything with muscle building, muscle weighs more than fat. I have tried so many diets and I will tell you honestly. There is only ONE real way to lose weight. For good.

Control your eating portions, and exercise daily.

I know that may not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Like it or not it takes a while to drop the pounds. You have to have dicipline and the will to keep going. But I promise, if you do it my way, the long term results are so much more rewarding....and permanent.

Exercise isn't a solution, it's a lifestyle.

I am currently 130lbs
I was 175lbs

Trust me, you can do it!

#84 mwilliams1319

mwilliams1319

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

I agree with phoenix1.  If you try to lose weight, do it for the right reasons.  Do it for yourself and your health.  Everything else is just a happy bonus.  Since I started, I noticed that I have more energy, I sleep better, and I have more confidence.  

The bonuses just make even better, like being able to wear a size 12, which I haven't done since high school, and to have my crush notice and comment on how good I look.

All the work I have done has been in a healthy way.  It's taken me 6 months to lose 30 pounds and I have another 20 to go.  You have to commit to making a change in the way you eat and exercise.  Fresh fruits and veggies are important.  Homecooked food is better than eating out all the time, you can control what goes into your meal.  Don't deny yourself what you like, just limit the portions.  Watch what you eat, and how much.  I still eat ice cream and have starbucks, but I get it as non-fat, or low-fat.  If I over eat, I just add on additional cardio or weights to help balance it out.  Once you get in a routine, you'll find working out can be therepudic, and sometimes enjoyable.  I will just hope onto the treadmill, turn on 30STM and go.  It helps me to clear my mind and not dwell on the issues in my life.

I hope this helps anyone who is working towards a goal.  Again, numbers shouldn't be your main focus.  Look at the energy you gain, the confidence, the health first, numbers second.  Also, you can't look at the numbers on the scale.  They don't take into account how much muscle you have gained.  Just your overall weight.

Good luck to you.

#85 Salisobres

Salisobres

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Also, you can't look at the numbers on the scale. They don't take into account how much muscle you have gained. Just your overall weight.

I know. Those damn numbers are so insensitive sometimes.  sad.gif

#86 yougotbadtaste

yougotbadtaste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Bumping this thread cause I need advice and help.

#87 SoNOTaEmoGirl96

SoNOTaEmoGirl96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

I NEED to loose weight. I don't have the drive though and get bored easily.

IT'S NOT EASY FOR A 14 YEAR OLD!

#88 Lara

Lara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I exercise 7 days a week, for an hour....

One can walk, run, do cardio work at the gym....at ones own pace

Exercise gets the weight off...it works....

#89 emmaloves30stm

emmaloves30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (yougotbadtaste @ Jan 5 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bumping this thread cause I need advice and help.

When I was 17 years old (many years ago) I was diagnosed with Diabetes, which made me really poorly (kept fainting) and went to see a nutritionist about my diet. She gave some awesome advice and I lost quite a lot of weight (4 stone/56 pounds) and kept it off.
Half the battle to losing weight is do to for the right reasons. Do it for yourself not because you want to look skinny like the models in the magazine(they are all airbrushed anyway) or because someone has told you do it!

• Firstly she told me don't see as a 'diet'! Eating healthly should be life changing and not as a temporary measure.  Drink lots of water (at least 2 litres a day) and this will make it easier.
  • You should also try to exercise as well.  Even if it is a walk around your road/street, it will help.  If you find yourself eating when you are bored go read a book or listen to some music.
  • Do not skip meals or starve yourself as your body goes into 'survival' mode and so when you do eat your body turns the food automatically into bad fat and so it is harder to lose weight.
  • Set yourself small weight goals on agreed timescale so that it is easier to reach your overall weight loss goal. When you have reached these small goals, treat yourself to something (an item of clothing or jewellry) but not food.
  • Write everything done in a food diary for the first week before you have started to change things and see where you can change eating habits/heathier snacks. Try to stick to the recommended daily allowance for women/men for your country. (England it is 2000 calories/70g fat/6g salt for women).
  • The following bit really helped me as I am a sucker for crisps/chocolate. Everyday allow yourself +100 calories for chocolate/crisps/snacks which can be carried over to the next day.
  • Also remember that everyone has good and bad days! If you have a bad day it is not the end of the world just leave it in the past and start a fresh the next day.
Hope this helps you and other people. I just want to pass on my wisdom as I have tried and tested it!

