Weightloss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

I know this is a very widely talked about subject but I would like to know if anyone is trying to lose weight?  Let's support one another here.  I personally have been trying forever and cannot seem to master actually doing it.  I lose five pounds and then I gain 10.  I wish I had the discipline to do it.  Also if you have lost weight and succeeded can you share that here.  I think it helps to have inspiration.  I love hearing about others successes and how you actually decided that enough is enough!  So please post away...

#2 mwilliams1319

mwilliams1319

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

I tried just about everything.  So far, the only thing that's worked was to work with a personal trainer at the gym I belong to.  He set me on a nutrition plan and a workout schedule.  they were also able to test my metabolism and set my nutrition plan to be under my metabolic rate, which is hard, but had been working.  The fact that I am shelling out all this money has probably been the biggest motivator. biggrin.gif  Anyways, so far I have lost 25 pounds with another 20 to 30 to go.

For the most part I would recommend, writing down how much you eat, that has really helped me, and to find a workout partner.

hope that helps.

#3 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

It does help but my problem is not putting food in my mouth.  Again I am fine for days & then I crave something and bam back to the old eating habits again.  One day I just want to say that is it!

#4 oblivion2288

oblivion2288

Trifecta of Death [Dark Sprite]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:57 PM

interesting topic, lol. well actually i lost some weight about 2 years ago now, when i was a sophmore. i cut back on portions and calories (i should probably excercise more but i really don't like to, i walk home from school pretty regularly, but that's only about a 10 minute walk. i hate excercising, lol). from what i've read it's more about portion than what you're eating. atkins and low carb diets are supposed to be horrible for you. i don't know though, different stuff works for everyone. i'v also heard it works to have many small meals a day instead of fewer larger ones, but i don't have the time for that

#5 moons_affair

moons_affair

everyone's doing it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

Odd to find this now.

I recently lost 25 pounds and I am still losing.

I tried for years before I finally had success.  The big secret is that the key will be different for everyone.

I tend to get obsessive compulsive.  I've done the starving and the puking and the atkins and south beach and liquids and solids and blablabla.

Then one day I woke up.  I wish I could explain it.  I started parking farthest back in every parking lot, work, grocery store, so that I was walking even a few steps more.  As simple as it sounds, just move... I count cals, watch sodium and sugars...it's hard.

Also, small frequent meals.  You burn cals as you digest.  I eat tons of fruit, veggies, salads, proteins...pay attention to vitamins and minerals.   I cut out sodas and started drinking water, tons of water, milk, orange juice, but mostly WATER.

I'm still trying to lose more weight.  I have another 40 pounds to go.  Its hard.  In fact just tonight I went and bought a coke.  Moderation is the key and it isn't easy.

#6 mwilliams1319

mwilliams1319

You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

oh, I am the same way, trust me. smile.gif  I did find writing down what I eat and how many calories it was help.  when I saw how many calories were in some of the things I was eating, i really started working on how I was eating.  I still have my bad days, so I will just add on an extra 10 minutes to my cardio.  

Also, I have the most horrible sweet tooth.  If there is a sweet in the room, I will eat it.  So I allow myself something like ice cream or candy or whatever at least once a week.  I just plan it into my calories.  

Also, you should look at when you eat and if you are truly hungry.  I eat a lot when I am bored or depressed, so I try harder to find other things to occupy my time. smile.gif

#7 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:03 PM

How the heck do ya find the damn key?  It is so confusing.....

#8 moons_affair

moons_affair

everyone's doing it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(mwilliams1319 @ Sep 13 2005, 10:02 PM)
Also, you should look at when you eat and if you are truly hungry.  I eat a lot when I am bored or depressed, so I try harder to find other things to occupy my time. smile.gif

Couldn't have said it perfect, this needs stressing.

I don't know beautifulsoul.
I was over 200 pounds for a very long time.  I don't know what changed.  This isn't easy.  I am weak and I have an addictive personality.  Quitting smoking was easier than adjusting my life to be healthier.  But I made that choice.

I still stare in the grocery aisles at all of the candies and doughnuts and I want them.  I will walk in circles debating with myself, "do I need it....how will I feel later?"

If you need someone to talk you down off the hershey cravings, PM me or e mail me.  You can't do it alone.  I have several friends I call when I want a herhsey.  it helps.

#9 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

When I quit smoking that is when I turned to food.......I have a love hate relationship with food.   I know you just have to say no but food is everywhere and it is so intergrated into our lives.  Thank u I will take u up on your offer cuz I really think it is important to talk to people like yourself that have been there & done that.

#10 María José

María José

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

when being a child i used to be very very thin (skinny)
then when i was about 14 i gained some pounds
which i lost long ago
now i 'm thin again sometimes even called a skinny. haha

#11 EchoesImmortal

EchoesImmortal

00:06:27.7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

I am also on a diet. I made it up myself, I follow my own rules, and - most importantly for me - I try to keep it fun. :cD I have problems losing weight 'cause I have all these systems out of whack apparently, which prevents me from losing weight properly, so I guess I'll update in a month on progress.

#12 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:25 PM

That would be cool maybe we can all support one another.  I think it is healthy to lose weight and to take care of our bodies cuz they are our temples.  I am going to start tomorrow to. Hopefully I will stick with it.  One day at a time.....Right?

#13 moons_affair

moons_affair

everyone's doing it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(beautifulsoul @ Sep 13 2005, 10:25 PM)
That would be cool maybe we can all support one another.  I think it is healthy to lose weight and to take care of our bodies cuz they are our temples.  I am going to start tomorrow to. Hopefully I will stick with it.  One day at a time.....Right?

One day at a time.
One day slipped does not scrap weeks or months of hard work.

We will support each other.

If I can lose 25, I can lose 40 more easy.  And so can you guys.

#14 beautifulsoul

beautifulsoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:34 PM

Let's go for it!!!!   I am ready & we can support each other in this battle!

#15 Kaiyuan87

Kaiyuan87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(beautifulsoul @ Sep 13 2005, 10:34 PM)
Let's go for it!!!!   I am ready & we can support each other in this battle!

Agreed....Im just a lil overweight (in my opinion.... summer sucks for weight), but I definately need to lose some pounds. I am hoping that since I am starting college, and I wont have a car, I will have to bike EVERYWHERE. I am hoping that the biking will help (with trips to the gym too), and of course food moderation. Food moderation is obviously a big problem especially being a freshman in college.

#16 Dr. Frostbite

Dr. Frostbite

01000110 01100001 01101001 01101100

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

There is an easy way to lose weight. put a shotgun to your mouth, and pull the trigger, Almost 20 pounds gone right there.

#17 moons_affair

moons_affair

everyone's doing it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE(Kaiyuan87 @ Sep 13 2005, 11:45 PM)
Agreed....Im just a lil overweight (in my opinion.... summer sucks for weight), but I definately need to lose some pounds. I am hoping that since I am starting college, and I wont have a car, I will have to bike EVERYWHERE. I am hoping that the biking will help (with trips to the gym too), and of course food moderation. Food moderation is obviously a big problem especially being a freshman in college.

Not food moderation dear, starving works but has HORRIBLE side effects.  Your immune system is fucked.
It's nutrition balance.  You can eat a surprising amount if you are eating proper.

And dr frostbite - eat shit okay?

#18 minara

minara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,294 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:30 AM

I would like to try to lose weight again, I have a lot of curves on an already curvy body, so I need to slim a bit.

I lost weight a couple years ago, went from a size 18 to a size 11, in about 2 months.  DON'T ask =)  Seriously, I lost about 20-30lbs, and I did that Atkins diet.

I've since gained back about 10lbs.  Atkins really works....well it did for me.   The thing about Atkins is that it cuts carbs, which turn into fat.  With carb reduction in place, your body is forced to use the pre-existing fat instead of sugar for energy.  

Next time you grab something that has nutritional info on it, check the Carbohydrate amount.   For example, a can of soda has 43g of carbs.  Well, during that 2 month period I was consuming less than 10g of carbs a day.   So my body really had to use the fat to keep going.  I ate lots of cheese, tuna, other fish, green salads, eggs...meat products like crazy.

Although, after a while, it wreaks havoc on your system because you're lacking in vitamins which occur naturally in food.

#19 sychidelica

sychidelica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

Let me just say that I too have tried to lose weight, and still am.  I tried weight watchers and lost 75 pounds after my first kid.  But got tired of fat free everything.  And portion controll.  I know that it is a good thing in certain circumstances, but 6 doritos don't cut it. Did you know that a serving of most breakfast cereals is like 3/4 cup?
Anywho...Then I had another kids...need i say more?  Since I have tried atkins (13 pounds in 3 weeks) slim fast (who drinks that crap?) Weight watchers (couldn't stay on track this time.) Now trimspa.  (20 lbs. in 6 weeks.

#20 Danielle08

Danielle08

Bitchface

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

how funny to run across this today, this morning I was informed by my husband he wants to send me to fat camp because I can't seem to stick with anything. I eat all the time becasue of depression and obviously he doesn't help being 10 pounds that he is. I am thinking I need to see someone about the depression and just go to the gym, but it is SOOO hard! I have to find the time to drive there and to know what to do wit hmy son when I have no one on a regular basis to count on to watch him and it is just too much! I need to lose the weight I hate the way I feel and look all tired and achy! I think this is a great idea and we all need help from eachother! keep it up and I hope we  all find the lightbulb that one day we wake up and change for good!