#90 Lara

Lara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (emmaloves30stm @ Jan 14 2011, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was 17 years old (many years ago) I was diagnosed with Diabetes, which made me really poorly (kept fainting) and went to see a nutritionist about my diet. She gave some awesome advice and I lost quite a lot of weight (4 stone/56 pounds) and kept it off.
Half the battle to losing weight is do to for the right reasons. Do it for yourself not because you want to look skinny like the models in the magazine(they are all airbrushed anyway) or because someone has told you do it!

• Firstly she told me don't see as a 'diet'! Eating healthly should be life changing and not as a temporary measure.  Drink lots of water (at least 2 litres a day) and this will make it easier.
  • You should also try to exercise as well.  Even if it is a walk around your road/street, it will help.  If you find yourself eating when you are bored go read a book or listen to some music.
  • Do not skip meals or starve yourself as your body goes into 'survival' mode and so when you do eat your body turns the food automatically into bad fat and so it is harder to lose weight.
  • Set yourself small weight goals on agreed timescale so that it is easier to reach your overall weight loss goal. When you have reached these small goals, treat yourself to something (an item of clothing or jewellry) but not food.
  • Write everything done in a food diary for the first week before you have started to change things and see where you can change eating habits/heathier snacks. Try to stick to the recommended daily allowance for women/men for your country. (England it is 2000 calories/70g fat/6g salt for women).
  • The following bit really helped me as I am a sucker for crisps/chocolate. Everyday allow yourself +100 calories for chocolate/crisps/snacks which can be carried over to the next day.
  • Also remember that everyone has good and bad days! If you have a bad day it is not the end of the world just leave it in the past and start a fresh the next day.
Hope this helps you and other people. I just want to pass on my wisdom as I have tried and tested it!

I so agree with what you said!

Diets do not work at all but in fact increase weight, the initial weight loss is fluid...And as you correctly said.. ..starving oneself makes one put on weight, as you correctly said..your body stores more fat... and you also lose control and overeat...in the end.

I don't believe in the weight loss supplements out there...they are a waste of money...

Lots of water helps...it actually curbs your appetite, makes you feel full and cold water stimulates your metabolism.

Drinking water or even chewing gum actually stops hunger pangs...try it...

And I am a big believer in exercise...it is a simple formula...you burn what you eat when you work out...the more exercise the better for you and it helps prevent other health issues later in life...such as osteoporosis, diabetes, heart conditions ...

Also...don't deny yourself of bad food, it is okay to have a treat once a week...even 8 pieces of dark chocolate is okay....

It is all about moderation....!

People think weight loss is hard but it isn't and it is simple...it can be all in the mind.

And there are only a few  physical medical conditions that cause weight gain and of course genetics comes into play...and of course some medicines can make one put on weight but at the end of the day....it is all about balance...

#91 emmaloves30stm

emmaloves30stm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (Lara @ Jan 14 2011, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I so agree with what you said!

Diets do not work at all but in fact increase weight, the initial weight loss is fluid...And as you correctly said.. ..starving oneself makes one put on weight, as you correctly said..your body stores more fat... and you also lose control and overeat...in the end.

I don't believe in the weight loss supplements out there...they are a waste of money...

Lots of water helps...it actually curbs your appetite, makes you feel full and cold water stimulates your metabolism.

Drinking water or even chewing gum actually stops hunger pangs...try it...

And I am a big believer in exercise...it is a simple formula...you burn what you eat when you work out...the more exercise the better for you and it helps prevent other health issues later in life...such as osteoporosis, diabetes, heart conditions ...

Also...don't deny yourself of bad food, it is okay to have a treat once a week...even 8 pieces of dark chocolate is okay....

It is all about moderation....!

People think weight loss is hard but it isn't and it is simple...it can be all in the mind.

And there are only a few physical medical conditions that cause weight gain and of course genetics comes into play...and of course some medicines can make one put on weight but at the end of the day....it is all about balance...

I don't agree with the fad diets or weight loss supplements either, they never work and probably do more damage than good!

I have been put off to the gym around my area because they are full of the men that want to show their muscles off and the women who wear next to nothing and think they are god's gift! I also had an incident that involved a treadmill and me not paying attention properly at a gym and never want that to happen again! laugh.gif You can guess what happened!  I have though in my flat a cross trainer and I use that a lot.

#92 reilly12

reilly12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

before taking any weight loss pills & medicine we should take advice with the doctor otherwise it's effect roughly on our health.

ask a nurse